• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

AP Gap Needed to Oneshot

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't, because, as our One-Shot page says, the AP gap changes between different works of fiction. Meaning there is no consistent basis for one-shot. The 5x thing is a rule passed along by various members in an attempt to pretend the rule exists when it, in fact, does not.

I've heard the gap described as anywhere from 2x to 20x. So why 5x? Why that number in particular? Do you have a reason?

Because a 5x gap is what we generally accept as an AP stomp, look in literally any VS thread that was closed due to the AP gap.

@Ant If Bambu makes a good point then a lot, and i mean a LOT of threads have been closed for no reason whatsoever.

I thought this was discussed while the One-Shot page was being talked about. There is no very specific multitude for AP Vs Durability to be an AP stomp, since that's fairly inconsistent in fiction. However, Reppuzan did confirm that a 100x difference is legit big enough to be a stomp. And it makes sense, given I vaguely recall the that 10x was the speed gap required to be a speed stomp.

But just because the gap is less than 100 doesn't mean it isn't a stomp, but there does have to be other elaborate reasons. Saying things like 2x or 3x is enough for a one shot really pushing it though.

As DDM says. It changes so there is literally no determinate number. I'd say 100x is (probably) going to consistently be a stomp. Depends on the fiction in question.

It probably depends on the verse tbh. Looking at the AP of characters stomped by Character A and B is probably the best way to determine this. If Character A stomped a 23 kiloyon character, then he most likely can stomp characters of that tier. It depends on the situation though. Normally x5 should be in no way enough to stomp.

A 100x difference seems too high for me as well.

Not quite, did't say there aren't other things to consider. Though, to be fair, putting a character that's 8x faster against a character that's 64x stronger actually would be interesting. If the weaker character also has something to make them more versatile and can at least chip damage the stronger through AP, then they might have a chance I'll add.

AP is an important factor but simply point our finger at a mere difference factor of X to completely negate the entire debate is not always a solution. It may be when virtually no participant of the thread has any form of hax or other means to affect the opponent in any way and we are pitting two characters against each other who have no other ability outside their AP.

In addition a gap of 2-5 times for the most part still is within the same tier, meaning both participants are in the general ballpark.

And when people are in the general ballpark we then further look at how they get their scaling. Was it an utmost casual attack when they performed the feat? Was it a special technique? Was it a general punch? A last resort? If they withstood a certain AP value, have they withstood so without any form of damage? Have they merely survived? Were they bruised? Heavily injured?

Simply saying: Oh this guy is 40 X and the other is 200X all arguments are redundant is not applicable for the most part due to these reasons. Someone who can at max withstand 200X is not automatically completely immune to any attack below that threshold. Someone who can dish out 200X with specific moves does not automatically get that scaling for each and every of his bread and butter moves.

I havent gone into detail with hax, which completely shake up the entire thing even further, once, because they often ignore general durability rules and second because in a match without knowledge and IC rules even someone who gets the 200X can quickly fall to a 40X character who uses hax the other has no defense about. One might as well turn the tide and say: character with 40X has a specific hax move which the other, who has 200X, cant defend against - lets call it a stomp.

VSbattles are not a numbers comparison. They are debates where we ponder each individuals characteristic, physical/magical prowess (usually by referring to calcs), special abilities and synergies against each other and in the end decide on a more likely winner.

Doing anything else completely negates the reason for the existance of the vsbattles subsection.

What Raven said. Also People are taking fictional characters battles much too seriously.

Well, the difference between the "Child fighting an Athelte" is that the Athlete is stronger, faster, and smarter all at the same time. If a character is simply 5x stronger, while the other could be faster or smarter, than that's not really enough to be a stomp.

@Dark Then equalize everything about them except their tier. Equalize speed, equalize intelligence, equalize everything, but its still an athlete fighting a child. Is that a stomp?

@Medeus

That is true. Cutting weapons also factor in.

It isn't one-shot. The athlete will win most times purely due to the fact that only one side holds a clear advantage over the other.

Basically the case being made here is expecting to look at this in a largely black and white scenario when that is literally never the case. A thread will 99.9999 and more 9s into infinity include more than simple AP. What you're suggesting is every thread be decided purely by AP and 5x is one-shot when A. abilities, intelligence, skill, etc will factor in all the time and B. 5x is not one-shot.

Yes, if they are absolutely equal save for AP and one side holds a, say, 5x or 10x or even 2x AP advantage, they will win. That doesn't make a thread including abilities an AP stomp. Or one-shot.

Threads are a gray area. End of story.

Then there are a lot of threads that were closed under this premise that need to be reopened

Speed is the only stat we're allowed to equalize, and the child could still run away, and is a smaller target; there could still be ways around it. There are true stories about large animals like Lions and Tigers getting killed by nats and fleas, because they accidently tore their faces off trying to kill the nat.

Yeah, there are sharp and cutting weapons that can also play a part. Also, there's a big difference between a stomp and a clear cut/easy victory. A stomp means two things, is that Character B literally stands 0 chance, and is not only defeated, but obliterated. Also, normal humans do survive Street level attacks all the time IRL; so that's another thing to consider.

Antvasima said:
I think that an athlete can extremely easily kill a child, if you forgive the mental image.
Absolutely. If the only advantage in the fight is a 5x AP advantage on one side and nothing else, yes, they are going to win most cases. But that child can harm the athlete to some degree, nonetheless. Additionally, again, this is ignoring literally every other factor in every VS thread ever.

Anyway IMO there shouldn't be arbitrary rules set for what gap necessitates an AP stomp or even a speedblitz. Can't literally all of this can be handled within the context of the vs debates themselves as opposed to meta-debates toward a (realistically temporary) consensus as to what constitutes any given "stat stomp"?

Most fighting verses (particularly Shounen) ignore the existence of brain damage, concussions, hemorrhages, etc, like Dragon Ball, My Hero Academia, and, from what I've seen, Hunter X Hunter. One moment Goku gets a concussion and (possibly) memory loss from falling down a cliff as a baby, but then he takes hits from fighters many times stronger than himself with only a little injury.

Also, characters might not have this kind of physiology due to not being human or humanoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back