• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unofficial Powers and Abilities Addition Thread Infinite

At some point I'm now thinking there's a several characters who have grappling hook(or some sort of it) and can use it in combat, do we have an ability which covers that kind of item? Transportation wisely it's a bit more limited than flight but also can be used on different combat purposes, though I don't know how it can be called... It's not necessary can be a hook btw, Spider Man's web are made for those kind of purpose for instance(and he can be a good example of what I'm implying here).

How about something like "Subconscious Influencing" for abilities that are currently listed as "Social Influencing " like Weather Report or Kamui (The Silver Case)? Imo it's clearly different enough to warrant a split, nevermind that Resistance to Social Influencing sounds stupid and that'd fix it.
That sounds interesting but can I look at the concept of idea cause I don't fully get it.

At some point I'm now thinking there's a several characters who have grappling hook(or some sort of it) and can use it in combat, do we have an ability which covers that kind of item? Transportation wisely it's a bit more limited than flight but also can be used on different combat purposes, though I don't know how it can be called... It's not necessary can be a hook btw, Spider Man's web are made for those kind of purpose for instance(and he can be a good example of what I'm implying here).
Thread Manipulation
That sounds interesting but can I look at the concept of idea cause I don't fully get it.
Basically those two characters can affect others' minds but not through anything that actually resembles mind manipulation, it's simply transmitting information to who they face, but that information itself has a supernatural effect. However the transmission itself isn't any different from someone reading a book and understanding that book's contents.

That's litteraly covered by mind stuff.
It's completely different, it's literally more similar to convincing someone to kill themselves through words alone which is why it's currently listed as Social Influencing. There's been a fuckton of discussions about this already seriously.

Sort of like thread manipulation however with characters having a bit limited form of it where he not exactly control those threads. Thread manipulation is usually associated with characters that can manipulate threads. I'm talking more about characters like: Batman, Mabel Pines, Wrecking Ball, Ratchet and etc. Who can do stuff like thread manipulation but can't manipulate threads.
Yeah I suppose that makes sense, but idk if it's worth a power. Maybe some kinda limited surface scaling for those who can use it to cling to stuff?

Yeah I suppose that makes sense, but idk if it's worth a power. Maybe some kinda limited surface scaling for those who can use it to cling to stuff?
Probably though it also can be used in combat as well on opponents themselves (I feel there is some kind of scene where Batman used his hook to combat stuff at least).

The idea btw came to me when I saw this, this and asked myself what would this be and then I acknowledged there's many characters with something like this but which doesn't have an called ability for that.

So this is pretty mixed ability, with taking something from thread manipulation, something from surface scaling, something from flight, for which I probably would do page (if I will learn how). But the name is still hard given... The only thing which came to my mind is "rope stretch" or "hook stretch" since all have some sort of "rope" which they're stretching on different purposes. At this moment the concept pretty much it. It have a different purposes so there's plenty of characters who can use that differently.

Doesn't resistance negation and immunity negation is different
The site treats them as the same as an "immunity" is a No Limits Fallacy for our purposes, unless the character in question lacks the aspect to manipulate to begin with, for example, "Immunity to Soul Manipulation (Lacks a soul)", and even then they can be bypassed by some characters by just bounding them to one and manipulating it accordingly (or just Resistance Negation in some cases), but that's besides the point.

Last edited:
Subconsciousness Influencing is Hypnotism, that is related to Mind Manipulation.
Again, resisting Mind Manipulation would get you nowhere in that regard, it doesn't supernaturally make you do something, it just convinces you to in a non-supernatural way. The only supernatural thing are the effects, but unlike mind manip, the "vehicle" of those effects is non-supernatural.

Last edited:
The non-supernatural form of mind manipulation is social influencing. Making you think you are turning into snails is not social influencing, is straight up altering your perception for instance.

It's altering your perception in a non-supernatural way. THE EFFECTS are different, but that's completely unrelated.

I know it's ridicolous, but the world of Jojo operates in such a way that through subliminal messaging, you can make someone believe they're a snail so much that they turn into one. And subliminal messaging is indeed, not supernatural. And not Mind Manipulation.

I know it's ridicolous, but the world of Jojo operates in such a way that through subliminal messaging, you can make someone believe they're a snail so much that they turn into one. And subliminal messaging is indeed, not supernatural. And not Mind Manipulation.
We treat Hypnotism as Mind Manipulation, it really isn't different.

Convincing people naturally and actively messing with their mind isn't the same thing at all; and Heavy is definitely weird mind stuff.

Heavy as explained by Pucci isn't mind manip at all. He likened Heavy Weather to a picture with the word sex written all over it that tricked people into thinking it was just a normal picture.

It's an optical illusion dressed up as mind hax.

Well, we clearly shouldn't (not for realistic hypnosis at least), and I've explained why it is different. Affecting the subconscious ISN'T messing with the mind in the way you intend it. There's absolutely no difference between you reading a book about elephants and internalizing facts about elephants and being exposed to Heavy Weather and internalizing the fact that you're a funky little snail.

Not all mind manipulation is of supernatural nature (e.g. mind manip via pheromones or brain surgery or nanobots or the classical hypnosis via trance and pendulum) and not all forms of manipulating minds are necessarily resisted by every form of mind resistance (e.g. via mind control resistance via control over ones bio-electricity won't help against non-physical mind control attempts).
Given I don't think it matters which of the two abilities it's classified as, as long as the page is clear on how it works. It really doesn't need an extra ability page, though.

alright then, but since we currently classify it as SI, isn't it worth a note on that page?

