• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

AP Gap Needed to Oneshot

Status
Not open for further replies.
The entirety of Total Drama, for one, isn't PIS, it's just

A show with high feats despite being centered around ordinary people

In all honesty Sera, is it really that hard to understand yourself? The rule is already in place. It has been for years. It's a simple additional clause in order to better manage our varying tiers which our current ruling cannot properly manage. It is about being fair, what exactly bothers you so much about fairness?

@DMUA

Total Drama is a show focused around making everyone suffer to ridiculous scales for that $100,000. The plot revolves around that. That's why their insane feats aren't outliers.

You can't just ignore every single instance of higher durability showing as being "PIS". Fiction frequently doesn't care for conventions or what should be considered scientific. It's not a fallacy or a Schrodinger's Argument, it's just accepting that it isn't 1 to 1.

If you believe the character has shown higher durability feats then you should make a CRT to upgrade their dura, not act like they're 8-C but can somehow survive 7-B attacks because they have gotten stomped by 7-B characters before.

Myriadofmemes said:
The rule is already in place. It has been for years. It's a simple additional clause in order to better manage our varying tiers which our current ruling cannot properly manage.
^ This is correct.

We already close threads for being AP stomps. The thing that we are trying to do here, is identifying the range where you should be wary of it.

No one is proposing "let's close each and every thread with an AP gap of ten times or more".

Simply "If the AP gap is more than ten times, keep in mind that a character can one shot"

The fact that it shouldn't...exist...in the first place. You think we haven't gotten rid of rules before? And you say that but according to some people it's not a rule, it's a rule of thumb (there's a difference).

Rule of Thumb: Matches between characters where one's AP is at least x-number amount of times greater than the others durability are considered outliers

Rule: Do not make matches between characters where where one's AP is at least x-number amount of times greater than the others durability

Violation of rules is punishable, duh, and too many freaking RV reports are "so and so is making a stomp match." Not a spite match, a stomp match, which again can be completely accidental.

You want fairness? Stop making so many damn rules that are situational and don't affect the wiki's content or the community itself as I've stated for the fifth time.

Nobody agrees with the 2nd option other than Weekly here. Everyone agrees with the 1st one.

Has there been a surge of reports for stomp matches while I was gone? I don't remember people getting reported for making a single stomp match because of an AP gap.

Yes, Assalt. If it's not trolls being reported, it's people making stomp matches. Not one stomp match but maybe a couple.

@Assalt

Not really, other than Sans. Reporting for stomp matches was always a thing, but it was never ban worthy anyway.

I remember more than just Sans, but that's off-topic anyway.

I already gave my opinion on the matter, however I like to add another thing, outside of possible Rule Violations etc.

With such a rule we severely limit the possible fights and interactions between characters, seeing that the first and foremost thing people will always do is checking if a given AP gap threshold is being met or not.

And then the discussion will immediately boil down in the direction of whether this is a stomp according to our rules or not, instead of how the fight would play out.

This can be very confusing and stopping people from making interesting matches. And especially for new people not so well suited with the things it may be even more a reason to refrain from becoming more active.

We already have that nonsensical "10 edit" rule because we cried to Fandom and they protect their brand (not us).

We dont need another rule to prevent new users even further.

@Raven

That's exactly what Matt was talking about. Thank you.

And then the discussion will immediately boil down in the direction of whether this is a stomp according to our rules or not

Literally the only thing that would change by adding a threshold is that people would simply complain when it's actually close to it.

I do not know how often you are in vs threads that don't involve hax, but people start complaining even with a x3 AP gap

@Raven

Quite on the contrary, we have people constantly worrying whether or not their threads are stomp matches. We have new users making stomp threads simply because they don't know any better. This will help clarify things for everyone as it will finally be a settled matter. It should logically reduce arguments about whether a match is a stomp or not, not increase them. The whole reasons for even discussing this in the first place is because we already have arguments pop up about AP stomps all the time, saying that there will be arguments is completely moot.

I'm kinda neutral. There is no way to not come into contradictions with verses.

