• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
The NOVEL is the one who kinda implies the Pyramid of Light was kinda, not really a millenium item.

The movie literally never implies anything of the sort.

So no, no contradiction at all.

Are you serioiusly trying to determine something is not canon by the number of episdes?

Because, seriously check this language.

he was only a screenwriter who helped in 5 episodes of the original DM

The Novel is canon to the anime, man.

I tought we reached an agreement on that, dont attempt to downplay any further.

He legit was only a screenwriter was the point. Numbers wasn't even the point of the post.

Again, appeal to motive and calling me a downplayer? I've been way too lenient at this point.

Yes, he was only a screenwriter who helped. Whether it was five never mattered and still doesn't.

No, because you haven't proven he was anything but a screenwriter. Might as well have been an animator or an editor.

Well, i must inform you of one fact.

The anime was not directed nor written by Takahashi, thats why it is not canon, it was done by 5 different directions across the 5 Seasons just BASED on the original material.

A screenwriter who had a offical novel published (aka, not a fanfiction nor unlicensed) who worked on the DM Anime is somehow LESS than the other production staff?

Sorry man, but you really are giving me the idea you just want Yugi to be as weak as possible when the evidence of just how legit the novel is is literally on the wikia.

The Novel (If not the movie, because it was directed by the japanese staff) should be canon to the animeverse by reasons ive stated above.

Why would you?

I said it was just an idea based on your arguments.

But lets leave that issue in the past.

---

The Directior of the DB movies is part of toei, and doesnt directly follow what Toriyama wrote.

Just like in this case.

I mean, instead of Yugioh (Manga) and Yugion (anime), we could just Make the manga page the Canon Yugi page (Yugi Muto) and have Pyramid of Light Movie, Capsule Monsters, Season 4 and GX, BBT in Yugi Muto (Capsule Monsters) or well, just Yugi Muto (Anime)

Seems fair to me.

Anything written by Takahashi goes to Canon, anything officially licensed goes to Anime.

Agree?

I mean, we do have Dragon Ball GT and Xeno Goku around, i dont see why he deserves that special threatment when Yugi should too, hell we have anime and manga Sailor Moon too.

What does this even affect?

Also, I know I'm slightly late, but they did jave a extreme degree of freedom in memory world. Ypthey were allowed to change what they had done, and Joey, Tristan, and Tea changed the whole thing just by being there. Heck, the whole point was that Bakura was going to change the past. Ot's not really that situational

I know right. --

But i think that separating anything canon from the noncanon would just make this easier.

Keep Canon Yugi 7-A for now, and just let the other "non canon" things go to another page just like GT and Xeno Goku.

I... don't think so. The canonicity rules may have become much less restrictive, but this is pushing it.

Oh, have they?

Because i am pretty sure that depends on just how different the two characters are.

And, i can easly prove that the Yugi from the manga and the anime are quite a bit different.

Hell, the "Season 0" part of the original manga should already be enough to have them be different pages.

Isn't this superfluous? Also, do we have a definite answer on memory world keys?

Perhaps Ant is right. We need to regroup this thing.

Okay, I'm going to minorly intervene again before going to bed. And this needs to be said again.

Can we please stop, for the 10000th time, with the "downplayer", " anti-supporter" appeal to authority stuff? And I'm speaking in general here. This is practically the 1000th time its come up, after all warnings and stuff to NOT repeat it have been said. People are free to call out something they have issues with no matter what it is instead of keeping quiet and going along blindly. And they have the right to do that regardless. Most importantly, we are all users here who are capable of keeping this civil. We are better than this and theres absolutely 0 reason to be anything less by saying un-called for things. Its not neccessary at all.

Thats all im going to say about the issue. Everyone knows who they are and what part they play (and I mean no disrespect when saying this).

@Yobo Discussing whether the dub should get its own canon?

As for Memory World, I'm more familiar with the manga version so what I say is based on that, but isn't it literally Yugi's memories which gave them abilities as long as they were there?

@Rapid its mostly that yeah, but as far as I'm aware, we don't do dubs.

Its not a dub, 4kids literally made their own Yugioh version with Capsule Monsters and Pyramid of Light (Movie).

