• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why many people think, that Saitama is the strongest fictional character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because gag characters are always OP. Combine that with the power of god and anime on his side and you have the strongest character in fiction.

Not everyone is that knowledgeable in fiction, so when they see a guy that was made to one-shot everyone, they simply think "well, he probably one-shots everyone."

I can't say considering the reasons could all be different, I mean their a some people out their who might think SpongeBob is the strongest fictional character because he's SpongeBob SquarePants.

What Paulo said, people usually choose the simplest option so instead of actually finding out they are content with the little info they know.

"his name is one punch what do you mean he didn't one punch your entire verse of 1-As"

He's the strongest in fiction... just so many others. Like Popeye, Squirrel Girl, or Deadpool breaking the 4th wall. There isn't any rhyme or reason to his strength, it's just there as a joke.

It's actually the easiest thing in the world to make the strongest character in fiction, even 5 year olds do it: "My guy has a an invincibility shield that can block any attack or special move of other guys, and a oneshot sword that can destroy anything except for himself." Easy. But few people could ever tell a compelling story about him. The real struggle is making a powerful character, like Superman, Saitama, or Thanos relatable so people can sympathize with those characters despite their immense power.

If that was the intent then he's doing it wrong. Saitama hasn't even oneshotted a higher dimensional being yet he needs to step up his game.

Because misinformation and taking the title too seriously.

"Saitama hasn't even oneshotted a higher dimensional being yet he needs to step up his game."

So if he hasn't done a feat while never showing definitive effort, that means he can't do it? Yes, yes, yes, NLF and all that. Saitama isn't there to featscale and oneshot infinite universes, timelines, and alternate planes of reality just to make powerscalers drool. He's a metaphor for what happens when you have an invincible character in series due to plot armor (automatically being the strongest) and deux ex machina (Saitama somehow beat a high 6-A effortlessly despite having no real exercise other than his crap workout an oneshotting city levels for the past couple years).

Anyone can have any high level of power if the author wants to give him infinite dimensional feats just to hype him up. But how many people are still reading about the vast majority of the Tier 0 or Tier 1-A characters? Very few. No one except powerscalers care about what random stuff they do with their godly power.

I highly doubt Saitama will ever have much more than planetary feats, because he doesn't need them. Or that he'll ever struggle, because that would ruin the point of the series just for powerscaling kicks. The best argument I've ever heard for why Saitama is invincible (no, not alone, there are thousands of other characters in fiction equally invincible) is this:

Person A: "Saitama is invincible."

Person B: "No way he's invincible, there are infinitely dimensional beings with time travel/hax/reality warping/mind control/etc. who could kill him easily! It doesn't make any sense for him to be that strong, that's a stupid load of crap!"

Person A: "You're absolutely right, there's no reason he should be invincible, that claim is completely stupid and lame.... almost like it's a joke that wasn't meant to be taken seriously?"

imo, One Punch Man doesn't count as a gag. It's not like Arale where they just joke around the whole time, it has an overarching plot,and a couple other things.

It was created as a gag by the author's own words:

Encountering web comics for the first timeEdit

――What led you to begin drawing a web comic? How long have you wanted to be a manga artist?

ONE: I had decided I wanted to be a gag manga artist from the time I was in grade school. I was a fan of Crayon Shin-chan, and at the time I wanted to draw that sort of manga. For me it wasn't a case of simply trying to be a manga artist and testing the waters to see if it was worth a shot. Rather, my thought process was to decide right off the bat that I was going to be one, so the rest was just a matter of effort. I guess that's how I decided my whole future while still just a kid. https://onepunchman.wikia.com/wiki/Interviews

Yes, you could argue him saying it doesn't mean it, but then we're just arguing over what does and does not classify as gag. Technically, by the dictionary definition, Bug Bunny isn't a gag character because he's a main character of his series. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gag_character

Did Saitama oneshot monsters as a gag when the series began? Yes. Does he still oneshot monsters as a gag? Yes. Just because there's a serious story for the world and other characters doesn't mean that Saitama is no longer a gag character, he hasn't changed one bit. The main story doesn't really affect him at all, he just keeps trying to find someone strong to fight and failing. How has Saitama lost his gag status?

Saitama is a parody character, but I don't see how him being gag or not answers the OP. I think the OP has already been answered so should we close this thread?

Um... because he's gag character (yes, debatable, but so is Bugs Bunny technically) people think he's the strongest. Kinda sounds like that answers the OP. But yes, the OP has been answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back