After all, there are verses where someone can stomp the other with a X2 AP boost, and others where a X10 is still managable.

So what happens if we put one against the other? We can't use in-verse logic, as the two contradict the other, but we can't really give a numver without bending their rules.

I actually think this would encourage more possible match ups. for example if you can confirm that two characters in different tiers isn't a one shot you can feel more safe about creating a cross tier matchup for them.

It's very case-by-base, however, even if it's purely a physical match.

Making number crunching needlessly more important has people act oblivious to stuff like skill, abilities, and even hax sometimes, and makes debating very stale. It should be obvious when there is a stomp; if there is reason to doubt that it is a stomp there is reason to debate.

The way things are right now are fine. The One-Shot page as it stands is easy to understand, and people who accidentally make stomp matches don't exactly look up the AP gap to begin with.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
I'm kinda neutral. There is no way to not come into contradictions with verses.
After all, there are verses where someone can stomp the other with a X2 AP boost, and others where a X10 is still managable.

So what happens if we put one against the other? We can't use in-verse logic, as the two contradict the other, but we can't really give a numver without bending their rules.
And others where 2 degrees of infinity aren't enough to one-shot someone.

We should also really discuss blades and small area attacks eventuallty.

Pretty sure mosquitos can affect some 9-Bs after all.

Dargoo Faust said:
It's very case-by-base, however, even if it's purely a physical match.
It is.

But case-by-case is useful only when you have a general rule to refer to.

If you lack the general rule, case-by-case is just a fancy way to say "no rules"

Ricsi-viragosi said:
We should also really discuss blades and small area attacks eventuallty.
Pretty sure mosquitos can affect some 9-Bs after all.
Ricsi actually has a good point here, piercing attacks and slicing attacks can affect stuff that blunt attacks couldn't hope to damage.

Huh, so this is what my Garloyle's thread caused...

Anyway, I would agree with using real life example to determinate the gap, for instances, athletic people (such boxxers or westlers) are considerable stronger than average humans, but that do not means they are oneshoted or can't cause damage to the others (someone mentioned a gap of 7.5 above).

Stamina also helps, since sometimes people faints since they are unable to stand the pain, meanwhile other are able to stand more time.

VBW is so obsessed with number crunching, rules, equalizations and standardizations that it frequently pushes for things that facilitate VsMatchups for the sake of getting through matches quicker and putting them on profile.

Almost like a production line.

Who wins? Just look at calcs and see which has more Bigattons. Or just look at MIND HAX(tm) and see who haxes more people at once. Speed difference? Let's equalize it! Character holds back and has morals? Both combatants are bloodlusted!

Now this. This is as bad as the time people wanted to allow Stat Equalization in matches.

I think 7.5x should be used barring cases where the character has impossible levels of resilience (being able fight with their torso ripped out, nearly completely bleeding out etc)

Oh yeah, Stat Equal was disxussed time ago, although it was rejected in that same thread iirc.

That's way I tend to use more tier 9 and 8 characters, anything above then it becomes less interesting; people likes to threat most battles as DB battles, but that is just delairing.

So like.

Am I the only one that thinks Adding matches causes more trouble then it should?

Let's just go over this and I apologize for derailing

What does match addition do?

Gives people motivation to add matches

What happens because of it?

Spite Threads

Bias

FRA without substance

Flame Wars

Everything Matt mentioned

People calling "Stomp" after debating for a long time.

Adding matches to profiles....Generally causes more trouble then needed, and I don't see motivation to make them as good enough reasoning to deal with the BS that comes with it

Let's put it this way.

We have to close stomp threads. I think that we all agree on that point.

AP gap can turn threads into stomp threads. I think that we all agree on that as well.

In order to determine whether or not the AP is in favor of someone, we need to draw a line at one point where we say "this is one shot territory".

Would you rather have a ridiculously blurred line due to no standard existing, or a well drawn one that can help you judge the situation?

@Gargoyle

Replace "Adding Matches" with "Making Battles" and your argument is exactly the same.

Nevertheless this thread isn't about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back