• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no, they really haven't. Goro vs Machamp is one of the few match-ups that work outside of Pokemon vs Digimon/Yugioh rivalry and even then those rivalries aren't really a thing anymore.

I like Pokemon, but as Kirbonic put it, it's just not a good verse to use...in VS.
Yeah, its just a general issue with the Verse. There's very little to use in terms of banter potential, Pokémon are typically extremely one note in personality, and Pokémon Trainers are an absolute mess to use and typically don't have much in terms of matchups outside of like, Ash really, who has a few. Poke lore can also be vague and not the most quantified at times, and they generally just feel limited in what you can do with them. And typically, if a character has a matchup with a Pokemon, they also usually have a more thematic, more interesting matchup with another character. It also seems like it'd be generally hard to build an analysis around any non-legendary Pokemon. Most Pokemon Versus matchups have also just, fallen out of relevancy. Like I don't really see people still talking about Lucario vs Renamon, certainly nobody cares about a Gen 1 Starter Battle Royale anymore, and the Pokemon vs Digimon (and Yugioh) rivalry as a whole really has died down, Shadow vs Mewtwo isn't really talked about much either unless its ******** on the DB episode.

I think the only major Pokemon Versus fights left are:

Mewtwo runback (getting stomped by BWG?)
Arceus fight (getting stomped by Yggsdrasil or stomping Amaterasu, for some reason)
Ash MU (Yugi or Lucy really)

and to REALLY stretch it
Kyogre vs Chaos

Is Deoxys still popular in Versus? I remember he kinda was way back...

It's honestly kind of strange, that such an enduring megafranchise, literally the most profitable media franchise ever, isn't super suited for Versus just because of the type of series it is, lol.

Yeah, its just a general issue with the Verse. There's very little to use in terms of banter potential, Pokémon are typically extremely one note in personality, and Pokémon Trainers are an absolute mess to use and typically don't have much in terms of matchups outside of like, Ash really, who has a few. Poke lore can also be vague and not the most quantified at times, and they generally just feel limited in what you can do with them. And typically, if a character has a matchup with a Pokemon, they also usually have a more thematic, more interesting matchup with another character. Most Pokemon Versus matchups have also just, fallen out of relevancy. Like I don't really see people still talking about Lucario vs Renamon, certainly nobody cares about a Gen 1 Starter Battle Royale anymore, and the Pokemon vs Digimon (and Yugioh) rivalry as a whole really has died down, Shadow vs Mewtwo isn't really talked about much either unless its ******** on the DB episode.

I think the only major Pokemon Versus fights left are:

Mewtwo runback (getting stomped by BWG?)
Arceus fight (getting stomped by Yggsdrasil or stomping Amaterasu, for some reason)
Ash MU (Yugi or Lucy really)

and to REALLY stretch it
Kyogre vs Chaos

Is Deoxys still popular in Versus? I remember he kinda was way back...

It's honestly kind of strange, that such an enduring megafranchise, literally the most profitable media franchise ever, isn't super suited for Versus just because of the type of series it is, lol.
Banter issue is one - meaning either they fight against other monsters (youkai or kaiju or whatever). But afaik quite some significant monsters can speak "human language".

Trainer... Now that's an issue KP just mentioned.

Verse wise there are mainly Pokémon vs Digimon, vs Youkai Watch, vs Godzilla verse, vs Monster Hunter, vs Dark Souls, vs Final Fantasy, vs Sonic and Touhou... just any verse that has monsters.

Big matchups:

• Mewtwo runback (1. getting stomped by BWG? Or 2. Fighting Frieza which so many debaters rather have Megatron and find one incarnation where Megs is standing less than 3 m)
  • Arceus fight (getting stomped by Yggsdrasil or stomping Amaterasu, for some reason)
  • Ash MU (Yugi or Lucy really)
  • and to stretch it: Kyogre vs Chaos
  • and to REALLY stretch it:
    • Kyogre vs Chaos
    • Rayquaza vs Bahamut
    • Groudon vs Godzilla
    • Hoopa vs Yukari Yakumo (or by some stretch) Marisa Kirisame
    • Eternatus or Hydreigon vs King Ghidorah
    • Zacian vs Sif
Deoxys is still popular in vs - just a matter of fact a large pool of similar opponents are there that one could pair two and fight each other:

• Deoxys
  • Super Skrull
  • Cell (Dragon Ball)
  • Dark Samus
  • Foreigner (Abigail Williams)
  • Majora (LOZ)
  • Meta Knight
  • Galacta Knight

Just what I can spell out immediately

Last edited:
Banter issue is one - meaning either they fight against other monsters (youkai or kaiju or whatever). But afaik quite some significant monsters can speak "human language".

