• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unofficial Powers and Abilities Addition Thread Infinite

I think it should have more uses, I'm thinking along the lines of Spiderman or Rico Rodriguez from Just Cause. It should also have those kinds of applications imo, as simply swinging or climbing/etc may come off as redundant to some people.

I might also make a sandbox to show how I feel about the ability if that's ok.
yeah, that would be good.

I personally think the ability should be named Grappling Hook since I think that term is used a lot even for characters that don't really own a hook to begin with, also because two famous characters use grappling hooks.

slight of hand should be a thing, its a notable enough skill to show on a characters page but there isnt really any ability that fits it except maybe stealth mastery, also high pain tolerance should probably be different from resistance to pain manipulation, either a whole new ability or make it resistance to pain manipulation type 2

slight of hand should be a thing, its a notable enough skill to show on a characters page but there isnt really any ability that fits it except maybe stealth mastery, also high pain tolerance should probably be different from resistance to pain manipulation, either a whole new ability or make it resistance to pain manipulation type 2
Sleight of hand seems more of a feat of speed or stealth or both. As for high pain tolerance, I think that can be added to someone's stamina since it requires effort to move through the pain a character is feeling.

By the way, I'm surprised that not many people have Law Manipulation as a power. When I read the page, law manipulation feels like a high scale power that only cosmic beings can have since they can manipulate the underlying laws of reality. I'd like to add something to law manipulation that allows lesser characters that use magical contracts, geas, restrictions, etc. to have this existing power.

Since law manipulation involves the control of "laws" and "rules" of reality, I think we should allow other characters who have lesser uses of this power to have it. For example, Lancer has a rune that prevents people from refusing a 1v1 battle or disengaging from it. Sounds like power nullification, but no powers are nullified in the process but restrictions are placed upon those who are affected by it. I have no idea if he uses it, but it was in his page so I had to use that as an example.

There's also more examples of this application of law manipulation, like anyone who uses magical contracts that impose conditions on the victim that they must follow, otherwise they will suffer negative consequences.

Ok, looks good. I'm still for Hat Kid image but that's just biased me, Just Cause is also good.
Lol, I just like having Gifs on the pages and Just Cause makes the most sense to me since I'm not massively familiar with Hat Kid.
Overall page looks pretty good and understandable. We would requesting this to be added soon or some time to be prepared?
That's up to you. I'm good for whenever tbh.

I think the other example you provided (Tethering) would be a better name for the ability. People will probably see "grappling" and immediately assume that it's some unique ability wrestler characters have methinks.

I think the other example you provided (Tethering) would be a better name for the ability. People will probably see "grappling" and immediately assume that it's some unique ability wrestler characters have methinks.
That's a good point, I forgot Grappling was also a fighting term. I'll be sure to mention that whenever the thread is made.

I'd like to revise the Vehicular Mastery page into Transportation Mastery. It's a placeholder name for now, but here's my new definition for TM:

"Transportation Mastery is the skill to operate external, physical and controllable apparatus to transport the user to a different location. This can range from using a bike to cross the street to piloting a spaceship that can travel vast amounts of space and even travel between different dimensions. This skill also includes the ability to effectively use a living creature (ranging from horses to magical beasts) and even supernatural objects (flying sentient brooms and cosmic surfboards) to transport the user to a different position. Note that using one's powers to transport themselves, such as levitating through the air or lifting one's self above the ground with a summoned rock, does not count since it does not use anything that would be considered external to the user. Powers like the ones previously mentioned are usually innate, unless the character can use their powers to summon a means of transportation and use their own skill to operate it."

tl;dr this ability includes stuff like being able to ride horses, unorthodox types of vehicles (magic brooms & cosmic surfboards) etc. But I do recommend reading the definition for a full understanding of this ability.

Also, I suggested integrating the likes of Water Walking into a new ability that I called Supernatural Movement. Here's my definition for this power:

"Supernatural Movement is defined as the ability to move along certain surfaces usually through supernatural means, often transcending mundane methods of movement. Characters with this power can walk on surfaces that would normally be impossible to walk on such as quicksand, water, air or energy. The application of this power can be extremely broad in its usage, but in general this ability allows the user to move along (or even through) impossible surfaces without falling or passing through it."

Water Walking falls under this ability as well. Besides the examples of Water Walking, I think a user of this power would include the likes of Monsoon from MGR, who can walk upside down on surfaces through some form of magnetism.

I'd like to revise the Vehicular Mastery page into Transportation Mastery. It's a placeholder name for now, but here's my new definition for TM:

"Transportation Mastery is the skill to operate external, physical and controllable apparatus to transport the user to a different location. This can range from using a bike to cross the street to piloting a spaceship that can travel vast amounts of space and even travel between different dimensions. This skill also includes the ability to effectively use a living creature (ranging from horses to magical beasts) and even supernatural objects (flying sentient brooms and cosmic surfboards) to transport the user to a different position. Note that using one's powers to transport themselves, such as levitating through the air or lifting one's self above the ground with a summoned rock, does not count since it does not use anything that would be considered external to the user. Powers like the ones previously mentioned are usually innate, unless the character can use their powers to summon a means of transportation and use their own skill to operate it."

tl;dr this ability includes stuff like being able to ride horses, unorthodox types of vehicles (magic brooms & cosmic surfboards) etc. But I do recommend reading the definition for a full understanding of this ability.

