• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Hold on, is Capsule Monsters by 4Kids or am I misunderstanding?

(Also give me a sec to read through this)

Also just a formality, but where is the evidence that PoL is canon to the anime? I would go through the threads, but they are too long.

There is literally nothing that says that 4kids Material is less "canon" to the Jpaanese anime when as ive said before, the Anime passed thru multiple directors, and 4kids did have as much access to he franchise as Gallop and written by 4 different writers.

Junki Takegami (#001-097) Atsushi Maekawa (#098-144) Shin Yoshida (#145-184) Akemi Omode (#185-224) Aka. Anime Yugi already is made up of Non-canon material, which include various filler episodes and Season 4.

So, there is literally no reason that 4kids material should be excluded.

But, anyways.

Pyramid of Light Movie shows anime clips from Season 1 to Season 3.

and the Novel references Marik too.

Capsule Monsters take place after Season 4.

@Rapid If you're being serious: (Going to use a lot of DB examples)

Being noncanon =\= both are canon to each other. It would be like treating xenoverse as canon to anime GT.

Also movie / specials referencing the work =/= canon either, if it was the other way around sure. Otherwise, it would be like treating Cooler as canon to themanga for referencing Frieza. Or Eyes of Heaven to main JoJo.

4K Media was a subsidary of 4kids, not actually 4kids. They also bought it literally years afterwards.

@Yobo do you have any evidence?

Im being serious. (And saying "are you being serious" is dimissing my argument and implying it is nonsense, and insulting what the other person is saying its a sign of dismissal and bad manners)

If 4kids have the same amount of rights as the Japanese anime to using their material and heck, even the same rights to the tcg.

So, yeah, if you are willing to add Season 4 to the anime not adding 4kids stuff is a flat out meme.

If you wanna use DB examples, anything TV anime related its canon to the toei canon.

I didn't say "are you being serious" I said "if you're being serious" and left it at that.

As far as I'm aware they didn't have the right to the Japanese anime's canon.

That is definitely not comparable, a season from the actual show compared to a movie created by another company who noctoriously did not play well with the canon?

Also saying "flat out meme", after your first sentence seems inconsistent.

No, actually. Stuff like Hitchiyack for example is not considered. Or BoG or the Tarble special, etc.

Uh what movie mentions Tarble?

Hitchiyack had a anime special

Canon DB isn't scale to anime

Oh, i didnt know that. Thanks.

Hitchiyack´s original anime special was based on the third DBZ Anime game for the Famicom.

Canon DB does scale to the manga, and then Dragon Ball Super (Anime).

Since Yugi having armors and that stuff is indeed quite different to regular DM Yugi, i think he should surely get a page, alongside the rest of the Capsule Monsters gang.

Which would pretty much be a stronger Anime Yugi, since he already scales to the feats discussed here AND Pyramid of Light having them use Duel Monsters effects in real life outside of Dark Games.

Weren't they in Egypt the entire time in season 5?

But you get the point. It was created outside of Toei.

Oh, you were referring to Super? That's because Toriyama stated that Super's anime version is the primary one.

I'll let everyone else decide if we should make a 4kids dub profile. However, this shouldnt be the thread for it .

@Everyone else final thoughts?

So, final toughts.

I accept your initial proposal but...

1.-Magic Users should get a memory world form where they can use their cards, separate from their regular form.

2.-no seal of orichalchos for Yugi at all. I agree.

3.- What will happen to effects who use Stat amplification?

4.-Item users are 100% confirmed for DM hax on a dark game?

1. I doubt we should, given this is literally them in someone else's memories.

3. They get stat and, not that hard.

4. With what just happened? I'm rethinking it. Though maybe yobo could help convince me?

1.-I mean, there are other characters that do. And it is something shown in the anime. Optional at least.

3.-Fine then.

4.-Well, it is the bare mininum proven by novel Pyramid of Light, if the game is a dark game, the monsters and effects are real.

>Sees no one talking

>Walks away to finish PMMM anime

>Comes back

>Half the discussion is over

What did I miss?

Questions for those whose input is needed:

1.- Should magic users (Kaiba, Jounochi, etc.) Get a "Magic" form where they can use their cards as proven in this clip? https://youtu.be/dGctQgTS1uo

2.- Should we consider the 4kids material as canon to the anime due to the them having hthe same rights as the Season 4 guys? or should 4kids Yugi be a different page by just how different his abilities are from regular DM Yugi?

