• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

We may need a standard portable infobox for our profile pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, here's a third alternative; placing the infobox in the summary section. It looks much better, but makes it inconsistent with other pages, and still doesn't look as good as normal-image infoboxes.

So should we initially only encourage using the infobox for pages with images that properly fit into it? In that case we may need to save the previous explanation and instruction image for a second tabber in the Standard Format for Character Profiles page though.

That might be the best solution for this issue, yeah.

If that issue's dealt with that way, I think we should consider alternatives to "Species" and "Affiliation" since those lose information from "Classification", and we should also consider creating infoboxes for the other types of pages we have.

I played around with alternatives on the template blog, but without the image in the infobox it just looks incomplete. I guess the compromise would be only using images that are taller than wider, and moving wider pictures down to the gallery?

We could, yeah.

Overlord775 said:
Losing the image at the top would be worse, as the top part is what visitors see first and foremost
There'd still be an image at the top, just a taller, different one in an infobox. Assuming you were replying to me

Unless you mess with the default dimensions using CSS, the infobox will adjust the image height to fit the full image inside the infobox with no stretching. If the width is smaller than the infobox width, it will not stretch the width out further.

For portrait images that have a width smaller than the infobox, you can adjust the width to always fill the infobox and fix the height so the images aren't stretched, you need to set width:320px and height:auto in MediaWiki:Common.css.

When dealing with landscape images, it will end up as a smaller image, but that's about it. There is no minimum height.

Code:
 .pi-image{ width: 320px; } .pi-image-thumbnail{ width: 320px; height: auto; }

i see another problem, what about characters that have Nicknames/Secondary Names like Amaterasu (Ōkami) ?

Name: Ōkami Amaterasu, Shiranui (previous reincarnation), "Snowy" (by Kushinada), "Fido" (by Susano), "Furball, Ammy" (by Issun), "Ma Cherie" (by Ushiwaka)

Thank you to everybody who are helping out with this.

Shouldn't the character names be listed immediately below the "Personal Description" section?

@Antvasima; I thought it would look better if the Names / Aliases of the characters were grouped together above, the rest of the information which would be grouped as "Personal Description".

Generally names and aliases go above personal description, since full names/aliases are generally the most important pieces of information. A person's name isn't really a "description" of a character, either. It's who they are. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a wiki put a name under a separate header tag.

Okay. I just think that it looks more aesthetically displeasing.

Is there any consensus on the exact formatting that should be used for the infoboxes?

I do not think so, but you should probably check for yourself.

Skalt711 said:
I'll look at the image crop possibility at home, I'm attending the afterschool classes rn.
Image crop? Are you talking about what I posted 3 days ago regarding image dimensions?

DemonGodMitchAubin said:
Will this changed be applied to every profile?
We'll gradually introduce this to profiles where the picture fits well into the infobox (basically all pages except those with extremely wide pictures).

@DemonGodMitchAubin; it might be worth moving the majority of the images into a gallery on his page instead of putting them all into an infobox.

I think that Agnaa has the right idea here. We should start with gradually converting profiles that have header images that work with an infobox.

I actually saw some infoboxes that have nested tabbers on wikis like type-moon wiki, might we be able to use their code for our infoboxes?

I am not sure. Too complicated code might get us in trouble with Google searches again.

I don't think we need to try and fit every image into the infoboxes. We can put galleries with descriptive labels on the images near the bottom of the page that could show their different appearances.

The infobox should contain the one or two most important / relevant images.

Other wikias easily fit up to 3-4 images in their infoboxes and are still prominent in google searches. Just figure out the right code to do it.

I meant the nested images as in the example above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back