And, if you insist anything that isnt related to Takahashi is not canon, then...well, lets just make another profile.

Like GT Goku and Xeno Goku.

I mean, its only fair, dont you agree?

I... don't believe so. Anyway, we do give some profiles keys for powers in dream worlds and similar issues, so this isn't much of a deal even if it does go through.

I personally believe we should make a new thread. Feel free to summarize your arguments in prep.

The thing is, though, while KT would have had influence on the anime, his work is primarily the manga.

KT's primary work: The manga

The Japanese anime is an adaptation that I presume KT had influence in.

The anime's English dub is an adaptation of that adaptation, with presentation & such that KT was much less involved.

As for Pyramid of Light not being contradictory, it still claims Anubis was destroyed 5000 years ago, that there was a Dagger of Fate involved, that Pegasus made a card to rival the gods yet never released it, etc.

And for what it's worth, Solomon says the PoL looks like a Millenium Item. (Also, reading trivia, apparently the English version of PoL has several edited, omitted or switched scenes. The Japanese dub of the movie is 11 minutes longer.)

The movie also asserts Atem commanded some monsters away that appeared when the Millenium Puzzle was completed, which apparently also happened at the same time as the discovery of the Tomb of Anubis.

The movie also claims Yugi beat Kaiba to win the Battle City finals. Likely an error, as it was Marik who was 2nd place.

Also, what of the timeframe they give "In the 3 short years since he started playing Duel Monsters, Yugi Muto has risen to international stardom, by becoming the worldwide Duel Monsters card-playing champion!"

It shows footage of Yugi vs Strings to the public, but only Kaiba & Mokuba saw that duel. Did KaibaCorp record it & release the footage or something?

There's also the problem of it supposedly taking place right after Battle City... but showing footage from the Egyptian Gods vs Leviathan on those same TV screens.
GodlyBattlesOnTVsOfTheFuture
This scene is from an arc that happened after the movie was set. Before this movie's duel, Yugi never had all 3 Gods behind him all at once.

I'd like to know when a fight from the future got recorded!

As for Pyramid of Light not being contradictory, it still claims Anubis was destroyed 5000 years ago, that there was a Dagger of Fate involved, that Pegasus made a card to rival the gods yet never released it, etc.

I dont know how this is meant to contradict anything, really, the novel already pretty much solved these "issues."

There's also the problem of it supposedly taking place right after Battle City... but showing footage from the Egyptian Gods vs Leviathan on those same TV screens. [1]This scene is from an arc that happened after the movie was set. Before this movie's duel, Yugi never had all 3 Gods behind him all at once. I'd like to know when a fight from the future got recorded!

So it takes place after Season 4. I mean...What did you intent to debunk here?

My point was the Pyramid of Light movie, the 4Kids work doesn't really mesh with the canon we see in Season 5 of the dub.

The novel is fine to use with the manga and anime, but if we make a 4Kids verse, wouldn't that include the movie?

And much of the storytelling -like the announcer telling the crowds about the Battle City finals, saying it's been 3 years since Yugi started dueling- suggests it takes place after Battle City. And if it took place after the Orichalcos/DOMA arc, KC might be worse off because of Dartz's takeover, rather than being ready to stage a virtual duel between Kaiba & Yugi and then build a big dome for them to duel in afterwards.

More relevantly, Yugi and company would be stuck in America, not anywhere near the game shop or KaibaCorp or such.

Edit: And looking at the timeline on the Wiki, Duelist Kingdom & Battle City apparently take place within at most, 2 years of each, not even close to 3 years. Can anyone figure out how long passed between Start of Duelist Kingdom & end of Battle City?

It also wouldn't make sense for 4Kids, who made the movie to set it after the Orichalcos arc because the movie came out around the end of Battle City. The Orichalcos arc had hardly even started yet; Why set a movie after the end of an arc that hasn't even finished yet?

Orichalcos arc mostly takes place in the US, & Yugi & company only gets back to Japan because Mokuba offers them a ride if they take place in the next tourney that's to repair the reputation of KaibaCorp.

