• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A skeleton sorcerer fights a squid sorcerer

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am correct, we don't disallow the chance of BFR based on the opponent eventually getting out and coming back for revenge. This is about winning this fight.

Another thing I remembered- the Verbal Component. Mind Flayer has high speed, but that doesn't boost talking speed. And, without turn order, chances are Ainz would react and cast Death instead, which doesn't require a verbal component. After all, I doubt Ainz would let Mind Flayer get past "Wi-", especially since he knows Wish Upon a Star.

And since Mind Flayer needs Death Ward in order to resist instant death, Mind Flayer dies.

Does not a verbal component need to actually be said, which is why being silenced prevents spell casting? You have to say it, not believe or think you do. I could be wrong, though.

No, certain creatures are totally mute in terms of sound but have telepathy. Telepathy is another form of verbal components.

Im though regular Mind Flayers could only use spells up to 6th level tho.

Btw if he resists time manip and is more faster then Ainz then cthulhu boy gets my vote then

He doesn't have passive time resistance and Wish is really his only way of winning- also, sorcerer MF, not regular.

Edit: At the end of the day, Ainz just has more ways to kill while Mind Flayer has to start with a specific skill with a specific request that isn't even on his profile yet. Not to mention, if Ainz starts the battle with Aura of Despair already on, the staff's boost would certainly not help the Mind Flayer's chances.

I still believe that Mind Flayer's chances are lower as it needs to decide on specifically that one set of spells. But I would like to see other's inputs.

Ainz chances are much higher of winning, I vote Ainz

Ainz starts with Time Stop or Grasp Heart right away, either resulting in MFS's death.

MFS is required to null Ainz resistance first and then mind control. Its slower and Ainz basically knows the same spell only possibly more powerful.

Supergenius intellect with knowledge from the Elder Brain, and they wouldn't go for Wish on a Lich, why?

Jesus...I left for one day and ended up getting completely left behind by my own thread.

Can someone tell me the current votes so I can add them to the OP?

The Mind Flayer is smart but it can't know everything. It is possible that it goes for another spell with less drawbacks than Wish, and if so, they lose.

Not only is Wish not on the profile as of yet, but even if we count Wish, I'd say Ainz wins 7/10 times.

As for Axl's vote, he didn't actually show ample evidence to support his vote at all so I wouldn't count it. Speed isn't a real issue as we have agreed this really comes down to the starting spells- Mind Flayer isn't meleeing Ainz anytime soon.

Edit: @Mr. Bambu's vote also came from Ainz being stunned, which he has high resistances across as explained above. Although if he came back and went with Wish instead I'd imagine his vote still counts.

Votes pretty close, but Axl and Bambu both have to come back and adjust their reasons since their points have been debunked (Didn't explain how speed helps MF/Ainz has extremely high mind and status resistances so he resists any stuns or mind attacks).

Reasons being? There's ample proof for both sides; coming down to Wish or instant death, or the fact that Ainz would win more often since the Mind Flayer has to lead with Wish and "remove from existence" as even mistakenly saying "Destroy the Lich" results in him ressurecting.

Also, can we even count Wish in the argument if it's not on the profile yet? I haven't got an answer to that yet.

It seems as if @MrKing had a little case of copy and paste.

Replace "Me" with "Jugger", as Jugger47 was the one who tallied the votes.

Going to just bump into 'ere since I'm enjoying this fight and I want to see if there are new opinions...

You can vote based on what is going to be on the profile. I've been out all day and don't intend to read through what has been said above, since I fear it'll boil down to not much, but yeah.

Mind Flayer's chance of victory completely depends on if he says "Destroy the lich" rather than "Erase the Lich forever". Simply destroying Ainz will do nothing, he'd plop back into existence and Flayer will instantly be killed by an angry Ainz since you made him use one of his revives.

So I vote Ainz on the basis of a more likely chance of performing the action that wins (Which is... his basic actions at the beginning of a fight).

So I'm assuming we've now changed the assumption of what Ainz does from "time hax" to something else?

I mean, since the UI doesn't exist anymore, Ainz would probably use

• "Discern Enemy: This spell allows the user to identify the enemy's estimated level."
The moment Ainz sees Mind Flayer is of a high level, it's flat out PvP. AKA, Timestop. Even if Flayer kills Ainz while casting Discern Enemy (Which is speed of thought so like, not exactly a slow spell), Ainz revives with new info that his opponent could 1-shot via a seemingly fast version of Wish Upon a Star and Flayer is dead anyways.

The very specific way for Flayer to win is to say "Erase this lich" rather than destroy, obliterate, kill, whatever. Anything other than utter permanent death that counteracts revival is useless here.

> Timehax

> Resists timehax

> MF's mindhax is also thought based

okay

Based on a rule that doesn't exist

Like the 5x oneshot thing

Resisting timehax stops Ainz from using deathhax how?

It's not like he's completely reliant on timestop either, hell he practically expects it against players of any competent level. Literally, you need Timestop Resistance to even be a worthwhile opponent in Yggdrasil. It's very important.

Let's list off some chronomancy (time magic) that can be resisted, shall we? Since literally all votes are ignoring a feature of D&D- the stupid resistance.

• Aforementioned Stasis spell, which places targets in suspended animation (literally time stop, which they can resist just fine)
  • A boatload of simple ones that offer enhanced speed via acting faster (heightened time)- Haste, Hustle, Knight's Move, and so on
  • Slow, which is the same as stopping time except less effective. Luckily this is a low-tier spell.
  • Aging Touch, which speeds up time for the target and causes them to take "age damage". There are several others like this, too.
NOT TO MENTION MY GOOD PAL TEMPORAL REPAIR

It makes you explicitly immune to time effects of all kinds. This includes spells like Forced Dream, which apparently just flat out eliminates some arbitrary amount of time in the universe (probably an outlier AP wise). And this includes universal time stop.

And finally. Mind Flayer can read minds. As a thought. If Ainz does open with the stuff you say he does (I doubt it, I feel as though this is being bent in his favor because who honestly cares), MF can do the same. Read thoughts.

And at that point it would be in character to plane hop away and be immune to the time of that universe, only to grab Ainz later.

You know, this might not have been such a horrible idea after all. This is getting good.

Temporal Stasis is literally time stop

The only reason the spell Time Stop can't be resisted in-verse is because it has no combat applications, you can't do anything but give yourself insta-prep time

MF resists time stop.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
You know, this might not have been such a horrible idea after all. This is getting good.
Just getting annoying since people are ignoring things lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back