• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Barney & Friends: The CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyle Ramos said:
Well if he was not imaginating barney anymore, wouldnt he just dissapear?
There were other kids there.

See? "Conceptual erasure resistance!!!1" because apparently a kid couldn't convince himself that their imaginary purple dragon friend wasn't real, and so he came back.

This is exactly the type of comically overanalytical, hyperliteral behavior that I'm talking about.

No, he didn't get conceptually erased nor did he "Regenerate" magically. These are interpretations that would only come from the mind of an adult seeking to give the character a profile in a Vs Debating site to use him on threads for memes. This is not a legitimate, honest interpretation that anyone else would have.

I'm skeptical of this because when nearly everything in the series consists of children imagining things along with their imaginary friend Barney, I feel *VERY* skeptical about believing that anything they do is having a true lasting effect in reality instead of just showing the children who watch the show the terrors wonders of imagining these things and how their imaginary friend is the evil overlord of darkness so nice to be around and can do a lot of stuff for them to have fun.

It honestly seems to me like exactly what the show keeps talking about every single time: Purely imagination.

FateAlbane said:
...And I'm asking for proof of "how do you know the kids aren't imagining that happening as well? "
Because they were at first just looking aroudn the telescope without Barney, then find an alien girl wanting to meet them.

Simply put, Barney has actual feats, granting the reality warping to the kids is straight up ridiculous.

This thread is turning into nonsense.

If Barney appeared in a photograph, which I haven't seen yet and am assuming is legit because I trust Crab, then he isn't mere imagination. That much is obvious.

Kyle Ramos said:
https://youtu.be/Os3LM2MTKr4 11:54 Yeah, if barney was just imagination, he would just get deleted. He is real and his profile is valid.
You can see two other kids there. Right in that shot.

Kyle Ramos said:
https://youtu.be/Os3LM2MTKr411:54
Yeah, if barney was just imagination, he would just get deleted. He is real and his profile is valid.
This point has been rendered moot many times over already, Kyne.

And I don't understand your immediate fixation with the character and the agreement with everything Bob is proposing considering you've been banned for many months.

Kepekley23 said:
This thread is turning into nonsense.
If Barney appeared in a photograph, which I haven't seen yet and am assuming is legit because I trust Crab, then he isn't mere imagination. That much is obvious.
OR it's just something that you're not supposed to take so heavily into account and place above the entire premise of the show, and interpret so literally. In fact, such an inconsistency should be dismissed in favor of the consistent idea of the character, rather than commit character assassination because of a single picture.

@ Matt

Because I want to. Simple as that. I've already told other people this: nobody has any authority on how I use my free time.

Secondly, I am merely stating facts: the fact that Barney has an actual, physical effect on the world around him is just that, a fact. An objective truth.

Despite that, you're basically arguing for Tier 11 Barney right now.

Anyway, I am extremely tired right now, and cannot continue this discussion.

If somebody would be willing to make a new thread, that'd be great.

> OR it's just something that you're not supposed to take so heavily into account and place above the entire premise of the show, and interpret so literally. In fact, such an inconsistency should be dismissed in favor of the consistent idea of the character, rather than commit character assassination because of a single picture.

You don't know the author's intent, so this is at best worthless and even if we assumed that to be the intention, it is completely irrelevant in this wiki and always was. I really can't care less about the intent of the author if the show clearly shows the opposite taking place

@Kep

1. It's not worthless because what's effectively being done here is ignoring the entire basic premise of the series. Rather than go by one picture we should go by the basic idea of the character that's firmly established.

2. It's not about 'Author Intent', it's about internal consistency. And authorial intent isn't completely worthless or dismissed. Or else we wouldn't accept interviews, guidebooks, additional statements or whatever if found possible.

...I personally see this as taking a show directed at children that is and always has been about "everything is the work of your imagination" or children imagining stuff in general and having fun with it and taking it LITERALLY as Reality Warping/Actual Reality and feats shenanigans. Which is antithesis to the series in my eyes.

That seems to me as thinking of the show in the entirely different direction of what is actually being portrayed.

Since I do not agree with this approach, I'll have to say I'd be against a Barney profile too if that's the way it's going to be handled. No, I do not have a thing against the character in itself. I just feel like sharing the opinions that the way it's being treated/rated is inherently wrong - thus if that's how it's going to be handled, count me along those against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back