Trainer... Now that's an issue KP just mentioned.

Verse wise there are mainly Pokémon vs Digimon, vs Youkai Watch, vs Godzilla verse, vs Monster Hunter, vs Dark Souls, vs Final Fantasy, vs Sonic and Touhou... just any verse that has monsters.

Big matchups:

• Mewtwo runback (1. getting stomped by BWG? Or 2. Fighting Frieza which so many debaters rather have Megatron and find one incarnation where Megs is standing less than 3 m)
  • Arceus fight (getting stomped by Yggsdrasil or stomping Amaterasu, for some reason)
  • Ash MU (Yugi or Lucy really)
  • and to stretch it: Kyogre vs Chaos
  • and to REALLY stretch it:
    • Kyogre vs Chaos
    • Rayquaza vs Bahamut
    • Groudon vs Godzilla
    • Hoopa vs Yukari Yakumo (or by some stretch) Marisa Kirisame
    • Eternatus or Hydreigon vs King Ghidorah
    • Zacian vs Sif
Deoxys is still popular in vs - just a matter of fact a large pool of similar opponents are there that one could pair two and fight each other:

• Deoxys
  • Super Skrull
  • Cell (Dragon Ball)
  • Dark Samus
  • Foreigner (Abigail Williams)
  • Meta Knight
  • Galacta Knight

Just what I can spell out immediately
Some Pokemon can speak, but it still doesn't really negate the issue of personality and banter opportunity being incredibly low regardless of that.

And as you mentioned in the really stretch category, I haven't seen any Touhou fan who really wanted HOOPA vs Yukari over any of Yukari's other MUs, and frankly I didn't even know Hoopa was a character in the Pokemon series until I was on these boards, it seems like a legendary that just kind of passed by most people's minds, I don't really see it brought up in circles for Pokemon that should return. I think the only Touhou vs Pokemon MU with much standing is Satori vs Mewtwo, and again, for once, Mewtwo has more popular opponents, and the connections for that MU are paper thin in the first place. I guess one of Ghidorah's opponents could be cool, but doesn't Ghidorah have other popular opponents that aren't Pokemon?

Pokemon just generally seems to struggle in that its opponents almost ALWAYS have a better option, and most people just, dont seem very interested in seeing em on the show.

Some Pokemon can speak, but it still doesn't really negate the issue of personality and banter opportunity being incredibly low regardless of that.
Well which is why usually Pokémon are pit against other monsters.

I would personally say that Mewtwo vs Satori Komeiji is even less talked than Hoopa vs Yukari Yakumo but I get your idea.

Pokemon just generally seems to struggle in that its opponents almost ALWAYS have a better option.
This really. And quite a bummer because Pokémon is a big verse and very commercially successful, globally recognized franchise that a lot of characters can easily match against other fictional characters.

Again, usually Pokémon monsters are pit against other monsters and Pokémon trainers are usually pit against other monster trainers or tamers.
(Unlike Kirito who is pit against other characters from a wide array of verses some people begin to forget he is first pit against Shiroe and Maple because they are gamers with powerful avatars in their "online game world" distributed inside their "real world" in the verses.)

Dunno if Detective Pikachu vs Paramount Sonic will be Nintendo vs Sega version Omni-Man vs Homelander. But fun enough as I see.

Well which is why usually Pokémon are pit against other monsters.

I would personally say that Mewtwo vs Satori Komeiji is even less talked than Hoopa vs Yukari Yakumo but I get your idea.

This really. And quite a bummer because Pokémon is a big verse and very commercially successful, globally recognized franchise that a lot of characters can easily match against other fictional characters.

Again, usually Pokémon monsters are pit against other monsters and Pokémon trainers are usually pit against other monster trainers or tamers.
(Unlike Kirito who is pit against other characters from a wide array of verses some people begin to forget he is first pit against Shiroe and Maple because they are gamers with powerful avatars in their "online game world" distributed inside their "real world" in the verses.)

Dunno if Detective Pikachu vs Paramount Sonic will be Nintendo vs Sega version Omni-Man vs Homelander. But fun enough as I see.
It's a major franchise, but a lot of its characters just being... monsters without much to them beyond their basic traits really does hurt matchup potential. Any thematic connections are typically very simple and paper thin, and can also usually be made to several other characters as well. They also typically don't bring much to the table when it comes to a debate either. Idk they're just, not the most interesting things to use, despite how successful and large of a verse it is.

Holy shit watching a DB predictions video and there really is just insane amounts of people who just think Sonic is a planet tier verse at best. DB has caused instrumental damage to this franchises' perception.
I'm all for slandering DB's Sonic research, but let's not act as if a lot of people in general were just really hard on Sonic, especially back in the early 2010's. DB's abysmal Sonic research is a symptom, not a cause.

