• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

We may need a standard portable infobox for our profile pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, Tupka217 (the boss of the DC Comics wiki) told me that we can use multiple images in a portable infobox, either with <panel> or <gallery>, just in case anybody is unaware.

Damage3245 said:
Standard infobox width is 300px anyway, I'm pretty sure.
Okay. That is a bit better then.

Yeah, that is something we can do.

The Son Goku example linked up above has an example of that.

Yes, I just wanted to provide information to anybody who might be unaware.

Aight. I'll help with the mobile adaptation anyways.

For the characters that take a lot of space in width, when cutting images, the focus should be directed to the face. This likely should be analyzed case-to-case as the "face" is not always seen with the machinery or non-standard monsters and co.

I can confirm that the versus matchup section in the infobox takes a whole lot of space in either landscape or portrait look on my 5.1 inch Samsung Galaxy S7. The images take a square-ish look though.

Yes. I am mainly concerned about the images that currently need around 500px width or more.

We can do a few test infoboxes in a sandbox with those types of images to check how they'd look.

It would be funny if this was something that a bot could handle, but with all the different style pages can have on this... yeah, this will have to be slowly applied manually.

This seems fine, so long "Quotes" are also supported on this per picture, among other things that many are customized with currently.

I think side by side works if a new one gets made, but I do agree that someone should create a new layout at some point.

I believe this project can be done over time since it's literally painless and changes nothing in our system minus the aesthetics.

Here is a quick example using a modified version of Prom's existing template. Obviously I think the styling can be improved a bit, probably with a smaller heading but this is just what's there so far.

(Minor Parahumans / Worm spoilers for anyone who doesn't want to look at Alexandria's page.)

KLOL506 is probably correct.

Damage's infobox works perfectly fine with me.

I am fine with it except that I do not think that we use "Affiliation" as standard information for our profile pages. I would also prefer to avoid making the "Personal Description" section collapsible (via an arrow).

The collapsible bit was just for people's convenience if they wanted to show less of the infobox. The full list of info is displayed by default.

But I don't mind removing it.

As for Affiliation, I think that in cases where we've categorized characters by a group or team they belong to, we could link that category in that row of the infobox so that people could more easily access other profiles that are linked to the profile they're on.

It is also an optional field, so if people don't put anything in there for affiliation, then the field won't be displayed on the infobox.

Okay. It is important information to display though, most other wikis don't seem to use collapsible infoboxes, and the arrow is aesthetically inappropriate in my opinion.

I suppose that the "Affiliation" section does not cause any harm then.

Also the references part is too much work IMHO. Especially given that not everyone has the time to upload scans onto imgur and that we can't use other comic-reading sites due to copyright laws

@KLOL506; the references system is already in place on several profiles and is completely optional. I just copied what was on an existing profile for the example.

The example is there to demonstrate how the infobox would look on a profile.

"The collapsible bit was just for people's convenience if they wanted to show less of the infobox. The full list of info is displayed by default."

What's the harm in letting someone collapse it? That doesn't mean they're just gonna disregard it. It's fine.

I prefer the more standardised look that other wikis use without an aesthetically obnoxious arrow that does not serve any useful purpose.

I have no idea what you mean by "aesthetically obnoxious", it's completely fine and just as many wikis use it.

Are you sure? I haven't noticed it in major wikis and want any all-encompassing standard to be as simple and straightforward as possible.

In addition, as I mentioned, I find the arrow out of place/annoying, and the collapsible function pointless, and would much prefer to avoid applying such a standard to most of our profiles in the long run, as I constantly have to look at it otherwise. I would appreciate if you would drop this issue please.

I don't have any problem removing it. I don't have any issues with it being there either, but if you'd prefer it removed then that can be done.

EDIT: It has been removed now.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

I'm not going to drop some random, personal aesthetic issue you have just because you dislike looking at a useful function a page. Plenty of wikis (the Jojo and TYPE-MOON ones come to mind) use collapsible infoboxes.

Well, by my experience it is more common for major wikis to not have an asymetrical out off place arrow that hides relevant information in their infoboxes. It doesn't serve any useful purpose, and it makes the infobox uglier to look at. I want any change on this scale to be aesthetically optimal/look as good as possible.

It doesn't make it uglier to look at. I think you're the only person that thinks that, and it's not like it hides anything by default. There's no harm in allowing someone to just click it away; that information listed is rarely relevant to versus matches anyways.

Well, I much prefer everything to look neat and tidy, especially a standardised function such as this, and given that the arrow looks out of place/makes the infobox look asymetrical, and the function seems pointless to me, that makes it unnecessary/redundant in my view. My apologies.

Anyway, I like the current version fine, and think that it can probably be applied.

It looks neat and tidy to me, and most of everyone else. I'm not gonna drop this. It's a completely harmless function. We can't determine the site's formatting based on what you find personally pleasing alone, and you can't just shush me over such a trivial matter.

@Antvasima; I feel like the Promestein does have a point. If you feel strongly about it, then we should get more staff input since it shouldn't be just one person's decision.

Also, it might be possible to customize the collapsible functionality to improve the aesthetics of it. I'll look into it.

I think that making the infobox as symmetrical and straightforward as possible seems like a better option for something that will eventually be shown in most of our pages, but do not think that the issue is worth getting upset about. In reverse, if you look at Damage's current version, is that really so horrible to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back