• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

We may need a standard portable infobox for our profile pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an infobox that lacks function because you thought it looked ugly when I thought it looked perfectly fine. In fact, yes, this does look worse to me. Even if it didn't, I don't think your aesthetic preferences should be the end all be all.

Why should your aesthetic preferences be the end-all-be-all by that logic then? I have at least tried to properly explain valid reasons for why I think what I think.

I'm not saying they should be. Damage suggested getting staff opinion. That's what I want. I've also explained my opinion

Okay then. I just like things neat, tidy, symmetrical and straightforward, and dislike pointlessness/redundancy.

In lieu of this, I would like to suggest looking into Help:preloaded templates. This feature could greatly reduce errors on new pages and help transition people to the new profile page format when the infobox is decided.

My other suggestion is to keep the infoboxes simple, including only information that is a part of every single profile page such as Tier and Verse. Other aspects that can possibly be included are tiers of different parts of their profile. The Panels feature of Infoboxes might also be an important aspect that you will want to include for characters with different Keys, and in the end might be more legible than the current Key format.

Also, if you want help with any of these features, including custom CSS editing for infoboxes, feel free to call on me. As a Wiki Manager, I'm familiar with digging around this stuff and I am pretty decent with creating complex but good looking infoboxes and pre-loaded templates. I'm also going to point out that the LUA coding format that has been adopted for Infoboxes is much easier to work with than the old format. Pretty much everything you need to know is in Help:Infoboxes and is as easy as working with HTML.

@NoGround

Thank you for helping out. It is very appreciated.

@All

I would like to formally apologise to Promestein. I shouldn't have asked a fellow bureaucrat to drop the subject, even though the wiki layout is an important issue to me and I tried to be polite about it. I was out of order on that point.

No problem at all. As a matter of fact, I will draft up a couple of suggestions, as well. If you want to see an example of the code required to implement Pre-loaded templates onto a new empty page, see w:c:nanasawashoujo:MediaWiki:Newarticletext. As an example of what the actual template would look like, I will also draft up the current new character profile page as a pre-loaded template.

Thank you for the help, NoGround! It's appreciated.

And it's fine, Ant.

I think that the verse pages can probably remain as they are. The images there usually use a landscape layout.

Pre-loaded Character Profile Draft (current Character Profile code): link.

So what would happen using Pre-loaded templates is a user would click "New Page" and be be presented with options at the top of the page for which type of page they are creating. While this doesn't excuse them from not looking at Standard Format for Character Profiles, it turns page creation into more of a "fill in the blanks" than it is right now, which is copying all the source code from the Guideline and erasing things as they go through page creation. Bit of a user experience thing. With an infobox, it would automatically apply the infobox template to the new page with the preloaded template, skipping the step of having a user copy/paste code.

Here is what it would look like with Damage's infobox suggestion: link

I will make my own infobox suggestion in a bit.

Thank you for the help. I would prefer to keep the optional sections out of the standard layout template though, given that many members will leave them empty otherwise. See here for information: Standard Format for Character Profiles

Also, I would appreciate if you keep Damage's colour theme for your portable infobox.

Damage's theme is the default wiki theme, I would not be making any stylistic changes to the infoboxes, my suggestion will only be what data is presented in the infobox.

Updated my drafts with optional categories removed.

Aha. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Using Panels to change different statistics for different keys does not seem viable due to the various amount of keys that different characters have. Panels seem to be for static information, such as different editions across an entire series, like D&D 1e-5e. Unless I can figure out how to have the infobox have a dynamic number of keys (unlikely), there would need to be copies of the same infobox with multiple numbers of keys in usage.

That option is certainly feasible, but not necessarily preferable.

Drafted infobox (image parameter included): Template:NoGroundInfoboxTest

This is the infobox for a character with a single key. What is important to note is that the infobox could replace the Name, Origin, Gender, Age, and Classification parameters on the actual page. The rest would still be required due to necessary explanations, but the infobox is meant to make information that is more in-depth on the rest of the page easily read at a glance without having to dig through everything.

Also, please note that for characters with multiple forms, a <gallery> tag can be used inside of the image= parameter. It would be presented as

Code:
 <gallery> filename.filetype|image label </gallery>

"The rest would still be required due to necessary explanations, but the infobox is meant to make information that is more in-depth on the rest of the page easily read at a glance without having to dig through everything."

I'm good with using the infobox as such, I think.

Well, I would personally prefer to avoid listing the same information two times in the pages. I was fine with Damage's version with limited options. Especially given that so many of our character pages have several statistics keys that would be hard to fit properly into a tiny userbox.

I was also just told by a Fandom staff member that we have had a sudden big spike in Google visibility, so that is something positive at least, but it may not last for long.

Ditto with Damage. It's nice to have an infobox that complements the current format, rather than making it obsolete. What else would be on the page if everything would be on the infobox?

I'll customize my example infobox a little bit more and see if I can fix up the aesthetics a bit. Will post an update here tomorrow.

The goal with my infobox was just simplified information but not meant to remove the in-depth explanation of that information. It is meant to complement the information on each page.

The reason I included the Name/Origin/Age/Classification stuff was because that is information that can easily be placed on the infobox. The other stuff is meant to be the single classification of Tier, with the rest being left to explanations, but with feedback that can be removed. Updated.

With this, the page would still have all of the necessary detailed components while moving the information that is better for an infobox onto an infobox. Additional parameters can be added, ofc, but a goal of an infobox is to make information that is already on the page easily digestible. There are other possible goals, as well, but I figured that it might be best for this wiki, but that is up to you guys (staff).

On top of this, it would be easier to just move things already on each page to an infobox than to make new information for an infobox, for 20,000+ pages.

I am fine with the new shorter version of the infobox, and agree that it is easier for us to not include any new category of information in it, so we simply have to move/cut and paste what is already in the pages.

Damage3245 said:
I'll customize my example infobox a little bit more and see if I can fix up the aesthetics a bit. Will post an update here tomorrow.
Thank you for helping out.

Yeah, that looks great! For a wiki with as many pages as this one, simpler is better. What do you guys think of the preloaded templates I proposed to help transition into the new format? It may also help with moderation.

Here is the template page for it (would probably be a good idea if it be locked so that ordinary users can't edit it).

And the example for how to add it to pages is on there.

Pages that have the infobox added to them need these bits removed from their Powers & Stats subsection and the relevant info from them added to the infobox:

• Name
  • Origin
  • Classification

Thank you for helping out.

So just above the summary heading maybe you should put this:

Put in an infobox for the character where their images and classifiable information will be displayed. These include:

Name: The character's true name.

Aliases: Their well-known name/epithets.

Origin: The name of the fiction which the character is from, with a link to the Verse page

Height: The character's height, if known.

Species: Character's race / species.

Affiliatio: Any groups or teams that the character is a part of.

If any of these are unknown, then leave that row in the infobox blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back