• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

UnOrdinary Discussion Thread

I remember some dude in the discord server tried to downplay John's past experiences as if they were not integral to his character and how he makes the comic a 'pity party'. Which is ridiculous, but you cant also say John is in the right. This sort of change for his character is not new, it is welcomed, but it changes him from Hero to Anti Hero. And at this point, he might as well be the main antagonist of Wellston.

Hierarchy is natural, Arlo is correct. That does not mean I have to like it.

Honestly, I never think John has been a hero. He's never really put himself out there purely for the sake of doing what he feels is right. Nor does he consider everyone his friend or valuable in some way to offset this and make him want to protect others. Other than that, I agree with you. Though I feel EMBER will end up being the main antagonists.

I also agree that hierarchy is natural, in particular in UnOrdinary. And yes, Arlo is more correct than John here. Both counter each other rather well, as Arlo ignores the flaws within the system, and John denies his place in it and makes things worse for everyone.

Evie is a treasure that must be protected also I'm really liking how John is thinking things out right now.

Gotta love how John while not lying managed to twist his answers or not tell complete truths. He's pretty clever which isn't really something we've seen from him before. I like it a lot.

That is the obvious answer but if John goes after Arlo then nothing is stopping Arlo from spilling John's secret either.

Yeah I figured it wouldn't be Arlo but bruh I like Blyke. I understand that John is tearing down the hierarchy which means taking down the Jack, Queen, and then King (no Ace at the moment).

Soooo who's ready for John vs Remi in a couple weeks?

I see far too many comments on Webtoon being happy about the fact that John is being a ******* ******** and it makes me mad.

I was ok with it until Blyke got the end of it. It's hard to defend John for that one but yeah John has some major trust issues and really just has PTSD from what Arlo did to him and from his middle school days.

Doesn't excuse what he did to Blyke though especially since Blyke actually told John not to worry about the masked student....John's identity getting revealed is going to feel like Code Geass all over again.

Monarch Laciel said:
I see far too many comments on Webtoon being happy about the fact that John is being a ******* ******** and it makes me mad.
Most of them are just hypebeasts. Logically, this is not good behavior.

Monarch Laciel said:
Glad I am not the only one. I agree 100%.

Tfw I am on fastpass and John only gets worse from here yall.

I like Johns complexity though. Although I love Blyke, Remi and Isen more tbh.

Oh well, I am gonna take a break from UnOrdinary until the season ends tbh. The suspense is killing me and the subversion of Johns character is starting to jarr on me. He went from a good guy with a bad temper to a jackass with a selfish atittude.

And it's getting worse. I get it, Arlo betrayed you. I get it, you were betrayed before. But that first time was a good deal your fault and the guy who tried to help you, you beat up. And it's worse when people are trying to be nice and open to you like Blyke. It's aggravating...

@Monarch

I 100% agree. The commenters seem to be justifying everything John does without giving it much thought. Even when he's doing something as blatant as hurting someone who's tried to help him. Though I'm not on fast pass so I have no clue what's in store.

It doesn't help that there's no real indication of what John plans to do other than beating people up. Like, what is his end goal? Take down the hierarchy of the school? Arlo does have a point, John can't just remove the structure and leave things in chaos. He has to plan on installing something new. Something of that sort.

That's like my big issue with the UnOrdinary fanbase. They seem to approve of everything John does and everyone apparently deserves to get beat up. As Drago said, they are the epitome of the Hypebeast. Yeah, I didn't really mind him beating the shit out of the people who hurt Sera. Hell, one could argue Isen got what was coming (although, that was ages ago). People like Blyke and his next target have done nothing to him. I mean, Blyke shot at him, but let's analyze this Blyke situation in full.

-Blyke has never interacted with John

-John was getting bullied.

-Remi tried to help him

-John curses Remi out due to anger...i.e not a good reason.

-Blyke shoots a blast out to defend his friend. Something John would do if it was the other way around and that was Sera getting cursed out.

-Blyke and John end up sharing rooms.

-Neither like each other.

-Blyke dislikes John for how he treated Remi.

-John dislikes Blyke for the energy blast. Going by the events, who has more reason to dislike the other?

-Blyke actually tries to open up to John continuously

-John continuously brushes him off.

-Blyke tries to reassure him that he'll try and keep him safe from the mysterious attacker showing that Blyke somewhat cares for John's well being.

-John brushes him off.

-John attacks and beats up Blyke in order to take his skill.

-Blyke literally displays his weakness in front of John.

-John ignores it.

Something tells me that John has no reason to be so antagonistic. And considering the trend of John going after high tiers. Cecile and Remi are next on his list. And that's going to make this situation worse. Like John has become a character who I just want to see get humbled. Maybe the Principal can do this? He's a mystery. Or maybe Sera will find out and give him a verbal smackdown. Either way, this current John is probably my least favorite character. You know it's an issue when you prefer Arlo to John...

EDIT: I love how even with all of John's stuff, Sera would still basically wreck him in a fight if she had her powers.