Regarding 1. No, I don't think so. As Data said, that's from Memory World, which is in a past based on the Pharoah's Memories, and which Yami Bakura had some influence setting up. It was a highly situational world, and I'm not sure how much control or freedom they had in their roles in the Memory World.

2. 4Kids regularly made edits that conflicted with canon -heavy use of Shadow Realm, saying whether characters died or not, making characters who lost their souls to the SoO make breathing sounds, etc.- & cut content. And the Pyramid of Light movie, their own production, contradicted canon. Heck, they claim that the Ancient Egypt stuff happened 5000 years ago instead of 3000.

As for Capsule Monsters, it was also a 4Kids production, commissioned and edited by them, following that same timeline. One important part is this guy, who shares his name with a real historical figure: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Alexander_the_Great

Long ago, Alexander conquered many parts of the world with his large and powerful army. Eventually, he conquered Egypt and gained the Millennium Ring, learning of the power that could rule the world. However, it was locked away by Shadi, who feared that it would be used only by evil. After passing a series of tests, he gained the key to unlock this power, losing his vassals in the process. However, the key crumbled in his hands, and his dark half (created thanks to the Millennium Ring) was split apart from his good half, and he was trapped within the Pyramid and his good side being flung into the Capsule Monster world. Some time later, the descendant of Alexander's good side came along; Dr. Alex Brisbane, and was possessed by Yami Alexander, who then lured Yugi Muto and his friends to the Capsule Monster game.

Supposing we ignore the 5000-not-3000 years aspect of 4Kids's edits, does this match-up with Yu-Gi-Oh!'s actual timeline? What with the involvement of Shadi? And I assume it's fine for a spin-off like this to add a new power to the Millenium Ring?

As for 4Kids, what rights did they have? They commissioned, produced & edited a movie & a spin-off series, but aren't they just a dubbing company?

If they ONLY had dubbing rights, wouldn't saying 4Kids original works would be like letting Viz Media or Funimation make spin offs of works they've dubbed? Like a Viz Media spin off of Inuyasha with no involvement from Rumiko Takahashi, or a Funimation spin off of One Piece with no involvement from Eiichiro Oda?

Heck, how much was Kazuki Takahashi involved in Capsule Monsters?

Hopefully someone can provide answers about these.

So, One vote for two no´s.

No, no - 1

No, yes - 0

Yes, no - 0

Yes, Yes -0

Worst scenario that could happen is having a useless 9-C Kaiba profile around and having to do a 4kids Yugi page (Since his armors make him unique enough to have a profile.)

Put me on for no no as well.

Honestly I'm not sure we can make a page based on a dub.

No, no. 2

Rest 0

I think we easly can based on Capsule Monsters alone which guarantees it being way different than the original series for various reasons, and i can even argue Dub Yugi is a totally different character than the Japanese one.

Be sure to show my blog around before saying they are not that different, since you seem to be a bit anti-upgrade, i dont really think it would be in your best interests to show the differences between the two.

Nothing personal, of course.

This thread is too long and messy to highlight for more input (Rapid asked me to do so). You need to start a new one that summarises the information before I or SomebodyData can do so.

The main differences between Dub Yugi and original Yugi are likely his feats, powers & abilities, maybe his personality, & the 2 extra adventures he's been via Pyramid of Light Movie & Capsule Monsters.

PoM Movie still contradicts the story as it's present in the dub via 8th Millenium Item with no explanation from the novel, right?

Incidentally, just to be sure, what do we consider Kazuki Takahashi's Pyramid of Light novel canon to? Manga, or original anime?

If we do make Dub profiles, do we use the Pyramid of Light movie's canon -which makes a plot hole?- or the novel that fixes that plot hole but wasn't made by 4Kids, only based on their work?

@Ima

Pyramid of Light NOVEL is canon to the ANIME.

Pyramid of Light Movie is canon to 4kids, And there is no 8th Millenium Item in the animeverse.

Capsule Monsters would be canon to the anime, but the 4kids hate is pretty big, so it will have to be canon to 4kids Yugi.

What I mean is, The Pyramid of Light Movie asserts the Pyramid of Light is an 8th Millenium Item, if my memory serves. That would mean the 4Kids dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! has an 8th Millenium Item, which could contradict with the story presented in Season 5 of Yu-Gi-Oh!'s 4Kids dub.

Back