• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Barney & Friends: The CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the profile is restored a decision needs to be made on whether Barney should even have a profle or not.

Bobsica, I understand your points; it is just the justification needs to be completely unambiguouss. I had my earlier profile deleted, Titan (Shadow Fight) delete because I didn't follow this properly. It was until after I work on the justification and proper evidence from a blog that the profile was allowed to remain.

Again, if we can have LazyTown profiles then I see no big deal with Barney. It just needs some reworking that I can be willing to help with if necessary.

LazyTown actually has good profiles.

Barney would need literal complete reworking and preferrably be created by another user.

Bobsican said:
WindGodAcheron said:
Anyway, this derailed the thread, but I just had to get it off my chest.
I personally agree that the profile is bad at the moment. But it should be restored by another admin for now and gradually worked on.
This was exactly what I had in mind for him, not to start straight up with a "perfect" profile.
We are all persons, we aren´t perfect, but it´s up to us to follow the path to it.
Bobsica, I understand your points; it is just the justification needs to be completely unambiguous. I had my earlier profile deleted, Titan (Shadow Fight) delete because I didn't follow this properly. It was until after I work on the justification and proper evidence from a blog that the profile was allowed to remain.

I'm fine with a barney profile, he does have actual legitimate feats shown in some of the scans, I don't see the problem with just fixing it.

WindGodAcheron said:
Anyway, this derailed the thread, but I just had to get it off my chest.

I personally agree that the profile is bad at the moment. But it should be restored by another admin for now and gradually worked on.
From how bad it is, it shouldn't be restored, and should instead be worked on in a sandbox/blog until it's in a usable state.

I don't really care whether or not Barney has a file, bit if he does have one, I don't think Bob should be the one to make it.

I remember specifically telling him he was gonna need to actually prove the stuff on the thread that accepted it, but instead he just copied it over from jbw. This has resulted in ongoing issues with Barney ending up wanked as hell when we haven't even established baselines such as whether or not we can use imagination feats, what implications are had by Barney being the product of someone's imagination, etc. To top it off, Bob reposted it mid revisions, which indireftly led to the little shitshow above when it got deleted again for being unsubstantiated.

Crabwhale was apparently going through the series. If we're to accept Barney, I feel like he should be the one to make it, and not Bob. I don't think Bob has bad intentions, but that doesn't matter so much as what he's actually done, and what he's done is enough to demonstrate to me that he cannot create this profile in a way that abides by our quality and proof standards.

Matthew Schroeder said:
LazyTown actually has good profiles.
Barney would need literal complete reworking and preferrably be created by another user.
Giving the evidence, I could work on Barney's Profile.

I'm leaning toward Barney not having a profile, as he isn't a character to get into a fight. That's the main difference between Lazy Town or Loony Tunes profiles. Those characters actually use their abilities in a fight.

A lot of the time when a character has a lot of hax, people ask "What's his leading move?", the thing is, Barney doesn't have one, it's Barney.

But if the majority vote on keeping Barney's existence to the wiki, then so be it. However, the profile should have real justifications based on consistent facts. As I'm sure stuff like Barney's Conceptual Manipulation is heavily wanked or at least misconstrued.

Tl; DR

I'm personally against the idea of Barney getting a profile on the wiki, but if Barney does get accepted, then we shouldn't jump the gun on making his profile as his previous one did. We should take our time and make sure it is accurate.

Characters not usually fighting hasn't stopped a good number of profiles from being made. The Ghost of Christmas Future comes to mind off the top of my head

Also, it isnt a vote for if he stays or not

Barney DOES in fact have a leading move which I even covered in the blog:

"Barney is well known as a character that would never actually fight, as his personality is strongly against such things.

What SBA (Standard Battle Assumptions) do? They turn him into someone actually willing to kill, removing said weakness, but he will still give priority to just turn him into his friend with his empathic manipulation, BFR him or incapacitate it. If all of those fail, he will just kill the target in lack of better options."

Nedge1000 said:
I'm not talking about the mindset to kill or something, I'm talking about how the series for the character is one were fighting takes place.

Things like Popeye, Lazy Town, and the Looney Tunes might be silly, and for children. They all at least have character that fight in universe.

At least that's my opinion, it's not like it really matters what I think in the grand scheme of all things.

Chartate101 said:
Its not about if the fight. Indexing>vs battles
Then why not have Barney, or Combined Human, or Composite Tree, or literally anything in existence if that's the case?

Where are the limits?

Why don't we just wait to make a profile until Crab finishes his rewatch, however long that may be? It seems silly to keep adding things to a profile like this. Just make one, GOOD profile rather than a shitty one that you keep adding to.

Then why not have Barney, or Combined Human, or Composite Tree, or literally anything in existence if that's the case?

Where are the limits?

The limit is pretty obvious: what your suggesting aren't fictional characters, whereas Barney is a character. Also, Slippery slope fallacy (claiming having a fictional character thats silly must lead to non fictional thought experiments)

I haven't seen a single piece of argument that invalidates Barney as a profile that can be featured here. So I'll vote to keep him for now.

If someone can show me why this character is inherently incapable of being indexed here, I'll change my mind.

Chartate101 said:
The limit is pretty obvious: what your suggesting aren't fictional characters, whereas Barney is a character. Also, Slippery slope fallacy (claiming having a fictional character thats silly must lead to non fictional thought experiments)
We have profiles that deal with the Real World. Those aren't fictional characters.

We have Composite Human, that isn't a fictional character.

Anyway, I don't care. Goodbye and goodnight.

Composite Human is explicitly stated to be an exception to the rule due to its prevalence within the greater vs battles community.

The Real World things that we have listed are non-controversial and actually measurable constructs. We don't have ordinary humans, we have animals and weapons. Combined Human and Composite Tree are theoretical constructs that don't lie in any fiction.

Andytrenom said:
I haven't seen a single piece of argument that invalidates Barney as a profile that can be featured here. So I'll vote to keep him for now.
If someone can show me why this character is inherently incapable of being indexed here, I'll change my mind.
This basically sums up my feelings. If we are voting, then I vote to keep it, but I hold that it is not a vote and should not be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back