• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

UnOrdinary Discussion Thread

When he says "acceptable within this society"

He means that it's a society made up of 98% assholes so it's ok for John to go around beating them up.

"We've again seen this over and over again. Bullying and hazing just for the sake of it when there's no need to assert dominance to begin with. Seraphina got a target on her back JUST for being weaker now, there's no reason to assert dominance on her as she was no threat to anyone, Arlo's response was telling her to "know her place" since she's now a cripple."

And again, this is wrong and yes the society is indeed trash. Now I know you go in more detail later on so I will not post my full refutation here.

"I must really refute the idea that people get reprimanded for violence in the comic. Wellston is among the very few schools that allow students to use their powers and is capable of repairing the school property regularly due to its budget.....the school KNOWS of all this violence and bullying while also doing NOTHING about it. Lockers are punched in and windows smashed yet the school despite the evidence reprimands no one. New Boston took action only when John took on so many at once. Perhaps acceptable is not the right word but overlooked certainly is. Pushing the boundaries will force action to be taken and that is a necessity in the situation."

The issue is that John's actions being a "neccesary action" doesn't make his actions anymore acceptable or justifiable hence my issue. This does not fix the issues with the character in which is what I am criticizing. My issue is with John himself, not the society (in this particular context, the society is a whole nother can of worms). And yes, people do ignore things, but John was still in fact reprimanded for his actions, that's a fact that you cannot deny no matter how one can interpret. It's a matter of whether it something that authorities are willing to cause uproar.

My issue is that no matter what, John's character has become unacceptable to someone who used to have John as one of his favorites and the issue that I have is people constantly justifying his actions and acting like he's in the right in which is far from the truth. Society be damned, just because everyone around you are a bunch of assholes, doesn't mean you should be an equal asshole. That's the issue. There are many more things he could do in order to get his point across instead of brutalizing every high tier he sees. Just because one person pissed in your cheerios and a few people attacked your best friend =/= everyone in the world is your enemy. Especially when certain people of high rank without knowing your identity tried to be nice and be friends with you. John has showed that he can think rationally. Yet, he chooses not to. Instead, he decided to be a psycho. That's the issue.

Man John is my favourite character but thats getting harder and harder to say, I really liked him for most of the story but lately... I just really hope Uru has a plan for this.

Can I go to a parallel timeline where unordinary is the story of a kid with no powers except sass, wits and hair gel and stays that way.

The hype for John realving his powers was awesome but I definitely preferred the story before then.

Back when John was a fearless badass who won through skill (and Sera yeeting some *******) not overwhelming brutality.

I would have preferred it that John does have his power, but he uses it sparingly and only when absolutely necessary. Or you know....John wasn't such an asshole with it.

I dont mind his powers and when he first used them it was badass its just thats what started everything.

When we knew John had powers and didnt use them it was pretty awesome Then Arlo betrayed him and John went off the deep end.

Also id like to say that I think that if Sera hadnt lost her powers that John probably wouldnt be doing most of this stuff he's currently doing, now im not saying thats the only reason or that John isnt responsible I just think Sera losing her power totally pushed him over the edge.

No Sera getting suspended and Arlo tormenting him for months pushed him over the edge.

@Dragon

As a character I have no problems with him at all because it's very realistic. John is angry, frustrated, has trauma, and is coping with it in a toxic way. This does not mean that I like that in a real world sense. If this were real I wouldn't like John being such a violent person and I believe that his actions will only continue to worsen and take him down a darker path (hmmm EMBER recruiting him came to mind for a sec).

Yet as a character it gives him depth and layers. He's not just someone who's nice no matter what happens to him. Certain events leave an impact on him and he changes because of them, his perspective is different. Do I like good people as characters? Of course which is why I love Remi so much and started to really like Blyke as well.

John being reprimanded is because he got out of hand and caused a large enough commotion. The fact is that him committing violence itself was not the problem. It was that it got out of hand, he couldn't be controlled. That's all they care about, keeping people in line and in control which is what John is the antithesis to.

