• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

We may need a standard portable infobox for our profile pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like somebody has already messaged. Skalt711.

But can't any Admin update the Standard Format for profiles page?

Skalt711 is experienced with rewriting it in a proper manner.

Thank you for helping out.

I felt this was an inevitability, personally. If it has not already been brought up, Promestie's infobox is by and large the best example I have seen so far, and if we're already pressured to perform changes on such a massive scale, greatly streamlines our profile structure and allows us to have more extensive explainations at the bottom of the page while making battle statuses front-and-center accescible without massive amounts of scrolling.

I am personally happy to see this happen, as while it sucks that we need to make these massive edits, it's also the perfect oppertunity to greatly improve our wiki while we already have this on our plate.

@Dargoo, we're using a modified version of Prom's original template which I've linked just up above.

I like Damage's infobox. That works for me. I looked at my blog and I think it'd be a lot better if it were compact, which this infobox is.

Damage3245 said:
@Dargoo, we're using a modified version of Prom's original template which I've linked just up above.
I'm not a big fan. It seems like a strict downgrade from Prom's template; no collapsibles, no tabbers, and is missing arguably the best part of Prom's proposition: the movement of battle statuses from the bottom from the top of the page. I've frequently talked with people completely new to this site; and they almost always want to check battle statuses before anything else, sometimes even tiering.

We get to have extensive explainations at the bottom, and sources after that; while simple, easy-to-digest information is front and center on the page. Having to scroll through the breath of attack descriptions and rating justifcations just to read match histories is just bad page design, especially on mobile.

This is a wonderful oppertunity to streamline and visually improve our profiles, and we should go all-out while we are pressed to make changes anyways.

It is collapsible, it just has the arrow hidden. I dislike this (I think it looks better with the arrow), but it's a compromise I accepted. I think the tabbers are still possible, you just have to specify them in the image section.

I would like the matches on the infobox; if they're collapsed by default, it also allows people more interested in the rest of the page to ignore them if they want.

It is still collapsible and there are still tabbers.

We can have battle results listed in the infobox in a collapsed section, sure, so long as they're still listed further down the page too.

Then I fail to see why we can't just throw the arrow into the infobox since that is the only indicator of a collapsible being there anyways.

Seriously though, no response on the matches not being moved to the infobox - that was more of a concern to me than anything else on it.

So it's still sort of just a strictly worse version of Prom's infobox, IMO.

I don't see the need to have them listed twice on the page, personally. Better to move them completely, but I'd take them being in both over them being on the bottom, which is the worst place for that info IMO.

In the extended description there would be mention on the qualifiers for the versus match-up and links to the threads while the infobox would simply list their opponents in the win / draw / loss rows.

It'll be simpler if I demonstrate it, so I'll whip up an example soon.

Damage3245 said:
So just above the summary heading maybe you should put this:

Put in an infobox for the character where their images and classifiable information will be displayed. These include:

Name: The character's true name.

Aliases: Their well-known name/epithets.

Origin: The name of the fiction which the character is from, with a link to the Verse page

Height: The character's height, if known.

Species: Character's race / species.

Affiliatio: Any groups or teams that the character is a part of.

If any of these are unknown, then leave that row in the infobox blank.
I would suggest also adding something for Occupation

Against occupation, affiliation, otherwise fine with it.

SuperKamiNappa said:
If it's optional then I don't see the problem
If it's optional I wouldn't see the problem with listing eye color and opinion of others in their verse either except for taking up space. I'm more in favor of a trimmed down look. Add what's needed, make it look nice, move along.

Occupation at least, in case of say Pirate or Ninja, is already on a ton of pages in the classification section. Whereas eye color isn't

SuperKamiNappa said:
Occupation at least, in case of say Pirate or Ninja, is already on a ton of pages in the classification section. Whereas eye color isn't
This doesn't make them needed and indeed it has been discussed before that we just remove a lot of the more fluff-based categories.

Make an infobox that does its job and continue along. 's no reason to add things like affiliation and occupation.

Neutral on tier, it makes sense for it to be there if only so casual viewers can see it and then read further for more in-depth explanation.

Tier shouldn't reside within the infobox as the information itself is more crucial than a lot of the things listed in it. It also just wouldn't be necessary.

If we were to list tiers this way, it would need to coincide with the keys on the profile, a lot of profiles have multiple keys and this could end up making the infobox a mess because of how condensed it is.

Tier being directly above P&A looks better anyways, a lot of abilities are separated through keys, and if someone is examining the P&A they wouldn't even need to scroll upwards much to read what level the character resides at with them.