@Dragon

I 100% agree. Blyke is the best character so far. And I honestly can't tell if Uru-chan is purposely making John unlikable, or believes that he still is a likeable character due to the fans. I understand that he's beyond his breaking point and is beating up on everyone, but he hasn't gone insane, and actually has retained cool judgment. So he's perfectly aware that what he's doing isn't right...and he keeps doing it. Which is the frustrating part. I'm really only waiting to see what comes out of it.

Sera's powers seem drastically above anything else in verse, minus John's copy ability. If John and Sera fought, it would really depend on what John opened with. If he opened with Arlo's barrier, she would have to break through it, but I doubt she could one shot it as John is stronger than Arlo. And if John ever copied her power, he'd likely be more proficient at her in using it. Both their abilities seem to be thought based, so it's really a manner of what John does first, and how long Sera can keep him in a time stop. Since even if she beats him half to death, he could possibly just regen and keep going.

I still like John as a character and love that he's constantly developing and changing instead of being static but yes he did cross a line.

Honestly if all he needed to do was to simply "beat" Blyke in a fight then ok but as per usual John went completely overboard.

One could argue that since Blyke would be actively hunting down the masked student that John had to act first in order to prevent that. Still didn't have to put like 10 holes into Blyke though.

Litentric Teon said:
@Dragon
I 100% agree. Blyke is the best character so far. And I honestly can't tell if Uru-chan is purposely making John unlikable, or believes that he still is a likeable character due to the fans. I understand that he's beyond his breaking point and is beating up on everyone, but he hasn't gone insane, and actually has retained cool judgment. So he's perfectly aware that what he's doing isn't right...and he keeps doing it. Which is the frustrating part. I'm really only waiting to see what comes out of it.

Sera's powers seem drastically above anything else in verse, minus John's copy ability. If John and Sera fought, it would really depend on what John opened with. If he opened with Arlo's barrier, she would have to break through it, but I doubt she could one shot it as John is stronger than Arlo. And if John ever copied her power, he'd likely be more proficient at her in using it. Both their abilities seem to be thought based, so it's really a manner of what John does first, and how long Sera can keep him in a time stop. Since even if she beats him half to death, he could possibly just regen and keep going.
https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/2602778

Litentric Teon said:
Well I have seen Uru Chan in cons and podcasts where when pressed about john about being a jerk, she retorts by saying "Is he though?"

To be fair, she thinks the same for Arlo. It could just be a writer's quirk.

But UnOrdinary is not really a stranger to foreshadowing and building suspense. At this rate, John is going to reveal himself to Sera, and get accidently get crowned King.

And Sera would likely disown him as a friend.

Literally everything bad will happen to John at the end of the season, except for perhaps being arrested by the Authorities.

John isn't in the right, and he is no longer morally gray. I think Uru-chan is going for the classic "fall and then rise." character arc to develop him further. Since she also said she has stuff planned as far as Season 2.

At least, that is my theory. Thankfully I am too poor for fast pass after this week and I want to see end game so uhh, if I am wrong, I would love to be so.

But I think we can all agree at this rate, even if somehow Sera does not find out or still keeps him as a friend and he somehow does not become king...all the high tiers will probably look away from him in fear. Including Arlo. Destabilizing the Hiearchy.

BTW, I love how he jokes with Claire about kicking her ass and then unironically says "Who said I was joking? I will kick your ass eventually...it just will be a surprise."

That is a literal savage and a psychopath at that point.

Edit: Should add the two who don't know about John's identity and are still nice are Blyke and Remi, the two who even if Tuesday does beat them up, probably would still be nice to John anyway.

Which btw is a dick move if he beats up my waifu Remi </3.

Remi is a top tier so while it hasn't been mentioned, she would naturally be on his list.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
Remi is a top tier so while it hasn't been mentioned, she would naturally be on his list.
Pls dont do this to my waifu dragon </3 She did absolutely nothing wrong.

Join the Blyke club. John no longer cares.....which annoys me and pisses me off...

@Sins

A rise and fall would be alright. John's already fallen once, so I was hoping he'd be on the rise. But it seems like he's falling but in a different way from last time. I mostly just want to see what Uru-chan has in store.

You know what? John is living proof of how truly flawed this entire hierarchy system they have is. John is cruel, viscous, merciless, and unbeatable. By Arlo's mindset John is the true King. The one who SHOULD be the one in charge solely because John is the most powerful.

For better or worse John is proving the point of just because you're the most powerful you don't deserve to be on top calling the shots. Just because you're the most powerful that doesn't mean you have to be forced to align in a certain position. Every was well and dandy with John hiding his powers and since being unleashed he's regressed to his violent tendencies he tried to leave behind.

So yeah it's all Arlo's fault for tormenting John and forcing him to become someone he wanted to leave behind.

Arlo being the catalyst is true. However, John at the end of the day is still responsible for his own actions. Arlo, brought out his powers. John is deciding to use them in a violent and irresponsible way. There is a limit to how much Arlo can be blamed as he never said "John, go out and brutalize everyone". He said, "If you are the Top Tier, take command."

But that's the point. John shouldn't be the one taking command. Clearly it's not something that he wants, is good at, or sees any value in.

I've always viewed John's actions as "acceptable within this society" if that makes sense. I do NOT approve of what he is doing but what he is doing is far less wrong that what we have seen many others do.