I don't justify his actions as being good (you can see above that I did not like him hurting someone innocent at all) however I do believe that some good will come of it all. Which is dismantling what I view as one of the worst hierarchy systems ever.

"And I finally caught up again. So does anybody else hate the hierarchy system and how people generally act in this world? Like 90% of the people are dicks"

- Nico-v11 April 2018

"I feel like they're all slaves to it. Even if you're at the top it's like you're chained to a standard that you must uphold.

Then again I suppose the whole story is about breaking down that hierarchy."

- Nico-v11 April 2018

Just quoting my previous comments to show that it's not that I like what John is doing nor do I believe that it is he correct thing to do. It's just that I absolutely hate this idiotic hierarchy and want to see be destroyed.

"As a character I have no problems with him at all because it's very realistic. John is angry, frustrated, has trauma, and is coping with it in a toxic way. This does not mean that I like that in a real world sense. If this were real I wouldn't like John being such a violent person and I believe that his actions will only continue to worsen and take him down a darker path (hmmm EMBER recruiting him came to mind for a sec)."

Just because you are realistic doesn't mean your a good character. Doesn't mean one shouldn't have issues with his behavior. Being realistic is not a good reason to not have issues with his characters. I know it's your opinion, but the moment you put it out there, I have the right to criticize said opinion. This is another argument I hear a lot and it infuriates me to no end. Especially when I used to have the same idea that "being realistic" made a character better when it does not.

"Yet as a character it gives him depth and layers. He's not just someone who's nice no matter what happens to him. Certain events leave an impact on him and he changes because of them, his perspective is different. Do I like good people as characters? Of course which is why I love Remi so much and started to really like Blyke as well."

Having depth doesn't make you a good character nor does it mean it is necessarily good depth.

"John being reprimanded is because he got out of hand and caused a large enough commotion. The fact is that him committing violence itself was not the problem. It was that it got out of hand, he couldn't be controlled. That's all they care about, keeping people in line and in control which is what John is the antithesis to."

You mean exactly what he's doing now? What he's doing is clearly not a good thing and he's causing a large commotion as is.

"I don't justify his actions as being good (you can see above that I did not like him hurting someone innocent at all) however I do believe that some good will come of it all. Which is dismantling what I view as one of the worst hierarchy systems ever."

While I am case by case on the whole "End justifies the means", in this case the means do not justify the ends as in this case he is losing control instead of actually thinking straight and dismantling the hierarchy in a much better way.

"Just quoting my previous comments to show that it's not that I like what John is doing nor do I believe that it is he correct thing to do. It's just that I absolutely hate this idiotic hierarchy and want to see be destroyed."

Once again, hierarchy be damned as this is discussing John as a character and what he's doing. The hierarchy is shit, we know. That doesn't mean John also needs to be a shit person. The hierarchy is one thing and John as a character is another.

Being realistic doesn't always mean a good character however you do not need to like what a character does nor the character as a person in order for that character to be good. For example take Light Yagami. I HATE LIGHT YAGAMI WITH A BURNING PASSION! Terrible human being that disregards human life enjoys killing and is manipulative towards everyone he meets. Despite how much I hate him he is still an amazing character that is complex, intriguing, interesting, and always has you on the edge of your seat.

John is acting like a dick and is very much questionable (still holding out hope though that he at least regrets or feels guilty about Blyke). However he IS a good character. Just because you don't "like" a character as a person or what the character does that does not mean the character is bad in any way.

Another example is Walter White from Breaking Bad. From the get go I knew he would be a scumbag but man he put his own pride over his own life and his family's. Yet despite all that he's widely beloved as a character. For being layered, complex, and intriguing.

John is layered, complex, and intriguing. He's got depth from his experiences and past that influence his future actions, is complex in that he is multifaceted in development (young John being bully, beginning of series John being someone who is afraid of what he'll do and feels lots of guilt, current John being one who is letting out the built of frustration from beginning of series John).

