• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

a problem with keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sus

okay this should be obvious, we should put keys on top of the page instead of the bottom

it causes confusion when reading the profiles as after reading i realize I didn't check the keys and have to read again to understand, or i need to go to the bottom and then to the top, which also causes confusion, it would also be helpful for new comers who barely read anything other than the tier and some abilities

i believe it happens for most of you, so we should start putting keys on top of the page, below the tiers would be a suitable place IMO

it's also easy to imply, a simple copypaste

that's pretty much it

disagreements :
Dereck03
DemonGodMitchAubin
QuasiYuri

agreements :
Leotamer
Confluctor
InfiniteSped
Livinmeme
Johnboy
Hunterzillas
Ganasto
Kulf_Boba
catzlaflame
Delta333
FinePoint
Nepuko
Coolboy6
Maskofthedragon
KingAllen30
Accelerate420
Tarang123

Last edited:
Obvious reason is that it's excessive amount of work with basically very little payoff. But aside from that, several other staff members preferred keys being at the bottom as having it right next to the tiers makes it seem rather redundant. Though, there was a suggestion to have keys both top and bottom, but that also made it redundant.

Obvious reason is that it's excessive amount of work with basically very little payoff. But aside from that, several other staff members preferred keys being at the bottom as having it right next to the tiers makes it seem rather redundant. Though, there was a suggestion to have keys both top and bottom, but that also made it redundant.
we don't have to go through all pages at once, it can be done slowly by start doing it with newly edited/created pages, and go on with every pages that gets changed

it's a copypaste thing so

and how does that make reading profiles easier?

the only reason presented that it takes time to move them even though we don't have to do it in a single day, if the page gets edited for any reason, a quick copypaste for the keys won't harm or take time actually

I think keys being at the bottom is a huge problem with readability. Really, i think keys should be listed before any category divided by keys, because otherwise you are introducing the context of information after providing the information. And when people use the key name and tier interchangeably, it makes no sense to seperate them across the page because it makes it unnecessary harder to translate them.

Keys are identifiers, and identifiers should be the first thing presented. For comparison, this is akin to having a character's name be listed at the bottom.

I think keys being at the bottom is a huge problem with readability. Really, i think keys should be listed before any category divided by keys, because otherwise you are introducing the context of information after providing the information. And when people use the key name and tier interchangeably, it makes no sense to seperate them across the page because it makes it unnecessary harder to translate them.

Keys are identifiers, and identifiers should be the first thing presented. For comparison, this is akin to having a character's name be listed at the bottom.
this, exactly

OP makes a good point. I suggest we start making this now for future profiles, since 28k pages change might be too much for everyone.

But I don't think refusing it categorically for all is a good idea. We're doing the same thing to References anyway, and this is far less work for future profiles.

Oh, and I obviously agree.

exactly

pages gets updated on a daily basis and dozen of scans gets linked and walls of texts gets written down

is it really hard to copy paste keys while making the hard steps?

for old pages, they need a massive revision anyway, the key are still not an issue

Explaining what each key even means should be next to those keys, especially since a lot of pages are a goddamn novel between them right now.

I disagree. I mean, you either read the page or you don't.

Keys being at the bottom isn't necessarily the best, but also is far from the worst.
Yuri, I don't believe something has to be at its worst for us to suggest a better change. The OP suggest something that is ergonomically better, even in my own profiles - especially when there are many keys and Power&Abilities is filled - this can get annoying. They might as well have been below the Notable Fights section...

Changing only when something is at its worst is what causes stagnation. Where's the harm in applying this for future profiles when it is a positive change? And it costs no energy, we'll just put what we'd do at the bottom in the start.

Yuri, I don't believe something has to be at its worst for us to suggest a better change. The OP suggest something that is ergonomically better, even in my own profiles - especially when there are many keys and Power&Abilities is filled - this can get annoying. They might as well have been below the Notable Fights section...

Changing only when something is at its worst is what causes stagnation. Where's the harm in applying this for future profiles when it is a positive change? And it costs no energy, we'll just put what we'd do at the bottom in the start.
Hard agree with that statement.

It IS really annoying to scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the keys (especially if the profile is long or has several keys) plus every time we stick to the "status quo" because it's "too much work to change" it only hurts this Wiki's credibility in the long run.
How exactly would this look? Where exactly are the keys being placed? Below the summary? Below the tiers?
Somewhere between the ages and tiers I would imagine but I'm just throwing ideas out there.

How exactly would this look? Where exactly are the keys being placed? Below the summary? Below the tiers?
OP suggested right below the Tiers, although that can always be discussed I suppose as the core of those that agreed is that it should be in the top. I believe once that is first agree, them being above tiers or below can always be discussed. I'm fine with either.

What cause stagnation is more opening dozens of wiki wide thread instead on focusing on one each time tho.

Anyway it's basically inciting a difference in formating between pages, which overtime will only make any form of "standard format" null. Massive editing would be needed.

What cause stagnation is more opening dozens of wiki wide thread instead on focusing on one each time tho.

Anyway it's basically inciting a difference in formating between pages, which overtime will only make any form of "standard format" null. Massive editing would be needed.
To be fair, every time we try to focus on one that actually needs efforts and is of importance, "status quo" is being thrown around. But this, this is nothing, Yuri. And we did say this will be done to future profile, so no mass editing will happen in the near future. And since we're forced to do References - even with a backlog of 28k pages - rejecting something that's in essence effortless for future profiles doesn't make sense imo. And if others come in and say "what about the 28k other pages?" then again, we're forced to revamp them because of the References thread, and adding this is no effort. It is a switcheroo. This is the furthest we can be even from the whole "too much work, status quo" Mod comments.

Unless you want to edit all the pages in this wiki in a day, Lol don't propose this. And having it at the bottom is not that bad, can be a little annoying sometimes but I have not really had a problem with it

I think just below the Summary could be good, it's close to the tiers so you can compare them without scrolling down.

Like so,

unknown.png

Unless you want to edit all the pages in this wiki in a day, Lol don't propose this. And having it at the bottom is not that bad, can be a little annoying sometimes but I have not really had a problem with it
yeah cool but it's not necessary to edit them all at once

I disagree. I mean, you either read the page or you don't.

Keys being at the bottom isn't necessarily the best, but also is far from the worst.
you kinda missed the point

this purpose is to make it easier to read, because now, we have to either struggle or read it multiple times

if it gets accepted, it would be far easier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back