We've seen bullies of all kinds torment other students and those actions are deemed as appropriate in this society. Therefore if anyone in the series is calling John a monster is nothing more than a hypocrite.

All of those John has hurt (excluding Blyke) have also hurt others that are innocent. Two wrongs don't make a right but all of this focus on John being "the bad guy" has everyone forgetting just how truly awful all of those others are and how "acceptable" those actions were.

If what those bullies have done is acceptable then by that society's standards what John is doing should be acceptable as well.

Society in unordinary is the living meme that adults are incompetent af so far.

Arlo gets beat up and the school nurse is like:

"Hmm I wonder if I should tell the head mas- Eh **** it, he has it under control. Where is my coffee?"

Legit no one cares.

Hell, I wont be surprised if John somehow gets found out by Vaughn that he did so many things, that he gets a slap on the wrist.

Even knowing his actions.

The only person who seems any sort of serious so far is Keon. And Keon is arguably a manifestation of the perfect slave to society.

Diseased. Rotten to the core. Burn the slate clean. And from the ashes a new society will rise. Evolved but untamed

Don't mind me I've just been playing too much Revengeance

"But that's the point. John shouldn't be the one taking command. Clearly it's not something that he wants, is good at, or sees any value in."

Whether he should take command is not the issue. The issue is that if HE cannot control himself and take command like a normal person that's HIS problem and not the fault of anyone else who didn't even know of his violent tendencies.

"I've always viewed John's actions as "acceptable within this society" if that makes sense. I do NOT approve of what he is doing but what he is doing is far less wrong that what we have seen many others do."

If his actions were "Acceptable in this society" he would not have been reprimanded in the first place. What he's doing is clearly not acceptable. There is a stark difference to beating someone in a fight to assert dominance and flat out brutalizing someone. And then expect people to do what you say when you don't choose to take command.

"We've seen bullies of all kinds torment other students and those actions are deemed as appropriate in this society. Therefore if anyone in the series is calling John a monster is nothing more than a hypocrite."

Them being hypocrites do not make their points less valid. Hypocrisy does not equal validity. Not to mention, we see high tier do simple bullying actions to lower tiers yes, which we have other high tiers break up for a reason. However, anything worse is done outside the view of society.

"All of those John has hurt (excluding Blyke) have also hurt others that are innocent. Two wrongs don't make a right but all of this focus on John being "the bad guy" has everyone forgetting just how truly awful all of those others are and how "acceptable" those actions were."

No one is forgetting anything. None of the other examples were acceptable either. However, the simple fact of the matter is that John is the focus here, and seeing HIM do this stuff puts him in the place of being a "bad guy". Not to mention we are also thinking ahead as not only has he attacked someone innocent, another innocent, Remi would also be on his list as he's going after high tiers. No one cares about those kids who brutalized Seraphina, what we are upset about is John going after people who are now innocent and have done nothing to him and brutalizing them.

"If what those bullies have done is acceptable then by that society's standards what John is doing should be acceptable as well."

Except it isn't. Once again, the fact that John has been reprimanded for his actions in the past is proof of this. What goes on between teenagers and the constant bullying is something that goes on out of the eyes of authorities. So in no way, shape or form is what John is doing acceptable. Not even by this society.

I should have specified this but I'm referring to the school society. Hurting others just because you're stronger than them. No one bats an eye, everyone goes along with it, and Arlo encourages it. At least early on he did. Same goes for others.

John got reprimanded after taking on the whole school....if they actually cared about school violence then John would have been reprimanded long before reaching that point.

1. "Whether he should take command is not the issue. The issue is that if HE cannot control himself and take command like a normal person that's HIS problem and not the fault of anyone else who didn't even know of his violent tendencies."

We are agreeing here btw. John acting the way he is exactly proof of how flawed the "follow the strong person" rule is. It's utter ridiculous and John's actions represent this wholely. Perhaps now Arlo will realize that just because you have power you shouldn't be the one to dictate everything.

2. "There is a stark difference to beating someone in a fight to assert dominance and flat out brutalizing someone. And then expect people to do what you say when you don't choose to take command."

We've again seen this over and over again. Bullying and hazing just for the sake of it when there's no need to assert dominance to begin with. Seraphina got a target on her back JUST for being weaker now, there's no reason to assert dominance on her as she was no threat to anyone, Arlo's response was telling her to "know her place" since she's now a cripple.

The hierarchy is garbage and needs to go away. John's actions are not acceptable but necessary to change just how skewered and wrong things are.

I must really refute the idea that people get reprimanded for violence in the comic. Wellston is among the very few schools that allow students to use their powers and is capable of repairing the school property regularly due to its budget.....the school KNOWS of all this violence and bullying while also doing NOTHING about it. Lockers are punched in and windows smashed yet the school despite the evidence reprimands no one. New Boston took action only when John took on so many at once. Perhaps acceptable is not the right word but overlooked certainly is. Pushing the boundaries will force action to be taken and that is a necessity in the situation.

(Again John is not doing the "good thing", it's a necessary evil that will cause gradual change)

Back