• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unpopular Opinions and (Friendly) Rant thread

Oh that's correct. I don't think it's the peak of the Pokémon anime that people say it is. Not by a long shot
I do agree with that sentiment. Like, it's good if you're an action fan, or enjoy more traditional Shonen stuff, but it doesn't feel all to like Pokémon. Also that final league battle will forever piss me off. Sure the typing advantage was in Alain's favor, but Ash vs Sawyer was a whole lot more climatic.

Hasn't it become a lot more controversial at time went on? Precisely for the Shonen stuff I've read around.
Yeah, people are now more willing to criticize it in spite of the rabid fanbase. Personally, I think all of Diamond and Pearl, Sun and Moon, and Journeys are better than it.

Am i an ancient fossil boomer or is this Hazbin Hotel stuff insanely cringe, like i can't even watch a clip because the dialogue is so bad.
Still haven't watched it yet, but this does remind me of something I've been wanting to say for a while (it's not really a hot take per say, but I've been meaning to get this off my chest).

A large majority of modern cartoons don't hold a candle to the classic cartoons from the 90s-2000s, yet for some reason, a good portion of the cartoon community will tell you otherwise.

I'm deadass serious when I say that I've been seeing mfs on twitter say that Bluey is a masterpiece and it's the best show on TV currently. Now tbf, Bluey is by no means a bad show. In fact, I think it's pretty good, but the standards for cartoons are in the gutter if Bluey is considered one of, if not, the best show TV currently.

People have also been saying Bluey is one of the best toddler shows of all-time, which to me is absolute asinine. I dare someone to say Bluey is better than shows like The Backyardigans, LazyTown, Bubble Guppies, Wonder Pets, Yo Gabba Gabba, Max & Ruby, Team Umizoomi, and many more.

This especially applies to shows like Amphibia, Owl House, and Craig of the Creek. I was bored asf watching these shows, and yet the cartoon community gases these shows (especially Owl House and Amphibia) like they're second coming, when genuinely great shows that can be compared to classic cartoons such as The Ghost and Molly McGee and OK K.O. get overlooked. In no world am I saying Amphibia, Owl House, and Craig of the Creek are anywhere near the levels of classic cartoons.

Honestly I don't have a whole lot of quote unquote "unpopular" opinions, but I do have strong feelings to 2 particular topics:

1. Most Chinaman verses are equally as horrible as SCP when it comes to being borderline power fantasies designed to create OP as **** verses on battle boarding websites like this one, but I consider SCP to be better in this regard because it at least has plenty of writers that don't care about battle boarding and want to create actually interesting anomalies or tales. I'm sure there are good Chinaman tales out there, but the majority I've seen ooze with the feeling of being made by battle boarders.

And 2. Horror games where you're playing a game of hide and seek against monsters that you can't defend against or fend off are honestly pretty boring to play. I get the appeal behind those types of games is that you're facing off against impossible odds and need to try getting past that, but I get a lot more engagement out of survival games because a good chunk of the horror comes from managing your resources and not accidentally leaving yourself in a very vulnerable position. Games like Resident Evil and others of its type are great examples of this.

I do have more then these ones, but these examples were on top of my head when I thought of examples so they were the ones I chose.

Honestly I don't have a whole lot of quote unquote "unpopular" opinions, but I do have strong feelings to 2 particular topics:

And 2. Horror games where you're playing a game of hide and seek against monsters that you can't defend against or fend off are honestly pretty boring to play. I get the appeal behind those types of games is that you're facing off against impossible odds and need to try getting past that, but I get a lot more engagement out of survival games because a good chunk of the horror comes from managing your resources and not accidentally leaving yourself in a very vulnerable position. Games like Resident Evil and others of its type are great examples of this.

I do have more then these ones, but these examples were on top of my head when I thought of examples so they were the ones I chose.

Balancing gameplay and horror can be pretty hard. I mean making a game scary without feeling like a chore. Dunno, but for example, Resident Evil 4 is an absolute blast of a game but it's never scary because Leon is too strong and awesome. I think feeling vulnerable or even helpless is what helps being scared, but the question is pulling it off without making the gameplay suffer. I kinda remember earlier horror games like the first Silent Hills pulled this off pretty well, but that was mostly due to clunky gameplay that was acceptable back then and wouldn't fly nowadays.

Balancing gameplay and horror can be pretty hard. I mean making a game scary without feeling like a chore. Dunno, but for example, Resident Evil 4 is an absolute blast of a game but it's never scary because Leon is too strong and awesome. I think feeling vulnerable or even helpless is what helps being scared, but the question is pulling it off without making the gameplay suffer. I kinda remember earlier horror games like the first Silent Hills pulled this off pretty well, but that was mostly due to clunky gameplay that was acceptable back then and wouldn't fly nowadays.
I think Alan Wake 1 is another example of a game that's very fun to play, but not necessarily scary because you're giving so much ammo to fight off Taken (but that's not to say that Alan Wake is a bad game, it and it's sequel are in my top 20 games of all time lost). If we're talking about a game that balances being scary and being fun to play, I think Dead Space 1 is a great example since you don't feel overpowered against the Necromorphs but you don't feel helpless either and it feels satisfying fighting them.

Ultimately my complaint comes down to the issue that games where it's mostly hiding and stuff get very boring to play after a while and, though it's the intent, not having a lot of engagement makes those kinds of games ones that you play once and don't touch again for a very long time.

One thing that really rubbed me the wrong way in later seasons was the huge increase in both grossout and mean spirited humor.
Don't know if this is unpopular or not, but gross-out humor is not funny. At all.

It's extremely rare for gross-out humor to even get a light chuckle out of me, and shows that focus too much on it are often a bad watch for me (i.e. Ren and Stimpy and Flapjack).

