• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

We may need a standard portable infobox for our profile pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm neutral on it. But Prom and Dargoo are both in favor of them. I'd like to see what they think of the new example.

My only complaint is this.
Summarysource
That little bit of code is seemingly on purpose and makes it so the infobox won't go alongside stats. Is this for some purpose on mobile? Because it does make it a bit unsightly.

Ah, that's completely optional. I just added that for presentation purposes.

I've removed it from the example.

Well, I still find it redundant to supply the same information several times in a page, and think that the matchup results are completely uninteresting to the vast majority of our casual visitors. We only feature them at all as a courtecy to our die-hard members in the first place.

I'm not a huge fan of having the matches section be in a collapsible that's hidden by default and has no arrows. That seems to remove the stated purpose of having matches in the infobox in the first place (for casual visitors so they don't have to scroll down)...

Can infoboxes have some clean arrows on both sides? Or any other common indication that something would happen when they're clicked?

Also, I'd like to reiterate the query for how profiles without images would look when using the infobox. the 20th-most popular character of the 11th-most popular verse doesn't have an image; this isn't an issue that just affects obscure pages.

And finally, I think it's fine to remove information in infoboxes from the pages, Schera Zade does seem like a fine example of this, as long as we're not including tiers in the infobox (if we do pursue that, I'd like to see someone draft a page with a large tier section using an infobox).

> Also, I'd like to reiterate the query for how profiles without images would look when using the infobox.

They'd be fine. Images aren't mandatory.

I've removed the image from the Example page to demonstrate.

The problem with a hidden arrow with a pre-collapsed section is that there is nothing to indicate that the section is clickable due to the lack of a cursor change on hover. This doesn't matter for mobile (since the whole purpose of the infobox is to increase SEO via mobile stuff) since you can't change the style of the mobile view. This can be fixed with a bit of CSS code:

Code:
 .portable-infobox.pi-header{ cursor:pointer; }
The problem is that this will change the pointer for headers that don't have the hidden arrow, as well.

The only reason the arrow is hidden right now is because of Antvasima's concerns that it would ruin the aesthetics of the infobox.

Yeah, that's fine. There just needs to some kind of indicator that headers are clickable, otherwise no one will ever click them, or the vast majority of users will not know.

Another thing to note is that when Google scans a page, it also deducts points for hidden content, so I would advise against pre-collapsed content.

NoGround said:
Another thing to note is that when Google scans a page, it also deducts points for hidden content, so I would advise against pre-collapsed content.
Thank you for the information. That would destroy the entire point of this endeavour, so I think that we should not have collapsible sections in that case. My apologies Promestein.

Btw: If anybody doesn't know, NoGround is a Wiki Manager, which is a step higher than Councilor, which is my position.

There will usually be, but it is not necessary as such.

Newendigo said:
Wait, so there won't be any image/picture of the character in the Infobox?
Every profile that currently uses images anyway will be expected to have them featured in the infobox.

The point is that they aren't an absolute requirement for profiles.

Antvasima said:
Thank you for the information. That would destroy the entire point of this endeavour, so I think that we should not have collapsible sections in that case. My apologies Promestein.
There is the other alternative.

That we do have collapsible sections but we don't have them be collapsed by default.

I am not sure whether or not that option would work for the Google searches. What do you think NoGround?

Yeah not a big fan of having matchups in the forefront. We are an indexing site and vs matches are the least important thing as far as our pages are concerned, and should rightfully be at the bottom of the page. Most casual visitors view pages for stats and abilities, not for matchups.

Adding matchups in profiles is basically just a formality because we have vs threads (which btw is also not the most important thing), and people aren't even that serious about them judging by how many matches don't get added. Plus, there are several characters who have a huuuuge list of matchups which will look bad in infobox.

I strongly agree with AKM sama.

I like the character infobox template.

We can just add the arrow if you're worried about the matches being hidden away in the infobox without it

Well, that would apparently give our pages lower prioritisation in Google search results.

In addition, the matchup results are likely completely uninteresting to 99.5% of our visitors, and would recurrently take up a lot of unnecessary space in the infoboxes, and also be redundant as they are mentioned lower down in the pages anyway.

Continuing with my previous point, there are also many profiles that don't have any matches. So a whole section of the infobox being empty in some pages, coupled with a long list in other pages, will make it very inconsistent and will give it a bad look overall across pages.

So it looks like we're just waiting on the Standard Format page to be updated now.

I suppose so, yes, but that could take a while. After that we will have to try to find the standard layout page and update it accordingly.

Damage has already drafted an update to the standard format page.

Damage3245 said:
So just above the summary heading maybe you should put this:

Put in an infobox for the character where their images and classifiable information will be displayed. These include:

Name: The character's true name.

Aliases: Their well-known name/epithets.

Origin: The name of the fiction which the character is from, with a link to the Verse page

Height: The character's height, if known.

Species: Character's race / species.

Affiliatio: Any groups or teams that the character is a part of.

If any of these are unknown, then leave that row in the infobox blank.
But on top of that, we should probably also set up infoboxes for our other types of profiles.

Antvasima said:
Btw: If anybody doesn't know, NoGround is a Wiki Manager, which is a step higher than Councilor, which is my position.
Essentially, I get paid. I'm Staff, but my position is on-the-ground community and technical support and stuff. My activity on this wiki is for fun, though. I think I'm the only Wiki Manager active on this wiki, so this is kind of like an unofficial wiki on my list, which is why .you don't show up on my profile's template. I'm more or less here as a regular user with extra know-how and support. =)

Regarding collapsed sections, it's only for the initial scan, so having them open but not collapsed is viable. They can still be collapsible with no problems as long as they are open to start.

Okay. Thank you for the information.

Now that this is a thing I think the summary can just be right at the top like we see in that Goku example, its heading may not be necessary. Rather other information can optionally be sectionalized as Sara pointed out. I too have experimented with something this in a sandbox, I was about to show my version but since this is already to be concluded theres probably no need now.

Has there been any progress here?

I think we're just waiting on Skalt, so you might want to leave them a reminder on their message wall.

There is a Fandom glitch that recurrently removes my notifications if I visit message walls, so I would appreciate if you could remind him. Also, my apologies for being impatient.

I've left a message, but Skalt seems to be busy right now since he hasn't been on the wiki for a couple days.

Can somebody else update the page for now, and we'll just replace the image at the top at a later point? I feel like there's no point in holding this back from being implemented.

The problem is that we need to appropriately update the instruction image at the top of the Standard Format for Character Profiles page, and Skalt is good at that sort of thing. However, if some other very experienced member is able and willing to do so in a completely accurate manner, that should work as well.

Ya know i was gonna do it myself tonight, too lol.

As a regular user, though, I don't use the image, I simply copy/paste the entire guideline source and delete the instructions as I go through. What about a code block using <pre></pre> wrappers instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back