I know that we can just mix 'n' match absorption and healing for this, but, I think Lifesteal as an ability could work. Lifesteal, as in, those abilities in competitive games where your character can straight up heal themselves by simply damaging the opponent with ordinary attacks, or even with a specific physical/magical attack. i mean still we can just use both absorption and healing

I know that we can just mix 'n' match absorption and healing for this, but, I think Lifesteal as an ability could work. Lifesteal, as in, those abilities in competitive games where your character can straight up heal themselves by simply damaging the opponent with ordinary attacks, or even with a specific physical/magical attack. i mean still we can just use both absorption and healing
I guess Moira perfectly fits under that.

alright then, but since we currently classify it as SI, isn't it worth a note on that page?
Social Influencing that causes weird ass supernatural effects just sounds like the word thing from Umineko but SI instead of reality warping. Definitely should have some weird explanation for what it is, probably listed moreso as a technique than a conventional ability.

Probably though it also can be used in combat as well on opponents themselves (I feel there is some kind of scene where Batman used his hook to combat stuff at least).

The idea btw came to me when I saw this, this and asked myself what would this be and then I acknowledged there's many characters with something like this but which doesn't have an called ability for that.

So this is pretty mixed ability, with taking something from thread manipulation, something from surface scaling, something from flight, for which I probably would do page (if I will learn how). But the name is still hard given... The only thing which came to my mind is "rope stretch" or "hook stretch" since all have some sort of "rope" which they're stretching on different purposes. At this moment the concept pretty much it. It have a different purposes so there's plenty of characters who can use that differently.
Made a draft for ability. Feel free to make notes and opinions.

Thing is, we already have law manipulation, is even listed on order there, I agree they are similar but I remember we had a discussion of this on previous unofficial powers threads and it was usable.

You mean like, a draft for a updated chaos page, well idk, it feel good enough to me, unless you mean like adding possible users and stuff.

New ability suggestion.

"Information Retrieval"
Information Retrieval is the ability to be able to retrieve information quickly, often from a database or a supernatural structure of sorts. information retrieved this way can often be done on the fly, usually within combat itself, sometimes by simply saying a word or asking an A.I./magical spirit of sorts to inform the user for what they asked. Information received this way may be limited to the databases internal records or entries, and thus may not have information on every subject. The limitations of said use of this ability should be noted.

Notable users
  • Green Lantern, via the Power Ring's internal database
  • Iron Man, via J.A.R.V.I.S.
  • Pokémon trainers via Pokédex Entries
Image suggestons: These two gifs of Pokedex entries (1, 2) or this panel from a Green Lantern comic

I was told this can't be considered a power or ability, because it's 'just like opening an internet browser'...but wouldn't being able to effectively do that anywhere count as an ability in its own right? Access to countless volumes worth of information on subjects far and wide that you can nigh-instantly get is an incredibly specialized technique that's quite common among tech users and some magic users, and should thus be noted on pages

New ability suggestion.

"Information Retrieval"
Information Retrieval is the ability to be able to retrieve information quickly, often from a database or a supernatural structure of sorts. information retrieved this way can often be done on the fly, usually within combat itself, sometimes by simply saying a word or asking an A.I./magical spirit of sorts to inform the user for what they asked. Information received this way may be limited to the databases internal records or entries, and thus may not have information on every subject. The limitations of said use of this ability should be noted.

Notable users
  • Green Lantern, via the Power Ring's internal database
  • Iron Man, via J.A.R.V.I.S.
  • Pokémon trainers via Pokédex Entries
Image suggestions: These two gifs of Pokedex entries (1, 2) or this panel from a Green Lantern comic

I was told this can't be considered a power or ability, because it's 'just like opening an internet browser'...but wouldn't being able to effectively do that anywhere count as an ability in its own right? Access to countless volumes worth of information on subjects far and wide that you can nigh-instantly get is an incredibly specialized technique that's quite common among tech users and some magic users, and should thus be noted on pages
Imo looks pretty good. The ability makes sense and at least can be helpful in some inverse battles. I don't think you can just open internet browser during the combat so doing something like this is pretty useful.

Little out of this theme but
Made a draft for ability. Feel free to make notes and opinions.
Just want to know does it looks fine or maybe I should work on something.

I'd make the ability more restricted or anyone with a smartphone and internet could theorically get it.

It some way, that ability may be related to Info Analysis or ESP (Claircognizance). Not particulary against it tho.

Just want to know does it looks fine or maybe I should work on something.
I was planning on an ability like this in the future. I think it's definitely valid but personally think it could do with expanding for the page. I also think it could use a different name, since Rope Stretch doesn't really make much sense for the power. Possibly Grappling or Tethering, something of the like.
I'd like to help you with this tho, since like I say I was planning it myself lol.

I was planning on an ability like this in the future. I think it's definitely valid but personally think it could do with expanding for the page. I also think it could use a different name, since Rope Stretch doesn't really make much sense for the power. Possibly Grappling or Tethering, something of the like.
I'd like to help you with this tho, since like I say I was planning it myself lol.
yeah, agree to change name I just was in the rush to create a concept. And also agree to push more text, maybe about some of possible uses and limitations. For instance one of limitations can be the fact that with some exceptions grappling needs an physical object on which it can be used cause it can be used on air. One of possible uses would be acrobatic maneuvers and/or fast travel.

Though to the end I would insist to use Hat Kid as image example, because I like it and it pretty much good example.

I think it should have more uses, I'm thinking along the lines of Spiderman or Rico Rodriguez from Just Cause. It should also have those kinds of applications imo, as simply swinging or climbing/etc may come off as redundant to some people.

I might also make a sandbox to show how I feel about the ability if that's ok.

Back