• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

We may need a standard portable infobox for our profile pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't the <pre></pre> code block mess up the mobile page? As for the image, I think it'll still be useful for the people, who want some guide in how the source code works + a while/black contrast works pretty nice for the wiki.

Skalt711 said:
Here's my draft. Looking for opinions.
Thank you, but you need to update the example image at the top to one that uses Damage's new infobox, and also rewrite various instruction texts below.

I'll take care of it tomorrow, I'm about to sleep. Will add an additional instruction about the infobox's source code as well.

Okay. Thank you for helping out. I appreciate it.

Before we go through the trouble of updating the example image again I wonder if I can propose to add one more thing (not in the infobox) or you may want a new thread about it instead

Often you'd find descriptions of alternate forms in the attacks/techniques section, then again that may just be a matter of style/preference if you dont feel like it also being its own separate thing.

Something like this

Forms/Power ups: Description of alternate forms and transformations (if any) a character may have

After applying the new infobox to Kumoko, I've realized that you may want to center the gallery tabs on display for pages with multiple images. To do this, you go to MediaWiki:Common.css and apply this code:

Code:
 /* Centered tabs in infoboxes */ .pi-europa .pi-image-collection-tabs { text-align: center; }

@Skalt711

No problem. Thank you very much for helping out.

Well, preferably is not spelled with two "r".

I would prefer if you write "==Explanations== (Optional)" instead of the current version.

And I am not sure if that shade of blue is the best aesthetical option for the extra instruction box. A somewhat lighter hue might work though.

"An example image" is better than "an example image" in the beginning of a sentence.

Other than that it mostly seems fine to me.

Also, the standard size explanation text was mostly written by me previously, and likely needs to be adjusted, as I think that the infobox only allows for much smaller images.

Ah damn, how I could ignore such silly mistakes :p, will fix soon

The infobox doesn't even allow to change the image's size.

No problem. What width do the images get with an infobox?

Also, we should make clear that the images should only have captions if we give credit to an Internet artist.

We should also make clear which parts of the infobox sections that are mandatory and which ones that are optional.

There is no defined limit at the image's size as it seemingly depends on the infobox's size. Pixel measurement says that the images get 375px in width.

As for the captions, the ones in the infobox can't have them. Do you suggest the same change to the images in the Gallery section?

Okay. Thanks. Is it possible to adjust the image sizes within the infobox limits? This could turn into a problem otherwise.

One of the options in the infobox says "caption", although I am not sure whether or not this is appropriate to keep.

> Is it possible to adjust the image sizes within the infobox limits? This could turn into a problem otherwise.

How would it be a problem? Could you make an example showing where this would not work?

Damage3245 said:
> Is it possible to adjust the image sizes within the infobox limits? This could turn into a problem otherwise.

How would it be a problem? Could you make an example showing where this would not work?
Not all images on profiles work at a size of 375px. I could try drafting a case where it's an issue, but even without that I think it could be a problem.

Ah, just found the captions within the code. The thing is that they don't work with multiple images.

Antvasima said:
Also, we should make clear that the images should only have captions if we give credit to an Internet artist.
Oh, I used captions on one page, since the only time the verse shows that sword they also show another sword, so I used a caption to clarify which sword the profile's talking about. Should I have done something else?

When drafting infobox implementations on a few profiles I noticed an issue. Species and affiliation aren't really enough categories to replace "Classification" from the original profiles. In a verse I'm working o those with supernatural powers are called "Inscribed" and those without are called "Mundies". But these aren't a species or an affiliation, so information gets lost when moving to this format.

But there's also some good news: Photos that are particularly tall aren't stretched out to 375px; it looks like there's a cap on height as well that makes their width and height automatically appropriate for a profile. This may be an issue with pictures that are too short, but I only knew one example of that which I drafted with no issues.

Look at Master Unit: Amaterasu for exemple

Here's a draft of that, and it does look bad when compressed, yeah.

And knowing that mechs are a thing makes me want to change from "Species/Affiliation" back to the old "Classification".

@Agnaa; sounds like that could just be mentioned in the initial summary.

Either that, or Classification is added in as a separate row to Species & Affiliation.

@Damage

I was referring to character images that are far wider than they are tall or far taller than they are wide, so they turn unbalanced with these kind of restricted borders.

@Agnaa

Relevant explanations are probably fine. However, historically captions have usually been pointless or cheeky comments, inappropriately placed quotes, or similar.

@Ant Understandable on the captions part.

For images in infoboxes, so far it seems like images that are too tall work well as the infobox also has a height cap that keeps things balanced. But images that are too wide look pretty awful. Maybe they should just have a centered image at the top like they usually do, while leaving the infobox without an image?

Ouch, image not in the infobox still looks pretty bad. Option A Option B. Neither look pretty imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back