I'm all for slandering DB's Sonic research, but let's not act as if a lot of people in general were just really hard on Sonic, especially back in the early 2010's. DB's abysmal Sonic research is a symptom, not a cause.
Well, it definitely contributed massively. There's of course a lot of skepticism/dislike involved too.

Funnily enough, I remember back in the Early 2010's Game Theory hurt Sonic in versus a lot. I remember their theory about Sonic's speed getting thrown around in Versus debates back in the day a lot as "proof" LOL

Unironically, just watch that once DB says Super Forms are universal, majority will follow them lol

I remember when DBS multipliers were "hmm well I guess they could be that strong?" and after Beerus & Broly fight it went "so they can destroy millions of universes in setting with only 18" lmao

Also, tbf to Pokemon, that one Lusamine fight looks popularish in dedicated VS sites, but Im not feeling it happening as DB.

Unironically, just watch that once DB says Super Forms are universal, majority will follow them lol

I remember when DBS multipliers were "hmm well I guess they could be that strong?" and after Beerus & Broly fight it went "so they can destroy millions of universes in setting with only 18" lmao

Also, tbf to Pokemon, that one Lusamine fight looks popularish in dedicated VS sites, but Im not feeling it happening as DB.
If you mean Lusamine vs Ragyu Kiryuin, well that is popular enough to have a commissioned song so that is a possibility. This MU has become as popular as Ragyu vs Kaguya now, while Ragyu was mostly pit against Kaguya Ōtsutsuki back when Ragyu vs Lusamine has not become a thing.

Pretty much universal super form were a heavily debated topic until the late 10s where many people accepted Uni Sonic
remember when DBS multipliers were "hmm well I guess they could be that strong?" and after Beerus & Broly fight it went "so they can destroy millions of universes in setting with only 18" lmao
Remember it's many how many times your above baseline universal

I feel it's mainly popular with the community then in general vs forums cause ragyo is hardly that much in popular in her own series

Lusamine is popular but she's far from her peak years ago

You know I just realized that we had 3 3D fights in a row with BobaPred, ExcalRaiden, and BondWick. Think that’ll mean not many more 3D fights this season?
It was said there will be at least 2 likely 3 3D model fights for Season 9 2nd half.

Technically James Bond vs John Wick is the first 3d fight for Season 9 2nd half.

So one to two more to go. (It may be filled by a Sauron matchup though, esp. when Ner'zhul + Arthas were Sauron's number one requested opponent)

Last edited:
Also, I'll once again tackle older topic, but DB seemingly wants Swat Kats? That alone means missing out on Cole vs Alex has no real excuse lol

The real problem is, Cole vs Alex is a 3D fight and those cost a lot more. Much less opportunities to do those as well. It isn't high priority, and thus it might be S11 ep at this rate.

Also, I'll once again tackle older topic, but DB seemingly wants Swat Kats? That alone means missing out on Cole vs Alex has no real excuse lol

The real problem is, Cole vs Alex is a 3D fight and those cost a lot more. Much less opportunities to do those as well. It isn't high priority, and thus it might be S11 ep at this rate.
Just schedule it for next season

Skimming through the thread....
DBX is the best place for Pokemon fights really. Ash vs Yugi is the only Pokemon fight I see happening in the near future.
Sonic being planet level? You think that's bad. There's people that is questioning why Trunks vs Silver is happening when it's already established that SS2 Vegeta beats Shadow? So yeah, people think Sonic characters aren't Cell Saga level
Cole vs Alex is dead. Just forget about it
We should expect two more 3D fights this season

when is the last Death Battle did a match-up to capitalize on the hype for a newly released product that WASN'T a movie/TV show?

Wanda
Predator
Thor
Black Adam
have all movies this year and if you want to stretch it, Dragonball Hero for a DBS character, actually, now TWO DBS characters this year

and for TV we have Jinx (Arcane) and I suppose Boba for Book of Fett, and I guess Sauron counts since there's a LOTR show

so it seems we should make predictions on next year's season based on upcoming movie/TV shows, not on any other media

Heres medium representation for S1-S9A (no ExcaRaiden, BondWick or AdamApoc)

Total
Film 13
VG 120(+1)
Comics Duo 78
Non-M/D Comics 12
Anime/Manga 57(+1)
Real World 4(+1)
Books 2
Cartoons 20
TV Series 4(+1)
Web Series 5
Commercials 3
Myths 1

About half of VGs were in S1-S2 alone, but it's really not been balanced.

Apocalypse Brings the End Times to DEATH BATTLE!
DEATH BATTLE Fight Previews

Marvel's first mutant is here to herald the end of the world, and anyone who would dare oppose him!

Behold outerverse level Apocalypse

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back