Also, I suggested integrating the likes of Water Walking into a new ability that I called Supernatural Movement. Here's my definition for this power:

"Supernatural Movement is defined as the ability to move along certain surfaces usually through supernatural means, often transcending mundane methods of movement. Characters with this power can walk on surfaces that would normally be impossible to walk on such as quicksand, water, air or energy. The application of this power can be extremely broad in its usage, but in general this ability allows the user to move along (or even through) impossible surfaces without falling or passing through it."

Water Walking falls under this ability as well. Besides the examples of Water Walking, I think a user of this power would include the likes of Monsoon from MGR, who can walk upside down on surfaces through some form of magnetism.
As I may pointed out it previously but I like the concepts overall. At least changing vehicular mastery under mastery of using any stuff for transportation, for now most of characters I know have venichular mastery simply because they can drive cars or just characters that uses a mech in combat, so expansion of the functionality seems like a good idea for me.

I personally feel Supernatural Movement may need to be expanded upon slightly, since before any other examples you gave, Water Walking or Walking on walls were the only real examples I could think of.
Stuff like people walking on clouds, casually walking on/through quicksand as if it wasn't there, etc. They're not specific examples but I think these feats are fairly common in fiction.

I'm in support of both, Supernatural Movement could cover even Surface Scaling.

On the topic of revising already existing powers, I was thinking about changing the Natural Weapon page to something along the lines of Bodily Weaponry, making it also applicable for Robotic Characters who share the likes of metallic Claws, Teeth, or even the likes of Saws, Drills, and more.

Originally I was going to propose this as its own power as something like "Artificial Weaponry" but this would obviously cause confusion with Cyborgization, as users may not know if a character would qualify for one or the other.

I don't believe that simply being a robotic character with claws would be even nearly enough to warrant something like Cyborgization, and if it does, it doesn't make much sense. It would also not fall into Natural Weaponry, as first and foremost; it isn't natural.

I was thinking about the ability to create living beings out of nothing or from your body, with it being named something like Spawning.

This kind of ability is currently worded on profiles like creation, maybe life manip or such sometimes, but I feel calling it like that is kinda off.

It would apply to those who can create minions and other creatures, like many animal-like monsters and creature (think of insect people birthing other insects, or some videogame bird dropping eggs that imediately hatch baby enemies) and stuff like that, and even those who can create living beings from nothing (like some vampires creating bats).

I think profiles that have that generally consider it summoning. Which I can understand why. But I believe the likes of laying an egg which hatches within a proximity of an opponent or something would likely be a different ability yes.

Another unlikely-to-be-added ability, but what about electromagnetism? This obviously has the same issues as the lifesteal ability, where you can just smack both elec and magnetism manipulation on a character's profile, and the fact that not a lot of characters have the ability in the first place.

but what about characters that use emps we cant just give mister random 9-B soldier from realistic first person shooter such a busted abiltiy just because he can equip emp grenades

For EMP grenades, I think it would be some form of technology manipulation rather than electromagnetism since the result is the disabling of nearby tech. Giving physics manipulation for a nuclear bomb just because it uses the strong and weak force to activate a chain reaction that explodes it doesn't make sense.

I think we should have Multilocation, to cover characters who exist or can exist in multiple places at the same time without being omnipresent.

Exactly, it would not only apply to duplication users, but mostly to those characters and entities who reside in multiple places because tied to a concept or an element, or because part of their essence in multiple beings, or AI which exist in multiple computers and programs, and everything similar.

Idea seems good, I can see one of the Rick and Morty characters having it, if you know about who I'm talking about.

And it can be useful enough in combat.

Exactly, it would not only apply to duplication users, but mostly to those characters and entities who reside in multiple places because tied to a concept or an element, or because part of their essence in multiple beings, or AI which exist in multiple computers and programs, and everything similar.
Sounds like nigh-omnipresence, but I know a few characters who can use this ability by virtue of existing on singular points on multiple planes of existence.

Yeah a multipresence type power seems like a worthwhile addition. I think a good example for it would be Marvel Odin, in one issue he was simultaneously attending Thors pyre and speaking to Tony Stark on a rooftop somewhere else, even telling Tony that "I am many places".

Nigh-Omnipresence could be characters who are omnipresent on scales less than universal; such as planetary or galaxy. But it also includes people omnipresent on a temporal level but not spatial level. There are characters who just exist on multiple time periods but not quite all time periods, which would be multipresence.

Sounds like nigh-omnipresence, but I know a few characters who can use this ability by virtue of existing on singular points on multiple planes of existence.
Exaclty, this came into my mind because nigh-omnipresence is still too broad. Like, existing in every tree of the world, in every book, in every star or even in every atom is still far beyond nigh-omnipresence, which is kinda arbitrary by itself as a thing. There are also other applications, as others mentioned.

I will arrange a draft at some point.

I've had that listed as avatar creation on a character or two, but I agree making it a separate power would be better

In that same vein, would it be possible to add Hive Mind onto the wiki?

It would be for characters/races that share one mind with each individual instance of themself. Kind of like Unity from Rick and Morty, the Tyranids from Warhammer 40k, and Ultron Sentries from Marvel

Back