• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Are web novel/comic characters allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we have plenty of Japanese Web novel and Web comic characters/verses here, I'm mostly asking about works outside of Japan which originate and thrive in internet communities.

I know they have to be fairly popular, but how popular would they need to be?

Are stories which originate on personal websites and other websites like wattpad allowed?

If they are allowed, there is another question I have...but I'll save that for later.

I ask this mostly because I feel we'd be missing out on a growing community and a magnitude of pretty good stories.

Yes, these verses are allowed but from original stories; henceforth, no fanfictions. Here are few characters listed here.

Editing Rules:

• All characters in VS Battles wiki profiles should originate within actual stories, from notable or popular works.

Well we obviously cannot allow all self-published works, just very popular and reasonably well-written and coherent ones.

I am leaning against that stories hosted in archives such as Wattpad should be allowed. I fear that we are going to be swarmed by Twilight level awful fan works that nobody here knows enough about to verify the accuracy for.

Unique and popular comicbook stories or Youtube animations are usually easier to allow than millions of usually mostly identical and poorly written fan novels.

Mind you, I wrote such a story myself long ago, and used to find fanfiction entertaining, but we have to try to make this site somewhat manageable, and not risk to spam the highest tiers with Mary Sue/Gary Stu shallow and unpopular ill-considered fan characters.

I am uncertain where exactly to draw the line, but would personally prefer to err on the side of caution.

Legit don't see how a work being terrible has anything to do with it being featurable.

Things that don't fit the tier system, have zero self-consistency I could see but if just has bad writing then why should that prevent it from getting profiles?

Note that I am not pressing for wattpad stories and the like here, I just have issues with this being used as a reasoning for deciding what is allowed here.

Well, I am far too tired and overworked to engage in a long discussion about this. Perhaps you can ask Matthew Schroeder to comment here?

@Andy

It was an argument of sum total context, and not wishing to have exaggerated fan characters take up too much room in the higher tiers, not the quality of the writing alone.

If poor writing was a disqualifying issue in itself, we wouldn't feature a lot of popular mainstream works either.

Works that are extremely incoherently written are more of an issue of course.

I would definitely not allow wattpad in general.

The minimum requirement for the border is that nobody can go ahead and write stories with the intent of having the characters featured here.

I'm not sure what you mean by exaggerated characters. If you mean things like Mary sues or characters that came out of an excess focus on power, then that is a issue of writing quality not an issue of the verse being inherently problematic to index.

Making an MC perfect in every way is only an issue in context of characterisation, it won't automatically cause problems when someone tries to scale their feats. Introducing higher dimensions out of nowhere and turning their characters tier 1 is only an issue in context of plot progression, it also isn't guaranteed to make scaling difficult for the character.

Also I highly doubt verses that fulfill other requirements, like having a notable following, will include so many fan-fictiony high tiered characters that it would be an actual concern.

DontTalkDT said:

The minimum requirement for the border is that nobody can go ahead and write stories with the intent of having the characters featured here.
That could be a problem but then again, what are the chances of someone doing that and actually getting a big enough following to warrant profiles here?

Andytrenom said:
DontTalkDT said:

That could be a problem but then again, what are the chances of someone doing that and actually getting a big enough following to warrant profiles here?
Yeah the following is the big thing. Same with creepypasta stories tbh.

I find it rather ironic given how many Light Novels, official published works and many with animated adaptations, do focus on making their main characters as overpowered as possible, and do introduce elements apparently solely to buff their powers more than anything >_>

Not disagreeing or agreeing with anything here, just rambling out loud.

Look, I just don't want to swarm this site with fan-novel characters that nobody here cares or knows enough about to maintain the quality of, or to drown the highest tiers with these types of unimportant characters.

We should mostly serve as a celebration of popular fiction, not as a marketing tool for overpowered borderline fan fiction.

Coherent popular web comic characters are fine, but we have the FCOC wiki separate for good reasons.

Also, I remember some insufferable extremely overpowered Mary Sue fan characters from when I used to read fanfiction several years ago, and don't want to encourage fan writers to go the Suggsverse route just to get some free publicity here.

Creepypasta are a well known form of online media, at least was, as it has receded in recent years. Imo, I see nothing wrong with only using original works by the original authors. Only the popular or well know ones though.

@Ant: Don't get me wrong, I was just pointing out is how official work, which supposedly has professional quality, is falling into the shortcomings that you'd expect to find in fanworks of inexperienced authors. Years ago the sort of LN protagonists of nowadays would have been criticized as Stu/Sues but now they are celebrated, authors focus on making overly perfect and overpowered wish fulfillment and all that, which is the same thing justifiedly criticized in poor fanworks.

Besides, isn't there another wiki dedicated to Fan Characters?

@Headless

It can very easily get out of hand, unless the works are extremely prominent, and do not get too exaggerated with the power levels.

Antvasima said:
Look, I just don't want to swarm this site with fan-novel characters that nobody here cares or knows enough about to maintain the quality of, or to drown the highest tiers with these types of unimportant characters.

We should mostly serve as a celebration of popular fiction, not as a marketing tool for overpowered borderline fan fiction.

Coherent popular web comic characters are fine, but we have the FCOC wiki separate for good reasons.
And I honest to god, can't see why this is a legitimate worry if we are still upholding the "only verse with notable following allowed" rule.

you bring up problems that you think come with allowing self published works, but I see little to no evidence given of these problems being something that actually has a good chance of occurring.

Sorry if that comes off as blunt, but that's how most of the arguments seems like to me.

@Tarta

I would argue that most current Marvel and DC Comics writers are of fairly low fan author level, so I see your point.

The problem is that the slippery slope argument is actually factually correct for this wiki. The more we widen the borders, the more our members urge for widening them even more, and we eventually risk to allow any unpopular fan work whatsoever. We also cannot ensure that such pages would be remotely accurate.

@Andy

Again, we keep fan works to the FCOC wiki, and notable published works here, and are not going to chanfe our standards in this regard. We havelikely already let in too many borderline characters as it is. I am too exhausted to argue about it though, so I would appreciate if Matthew could take over here.

Going by the most popular creepypasta or most well known: that would be Jeff the Killer, Mr. Bear (1999), NoEnd House, Laughing Jack, Goatman (Anansi's Goatman Story), Subjects (The Russian Sleep Experiment)

Sources for popularity are eh but this is what is thought:

Also most stories from Creepypasta Classics Wiki would be concidered popular works.

TartaChocholate said:
Suggsverse?
A story written by an author with a massive god-complex, who wanted to create the most overpowered fiction ever, invents nonsensical new words to describe his power levels, has claimed ownership of all reality and fiction, thinks what he writes is the truth, and believes that he is married to and has children with his most powerful character.

Andytrenom said:
The topic is about Self published works tho, not fan-fiction.
Wattpad and similar fan archives do not count as official. They still go under FCOC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back