• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A skeleton sorcerer fights a squid sorcerer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
This is a horrible idea, but **** it. I haven't taken enough Ls since I joined this wiki.

Both characters have nothing restricted. Have fun.

Ainz Ooal Gow: 5 (Jugger47, ThePixelKirby, Yobobojojo, Axl233, Akreious)

Mind Flayer Sorcerer: 0

Inconclusive: 3 (Udlmaster, Ricsi-viragosi, Mr. Bambu)

ZacharyGrossman273 said:
Does he start with it before any other abilities? Mind Flayers tend to mind control as a first action.
Ainz has an extremely high resistance to mind manipulation since he's undead.

Suprisingly, I've gotta give this to Ainz, based on Mental Immunity, and the fact it's Sorcerer vs Lich

If it were Elder Brain vs Lich then it'd be an actual fight. But for now, Ainz takes this via Time Stop and Instant-Death hax.

Alright, so I know I wasn't going to say anything, but after rereading the MFS's profile, would this ability make a difference at all?

• Spell Resistance: Spell Resistance is an automatic defense system which nullifies magic that interacts with the Mind Flayer- while this potentially means spells cast by allies will fizzle out, this also means hostile spells are ineffective against a Mind Flayer.
Literally all I'm going to ask before I go back to being an observer.

Eh no point. [Time Stop] in D&D is a 9th level spell, mindflayers don't have a strong enough resistance to withstand that, thats some of the most overpowered spells in D&D out there.

He can probably resist [Death] but certainly not [Grasp Heart] as it would be considered at or near the same strength as [Time Stop]

Jugger47 said:
Eh no point. [Time Stop] in D&D is a 9th level spell, mindflayers don't have a strong enough resistance to withstand that, thats some of the most overpowered spells in D&D out there.
He can probably resist [Death] but certainly not [Grasp Heart] as it would be considered at or near the same strength as [Time Stop]
Actually, not quite.

There's always Epic Level spells and in 3.5e and 3e there's 25th level spells. 9th isn't commonly the strongest magic.

Right, but Ainz's mind resistance means he'd likely be able to last the Mindflayed for at least a while- even though such matters less because Ainz will likely start the battle with one of his higher level spells, such as Time Stop.

Assuming Ainz is in character and has never seen a Mind Flayer before, he'd likely be exceedingly careful because that's how Ainz is; if he isn't sure what he's up against, he's not going to hold back. So, Time Stop + Grasp Heart or another instant death spell is very likely off the bat.

So, vote for Ainz.

Mind Flayer generally opens combat by insta-mind-hecking, which it looks like Ainz does not resist. This is used to stun their opponents (assuming it works and they don't resist, which is relatviely common in D&D), and then proceed to advance on them, generally adding them to a set of mind controlled slaves or, in this case, beginning to devour their minds, their one hit kill move.

That said, Mind Flayers are aware of undead and liches. In verse, these actions don't work on undead (what with not having a functioning brain). So after that I suppose Mind Flayer simply finds another method to kill him now that Ainz is dazed.

Since MF's psionic attacks are thought based and instant, he's going to get the first move off. No movement of any kind needed, just thinking.

I vote Mind Flayer.

Resisting time stop. All D&D characters do to some degree.

Mind stun is just thought based, and stuns a single target for several minutes- enough time for Mind Flayer to close distance and kill. The only reason it isn't (hugely) game breaking is because adventurers travel in groups and it normally works on one.

Also is time stop thought based? If not, MF is thought based so faster on speed equal.

They specifically can resist the spell Stasis, which has a varying description from edition to edition. Put simply, Stasis puts the subject into a permanent stasis in which time stops flowing for the subject.

Here's the stasis one.

Well.

1. Gotta link to the discussion? Not doubting it, just need to know for future reference.

2. Even if the above is true- Mind Flayer has some argument for resisting Time Stop. Ainz does not have an argument for resisting Mind Hax.

1. No. It seems to be just treated as fact, like with Hits limited range being weaker then, say DIO

2. Ainz does have mind resistance though

1. So like the 5x oneshot rule. One of those.

2. Does he? I didn't see it but then again I'm an idiot.

Ah

Didn't catch it

In that case my vote shifts to incon, really just depends on who gets their hax off first if Ainz is also thought based.

Mind Flayer gets theirs, Ainz is stunned and MF kills them.

If Ainz gets theirs off first, MF is stasis'd and they get killed.

So really it's a who gets who type deal.

Incon.

Switching to Incon was well.

Since Ainz has no idea what a Mind Flayer is, he'll most likely not start out with Time hax, as well, Time Hax seem like they don't work well on comparable beings, see Shalltear Fight and how he didn't use it once in that fight.

And it comes down to "Who goes first" game.

Udlmaster said:
Switching to Incon was well.

Since Ainz has no idea what a Mind Flayer is, he'll most likely not start out with Time hax, as well, Time Hax seem like they don't work well on comparable beings, see Shalltear Fight and how he didn't use it once in that fight.

And it comes down to "Who goes first" game.
That's not what happened whatsoever. Shalltear is specifically made for the meta, which requires some level of resistance of time manip to be viable in verse.

"Some level of resistance of time manip"

> Literally showed that

alright

I don't need the explanation, I don't think you would (or at least at this point I hope you wouldn't) lie to me about something so simple.

Right now we have two people with an arguable case of resisting each others insta-hax.

Also, how good is Ainz' Mind Manip resistance btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back