And it still gets who the finalists were wrong & shows footage of Strings vs Marik that nobody but Seto & Mokuba saw with little to no explanation, unlike the finals.

I mean...It does.

The Pyramid of Light was never a millenium item, but just a replica of the puzzle made from Kaiba´s ancestor´s father.

I see a contradiction of what you said.

If Season 4 was just starting, then why would they have a clip of Yugi with the three god cards like you had shown above?

Boom.

The footage from the start is just there to illustrate the events prior to the movie, man.

a single mistake like that does not make an entire movie notcanon, and i can easly justify it by having kaiba recording it with the machne on his collar because a God Card was being played, and that is 100% in his interest to keep recorded.

Sorry mate, but it is canon to the animeverse.

I'm saying that the novel & the movie don't share canon with each other.

And the movie's narration focuses on how Battle City just ended. IRL, Battle City was ending for the US, 4Kids's viewerbase. Narration and IRL context make it evident it was at the end of BC.

And I never said the movie was at the start of Season 4.

As for why 4Kids would have a clip of the Gods vs Leviathan, likely because the movie aired first in the US.

13 August 2004 (USA), 16 March 2005 (Japan, DVD Premiere)

The last episode of Season 4 aired in Japan on December 17th, 2003. Nearly 8 months between the end of Season 4 in Japan, and the movie's first release anywhere, which was in the US.

Whereas the US got Season 4 starting on September 11th, 2004.

Again, for America, the movie came out before season 4, and there was NEVER ANY SCENE anywhere in the series before this where Yugi had all 3 God Cards behind him.

Not to mention your justification wouldn't hold up. Besides it being unfounded speculation -Kaiba had a camera collar?- Yugi would be extremely high up. IIRC, above the clouds. His vision would be obscured at best.

And they still erroneously claim Kaiba was beaten as the final opponent. And Anubis, despite being part of Atem's past in the 4Kids dub, doesn't make any appearance in the world based on his memories, despite creating a magical artifact & trying to destroy the world back then.

Not to mention the issue of a 3 year timeline -makes sense for 4Kids; Yu-Gi-Oh! had been on for 3 years in the US- but that timeline not making as much sense in-universe.

And they still erroneously claim Kaiba was beaten as the final opponent. And Anubis, despite being part of Atem's past in the 4Kids dub, doesn't make any appearance in the world based on his memories, despite creating a magical artifact & trying to destroy the world back then

Oh god, like i said, a single error does not make an entire movie non canon.

espcially when Kaiba was the world champion before Yugi, literally no one knew who Marik was, and he surrendered.

Hell, it can be justified by the fact literally no one could see the duel because Marik pulled himself and Yugi into a dark game.-

You said that it used a shot from season 4 of the fight against leviathan in the intro.

Lemme prove it.

Remember... "This scene is from an arc that happened after the movie was set. Before this movie's duel, Yugi never had all 3 Gods behind him all at once." ?

I never said the MOVIE Pyramid of Light was at the start of Season 4. I was saying that that SHOT is from season 4. DESPITE that the narrator focuses on it being the end of Battle City, & the PoLM aired before Season 4 had started in the US, and the US audience was what 4Kids focused on.

Kaiba was known to be world champion... then lost to Yugi before DK, which everyone heard about.

And Marik still had a long & difficult duel against Yugi before he surrendered. And even with the Dark Game, everyone there -several of Yugi's friends & KC employees- were there to witness it.

My point is, the fact stands that the movie does have contradictions, which put the strength of the canon of a 4Kidsverse that includes PoLM into question.

If we made one at all, I'd question PoLM's inclusion, and might even argue that the novel should be used in place of the movie if we made a 4Kidsverse. Problem with that is the novel & the 4Kidsverses have different sources.

And it's not 1 error.

It's:

1. Showing Yugi with all 3 Gods, & in the sky, long before he ever ends up in the sky with the Gods.

2. Getting the finals wrong.

3. Claiming 3 years -because of real life's timeframe- had passed when they likely hadn't.

4. Anubis, who supposedly tried to destroy the world 5000 years ago & got stopped by Atem, but isn't mentioned in Memory World, which is based off of his memories.

Back