Honestly this could go the route of wanting to make the school an easier place for Sera to be in (while getting back at Arlo).

"While I am case by case on the whole "End justifies the means", in this case the means do not justify the ends as in this case he is losing control instead of actually thinking straight and dismantling the hierarchy in a much better way."

Other than hurting Blyke and possibly losing himself we seen nothing else inherently "bad." Remi and Blyke are reacting as if John is hurting just innocent people but they are the complete opposite, they are ignorant of the actions of those John has hurt (I suspect John took on Blyke MOSTLY because Blyke said he would hunt down the masked student....). At this point in time there's nothing else John could do to dismantle the hierarchy as he is seen as a cripple, disclosing who he is not an option as he isn't ready/willing (hmmm maybe he'll reveal himself after fighting and winning against all of the royals and put himself as king....maybe fighting from mid tiers to royals as a ladder was the plan all along).

Honestly I think John would be getting less hate if we knew exactly what was thinking....which we never do. We see his actions at random but when we don't know the actual reason why for everything it seems chaotic and meaningless. When John first took on Isen people weren't happy, then a couple chapters later John finally explains his reasoning and people were ok with it (well I was, I never got over how much of an asshole Isen was....see my older comments I really do go off on him).

Hopefully this doesn't come off as aggressive.

"Being realistic doesn't always mean a good character however you do not need to like what a character does nor the character as a person in order for that character to be good."

I never said this whatsoever. Never said that John is a bad character. I have issues with his character and personally dislike how he acts. And just because he's written well or realistic doesn't mean I have to like said character. A character can be the best written character in the world and can still be disliked. Hence my issue. John can be considered well written to some, doesn't mean I have to like him or consider him a good character. Doesn't mean his actions have to be justified. Doesn't mean I have to approve of what he's doing. This is MY issue.

"John is acting like a dick and is very much questionable (still holding out hope though that he at least regrets or feels guilty about Blyke). However he IS a good character."

I mean, whether he's a "good" or "bad" character is highly subjective. Just because you think he's a good character or not doesn't mean he objectively is seeing as one's opinions on a character is entirely subjective. I go more in depth with this later.

"Just because you don't "like" a character as a person or what the character does that does not mean the character is bad in any way."

It actually can if that's what the person in question perceives as a good character. This is pushing your idea of what decides a good or bad character and stating it to be fact when something like this is entirely subjective. If someone finds a character unlikable, they can consider a character bad character by their own standards. It depends on the person.

"Another example is Walter White from Breaking Bad. From the get go I knew he would be a scumbag but man he put his own pride over his own life and his family's. Yet despite all that he's widely beloved as a character. For being layered, complex, and intriguing."

Once again, this does not make him automatically a good character in someone else's eyes. Someone else can just as validly see him as a shitty character while many love him. And just because a lot of people love him doesn't factually mean he's objectively a good character. That would be fallacious.

"John is layered, complex, and intriguing. He's got depth from his experiences and past that influence his future actions, is complex in that he is multifaceted in development (young John being bully, beginning of series John being someone who is afraid of what he'll do and feels lots of guilt, current John being one who is letting out the built of frustration from beginning of series John)."

Again, just because you think that being layered. complex and intriguing makes one a good character doesn't mean I have to or anyone else has to (of course, I never said John wasn't a good character, just that currently, I don't like his character). A character can as simple and basic as can be and be considered a good or bad character depending on the person's view.

"Other than hurting Blyke and possibly losing himself we seen nothing else inherently "bad." "

It all depends on what your concept of bad is. You see nothing inherently bad, but that doesn't mean I or anyone else won't.

"At this point in time there's nothing else John could do to dismantle the hierarchy as he is seen as a cripple, disclosing who he is not an option as he isn't ready/willing"

Except that is an option. Him being any less willing doesn't make it less of an option. The option exists, it just depends on which one he chooses.