I think Alan Wake 1 is another example of a game that's very fun to play, but not necessarily scary because you're giving so much ammo to fight off Taken (but that's not to say that Alan Wake is a bad game, it and it's sequel are in my top 20 games of all time lost). If we're talking about a game that balances being scary and being fun to play, I think Dead Space 1 is a great example since you don't feel overpowered against the Necromorphs but you don't feel helpless either and it feels satisfying fighting them.

Ultimately my complaint comes down to the issue that games where it's mostly hiding and stuff get very boring to play after a while and, though it's the intent, not having a lot of engagement makes those kinds of games ones that you play once and don't touch again for a very long time.
Hmmm... I need to play the Alan Wake series. There's a frigton of stuff I have to play, but Alan is high up there.

Despite of how it may sound, I don't really hold not being scary as a strike against a horror game or at least not enough of a flaw to make the game be considered bad (the aforementioned Resident Evil 4 is friggin amazing, imo), especially since the creepy atmosphere and all can still work in favour of the narrative.

Yeah, I remember Dead Space. The Necromorphs were so incredibly vicious and your deaths so brutal that it was easy to feel overwhelmed. You were well armed, but your enemies were still stronger and more dangerous than you.

Yeah, I get you. That's what I meant with making a game scary (by making you helpless), but at the expense of gameplay itself, which may be enough for some to carry the experience, but not for everybody.

Don't know if this is unpopular or not, but gross-out humor is not funny. At all.

It's extremely rare for gross-out humor to even get a light chuckle out of me, and shows that focus too much on it are often a bad watch for me (i.e. Ren and Stimpy and Flapjack).
Well, it does have its audience. I personally don't like it either.

Katana > European Longsword.
c6e.jpg

Turkish Scimitar
turkey-man-angry-out-of-car-meme.gif

Second and last attempt with the spicier ones

D&D and TTRPGs in general

People who think character optimization is bad in D&D (and other games as well but D&D is the big one) and/or that you can't do it AND have good role-play at the same time shouldn't be allowed to get within 3 kilometers of a game table.
Agree
Hell, a lot of good stories irl have characters that are "optimized" in some way, simply because in a series with superpowers or action, the question of "who's the strongest" is probably gonna come up in some capacity.
(I'm about to be shot for this one I feel)

Having read about the first half of the first and all of the second...Beserk and Attack on Titan are overrated (keep in mind, things tend to be overrated when they're good to begin with). I suspect a lot of it comes from the gore and...other...stuff they use, making people falsely believe the story to be more "mature" and/or "realistic" than others based on that alone.
I do need to read Berserk properly, but from what I've heard the excessive grimness of it is mainly necessary so that the moral of continuing to struggle no matter how bad things get is more poignant. I don't think the author includes ultraviolence and grimdark themes to try to be edgy (except in the first few parts, which presumably just happened before he decided what he actually wanted the series to be), but to really emphasize that theme of no matter HOW bad things get.
If you're gonna convey a powerful message of continuing in horrific adversity, the adversity in question is gonna need to be pretty horrific.
Skill?

Skill debates can be fun and are important in a fight, though not always and not as important as some people seem to think.
There should also be more "ties".
Finally, clearly phisically impossible "skill feats" (from cutting space to dodging rain or anything that doesn't leave enough space to dodge to sensing stuff from other dimentions and more) should not be treated as anythting but powers, AT MOST letting one "scale" above another in-verse (as flawed of a reasoning as "skill-scaling" can become)
Agree. As I have pondered deeply and had a lot of character development around the concept of skill in general and why I like it so much, I've come to the same conclusions.
As a caveat on the second point, I think what level of skill should be considered "too bullshit" relies heavily on the verse in question.
If Juuzou Shishimi showed up and started cutting concepts and black holes apart in, say, The Incredibles, that would suck, because even the outright superpowers in that verse don't get that intense. But he's fine in his own series, because it's a series full of bullshit hax in general, and he just happens to be 'the skill guy' for it. Super-skills work best as a foil to super-powers.
Stats
Stat equal matches should be added to profiles, you just need to create proper rules and regulations and it can (and will) work just as well as, if not better than, speed equalization
I agree, and I would love this change to happen. But in my years of arguing for it (admittedly with some pretty terrible arguments), I have come to the conclusion it's a lost cause, like many unfortunate aspects of the wiki (supergenius intelligence).
Bang! (no, not the card game, sadly)

Guns in near-enough all of "superpower/fantasy fiction" are turbo-cringe and they should be removed from any story the moment a character tanks being thrown through buildings and/or dodges anything resembling a lightning bolt (or other feats on that scale and above)
They're also cringe irl but that's a whole different conversation that we won't get into here.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh
I really really see where you're coming from.
But I would like to add just a slight qualifier that I think it's fine if there's a reasonable assumption for them being some kind of "super-guns" that work on that level.
Like in Tenkaichi, where guns are clearly just blatantly stronger than in real life, because that series is a bunch of exaggerated historical stuff.
Historical skillchads and muscle monsters become weebshit skilled and superhuman demigods, therefore guns have also been strengthened to retain the sense of menace they had in that era.

Not to mention the Alola gang is an amazing found family for Ash and found families are one of my favorite tropes of all time

Between the actual main cast, Kukui and Burnet being his surrogate parents, and others like Gladion, the cast is just amazing

This may not be exactly unpopular but, for me, sonic > mario
That's just true

Sonic's world and characters actually feel properly developed, rather than just being a bunch of mascots in a mascot land with no proper characters. The spinoffs are your only option for actual character development, and even then, Sonic usually does it better. Luigi's a pretty strong exception to this, though.

Like, see this quote that's my signature? Yeah, let me know when Mario gets anywhere close to that. Thanks.

Back