True, but I'd counter-argue that many of aforementioned casual viewers are here purely to see tier. If we are to believe roughly half of said viewers are on mobile, it may do to present the tier in a more aesthetically pleasing fashion. I'm neutral on whether or not it gets included, but I will defend the notion that it could be good to have.

I'm not proposing we remove tier in general from the page proper, either, to be clear.

When I said Tier, I meant Tier. Like Tier. Name. Origin Etc.

Simply put; Add all small texts in the Infobox, and let long texts (Summary, Power And Abilities, Attack Potency Etc) outsite.

I personally believe it would make the profile consistent.

Also, Keys too. So people don't have to scroll up and down and up and down on profiles like this to know which stat belong to which key.

I know what tier means

Newendigo said:
Also, Keys too. So people don't have to scroll up and down and up and down on profiles like this to know which stat belong to which key.
"If we were to list tiers this way, it would need to coincide with the keys on the profile, a lot of profiles have multiple keys and this could end up making the infobox a mess because of how condensed it is.

Tier being directly above P&A looks better anyways, a lot of abilities are separated through keys, and if someone is examining the P&A they wouldn't even need to scroll upwards much to read what level the character resides at with them."

Alternatively, this can be remedied by structuring the profile similar to how profiles like Cinder Fall is, with Keys located right below Tier.

This would be fine too given that the information in between is being shifted to the infobox.

Mr. Bambu said:
True, but I'd counter-argue that many of aforementioned casual viewers are here purely to see tier. If we are to believe roughly half of said viewers are on mobile, it may do to present the tier in a more aesthetically pleasing fashion. I'm neutral on whether or not it gets included, but I will defend the notion that it could be good to have.
I'll assume by casual viewers you mean those that either don't frequently stop by here or are new, most of those people wouldn't understand what a tier is without glancing at the AP section anyways, which Tier would be closer to should it be left in the spot it is in.

I'm not totally opposed to the idea if popular belief dictates it should go elsewhere, I just think it's fine where it is and we shouldn't clutter the infobox.

"I'll assume by casual viewers you mean those that either don't frequently stop by here or are new, most of those people wouldn't understand what a tier is without glancing at the AP section anyways, which Tier would be closer to should it be left in the spot it is in."

If we are to believe this thread, most people on this wiki are the people you are assuming do not know what tier means despite a page being provided to explain it. Sure, it's possible, but like I said, I see the sense in having it added.

Either way, if Damage or Prom ends up making a final product of source code to insert, I will happily run through the 300 or so profiles I've added and add the infobox. Question, though- what do we do for profiles with no image? I can think of at least one I've added that is in such a scenario (The King). Would the infobox simply not have an image and would that **** with the code at all?

"If we are to believe this thread, most people on this wiki are the people you are assuming do not know what tier means despite a page being provided to explain it. Sure, it's possible, but like I said, I see the sense in having it added."

It is very possible that some people may stumble onto a page for a character of their interest without seeing explanations beforehand, having it attached to an infobox or not wouldn't change that.

It really doesn't matter that much where it is, I would just rather not let popular pages with a large amount of keys (or long ones) clutter an infobox and turn it into a mess.

I would also much prefer to keep the infobox simple and essential without clutter, and not add any new and less important information such as occupation and affiliation, any character statistics that are often placed in multiple keys, or a recurrently considerable number of matchup results that are completely uninteresting to the vast majority of our casual visitors who are here for the character statistics.

I am fine with the compromise solution of making the infobox collapsible without an out of place arrow though.

Abstractions said:
It is very possible that some people may stumble onto a page for a character of their interest without seeing explanations beforehand, having it attached to an infobox or not wouldn't change that.

It really doesn't matter that much where it is, I would just rather not let popular pages with a large amount of keys (or long ones) clutter an infobox and turn it into a mess.
I strongly agree with this.

I also believe in simplicity.

Just as a test I've modified the example I used earlier to show what it would look like with a collapsed Matchups section. You can click on it to expand it so it won't be taking up a lot of space on default, and would list the characters that the profile has won/drawn/lost against.

The idea being you can see at first glance the characters in the infobox, and if you want to see the threads / extra qualifiers on the match-up you can scroll down to the Versus Match Results section further down the page.

Well, I suppose that wouldn't be too intrusive, but I still think that it would be completely irrelevant/unimportant to the vast majority of our visitors. The matchup sections were placed at the bottom of the pages for a very good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back