"Honestly I think John would be getting less hate if we knew exactly what was thinking....which we never do. We see his actions at random but when we don't know the actual reason why for everything it seems chaotic and meaningless. When John first took on Isen people weren't happy, then a couple chapters later John finally explains his reasoning and people were ok with it"

Yeah, he would more than likely, but that's an if. Not a guarantee as if we knew what was in his head, then it could be even worse.

FUUUUUUUUUCCKKKK

So many paragraphs written....and the webpage reloads and all is lost.

One sentence summary: Your opinion is valid but whether a character is good is objective, for example Superman the 70s movie is objectively good however I despise the movie due to Lois Lane being irritating to me and how cartoonishly cheesy it is yet I will always say that it IS a good movie regardless.

I wrote SO much more but definitely not rewriting all that. Also used the Mona Lisa as an example instead of the Superman movie but I actually do dislike that movie so it was a more relatable example.

Ugh...I know that feeling.

Either way, Ii am getting sick of paragraphs, so this will be short.

See, the thing is that we don't have this universal golden standard of whether something is objectively good or bad. Why do I say this? Because of how people see things. One person or a group of people may say that this movie is a good movie for X reasons. The same for the opposite. Despite there may be some objectivity (tbh I see none, but eh), the fact of the matter is that when it comes to media and entertainment, subjectivity rules all.

Yeah let's keep this short. I believe there is objectivity and that while personal opinions are subjective quality is not. Subjectivity rules media and is what gives profits. In spite of all this Transformers making millions of dollars because of so many people people liking it will never compare to Apocalypse Now (was going to say Ex Machina but that movie may be a little to obscure for some).

Same applies to characters themselves.

Anyway this was fun and you've stated your end belief about subjectivity being what it all comes down to while I believe that some things must be seen from an objective standpoint. We will not be convincing the other any time soon lol.

2 things this chapter:

1. Evie is adorable....I like her a lot.

2. Seraphina confronting John with the low tiers is something I'm VERY interested in seeing.

I'm wondering at what point in the story his interaction with Evie and Roland was. Because I don't think he would have acted like that in the beginning.

Eh, I think he was. He always had the arrogant attitude, it was just that when we all thought he was a cripple it came across as a person standing up against people who thought they were better than him.

But now that we know he actually has broke ass copy powers it just comes across as the pretty much the same attitude as high tiers used to have for him.

We saw how the lie detector interrogation scene went. John never really cared for other low tiers. I mean seriously has there ever been a point in the series that he tried helping a low tier out?

Other than literally the second chapter in the series.

I guess this is kinda a spoiler alert....I can't find the spoiler tag template so sorry...

John is indeed going after Remi after Cecile.

Sadly the page loaded with the spoiler right in the middle of it.

Oh well, not unexpected, hope he gets his ass handed to him by the power of teamwork just like Sera and her new pals handed Dizzy Punch's ass to her.

Just read the newest episode,

Man I feel like Sera will get in Johns way when he goes after Remi, like in his mask he goes after Remi and then Sera sees and has a "What would John do moment" so she steps in to try and help Remi, with that I think it MIGHT hit John hard that Sera is there standing in front of him trying to stop him, seeing him as a bully

He helped Terrence out in the second chapter. So yeah, he has.

John is just..well, he is just being a jerk.

Yeah that's why I said other than the second chapter.

Nico-v11 said:
What about that guy? Pretty sure John just wanted to get away from that guy and that he was from EMBER.
He didnt know he was from EMBER at that time and saved him because Levani was going to blow up his boothe.

I only dont count it because pretty sure John just wanted to get Sera tested so it was quicker to piss Levani off by standing up for him rather then just waiting and letting him get injured and/or take his sweet time.

I like Leilah but I have to admit my first thought about her company was that it was endorsing EMBER or it is EMBER. Regardless she'll be the key to getting Sera's powers back.

Back