• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Correcting the References/Discussion Templates Instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the topic of references within parentheses, it should be noted that this is just what you're supposed to do according to several of the major style guides I can find. Control+f "footnotes" on the links.

APA does it.

MLA does it. (control+F for "Placement of more than one note in a sentence." to find it)

Chicago Style does it.

Wikipedia does it.

Engineers do it.

I'm not really able to find notable study guides that don't put references inside parentheses. They seem to all agree that references should be outside of other punctuation but inside parentheses, and this is probably why so many people are thrown off that the site policy isn't to do that. They're unconsciously used to seeing it done this way everywhere else so it looks weird when we don't. I think it makes more sense for us to behave in accordance to the major english language style guides and put them inside.

On the topic of references within parentheses, it should be noted that this is just what you're supposed to do according to several of the major style guides I can find. Control+f "footnotes" on the links.

APA does it.

MLA does it. (control+F for "Placement of more than one note in a sentence." to find it)

Chicago Style does it.

Wikipedia does it.

Engineers do it.

I'm not really able to find notable study guides that don't put references inside parentheses. They seem to all agree that references should be outside of other punctuation but inside parentheses, and this is probably why so many people are thrown off that the site policy isn't to do that. They're unconsciously used to seeing it done this way everywhere else so it looks weird when we don't. I think it makes more sense for us to behave in accordance to the major english language style guides and put them inside.
I wanted to address the issue of the proper way to include references in the thread initiated by Agnaa. His examples suggested treating parentheses the same as other punctuation when adding references, but I had some reservations. I'm glad this discussion is moving in the right direction.

What you said really made sense to me. I have been looking for a standard practice, and your argument aligns with the major English language style guides. I believe following the widely accepted standard of placing references inside parentheses would also be the best approach.

Also, Ant seems to be waiting for Agnaa's input, but I'm unsure if he's able to comment here given his level of activity.

Given that MLA, APA and Chicago style combined are pretty much the only ways you see things cited in english outside of wikipedia and some technical guides, I think that those all doing something actually does mean we should adopt that style. No real reason with us to be randomly asynchronous with the rest of the english language.

APA does it.

Chicago Style does it.

Wikipedia does it.

Engineers do it.

I wanted to address the issue of the proper way to include references in the thread initiated by Agnaa. His examples suggested treating parentheses the same as other punctuation when adding references, but I had some reservations. I'm glad this discussion is moving in the right direction.

What you said really made sense to me. I have been looking for a standard practice, and your argument aligns with the major English language style guides. I believe following the widely accepted standard of placing references inside parentheses would also be the best approach.

Also, Ant seems to be waiting for Agnaa's input, but I'm unsure if he's able to comment here given his level of activity.
Given that MLA, APA and Chicago style combined are pretty much the only ways you see things cited in english outside of wikipedia and some technical guides, I think that those all doing something actually does mean we should adopt that style. No real reason with us to be randomly asynchronous with the rest of the english language.
I agree with applying this official standard as well.

APA does it.

Chicago Style does it.

Wikipedia does it.

Engineers do it.

@AKM sama @DontTalkDT @DarkDragonMedeus @Celestial_Pegasus @Ultima_Reality @Mr._Bambu @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Firestorm808 @Everything12 @Maverick_Zero_X

Would you be willing to provide input here please?

Bumping this.

I would like to point out that I have adjusted the objective of the thread so that it aligns with the proposals made by Wokistan, rather than the sample suggested by Agnaa.

However, I believe that more input is still necessary due to the significance of the change. To keep track of what everyone thinks, I have compiled a list of people who either concur, dissent, or have yet to express their stance on the matter. So far, everyone is in agreement.

I agree with refs being within parentheses, but not outside of most punctuation marks if obligatorily so. I was going to make a thread about it one day. I really think that this was a custom that became too popular and standardized before people could question its practicality.

My issue against it is simple; if you put a ref after a punctuation mark, that's gonna be a bit more annoying to deal with if you later decide to continue that sentence (ie remove the punctuation mark and keep on writing there), like if you do so naturally or if you choose to remove the sentence from there to put it elsewhre in a page. Meanwhile if you put the ref before the punctuation mark it changes nothings but removes that issue.

Is it acceptable to place references after parentheses, in direct conjunction with the connected relevant statements, rather than wait until the end of long sentences, for example?

If that is not standard encyclopaedic praxis we should not use it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back