• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact AKM sama if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need your help!

We need Patreon donations of at least 250 Euros per month for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive "Supporter", "Super Supporter", or "Ultra Supporter" badges that remove all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.

Unofficial Powers and Abilities Addition Thread Infinite

Zaratthustra

VS Battles
Content Moderator
Image Helper
Oh, I see. How would this help actually..usually if the items in questions are more special and not the usual forgettable equipments they would usually have some sort of bond with X character and only they can use (Mjolnir can only be used by people who meets some requirements; X could be because of sentience and won't recognize another master - Master from the Isekai novel; or Maybe cause they made the weapon and only they can use it...just some examples). This kind of page sounds more like an indexing one as I don't see its use....but maybe i'm not thinking enough so if you could explain the usefulness of having it made.

The most blatant use of it would be being a sort of unconventional Power Mimicry resistance, and of course use of the thing in question by someone else, which is relevant for thieves and stuff like that.

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
Oh, I see. How would this help actually..usually if the items in questions are more special and not the usual forgettable equipments they would usually have some sort of bond with X character and only they can use (Mjolnir can only be used by people who meets some requirements; X could be because of sentience and won't recognize another master - Master from the Isekai novel; or Maybe cause they made the weapon and only they can use it...just some examples). This kind of page sounds more like an indexing one as I don't see its use....but maybe i'm not thinking enough so if you could explain the usefulness of having it made.
It's definitely not a power that's gonna change many VS matches but it is a notable one. Plus I can definitely see it being used in some instances, some weapons like the Monado kill those that aren't worthy to use them and generally an enemy being unable to use your weapon is a notable if not super-important factor in a match

Jasonsith

VS Battles
Calculation Group
It's definitely not a power that's gonna change many VS matches but it is a notable one. Plus I can definitely see it being used in some instances, some weapons like the Monado kill those that aren't worthy to use them and generally an enemy being unable to use your weapon is a notable if not super-important factor in a match
User identity verification?

Quite a few characters and mechs (and even quite a lot of modern devices IRL including the smartphones we are using) have such ability.

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
Not many would try to steal/take the weapon of the opponents.
Irrelevant, that's matchup dependent. Plus like, we don't make profiles for matches.
User identity verification?

Quite a few characters and mechs (and even quite a lot of modern devices IRL including the smartphones we are using) have such ability.
Yeah, that is a way for it to possibly happen.

The criteria for something being a new power page is that no other page properly covers it and that it's common enought to have, correct?
If so, I'd say such power would be fine given there's a whole trope on that and you're more than welcome to just check the examples section to see how common it is.
A quick read on the trope does make me notice a concern, and it's on whether we'd include stuff like Pokémon trainers out of their Pokémon being capable to elect who they listen to.

Last edited:

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
The criteria for something being a new power page is that no other page properly covers it and that it's common enought to have, correct?
If so, I'd say such power would be fine given there's a whole trope on that and you're more than welcome to just check the examples section to see how common it is.
A quick read on the trope does make me notice a concern, and it's on whether we'd include stuff like Pokémon trainers out of their Pokémon being capable to elect who they listen to.
Pokemon aren't really weapons, they're allies, doesn't count.

Bump.
Can somebody start a draft over this new power page?
Edit: Went ahead and did it, now give comments on it, probably more examples and of course an image that shows someone being unable to use a weapon that didn't "choose" them.

Last edited:

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
Edit: Went ahead and did it, now give comments on it, probably more examples and of course an image that shows someone being unable to use a weapon that didn't "choose" them.
Excuse me, it was my idea, why should you do it? I'll be the one to make it, thanks. At the absolute least wait for me to wake up before deciding you'll be the one to do it.

Last edited:

Agnaa

Super Supporter
Ultra Supporter
Would a power for weapons that can only be wielded by select individuals be possible? It sounds pretty specific but when you think about it there's dozens of examples (Master Sword, Mjolnir, stuff like that) and nothing we really have covers that.
Sounds like more of a limitation to be noted on the weapon's page, rather than a power to give to the weapon (or even worse, to its wielder).

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
Sounds like more of a limitation to be noted on the weapon's page, rather than a power to give to the weapon (or even worse, to its wielder).
Supernaturally (or otherwise) preventing someone from using you is a power, that should be very obvious. I don't see how it being a limitation makes it not a power.

Sir_Ovens

Resident Kitchen Appliance
VS Battles
Administrator
Why would it be a limitation when it's usually seen as a boon? Weapons that only work with their owners is only a problem if it is the standard equipment of someone other than the owner.

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
Furthermore, impairments can still be counted in P&A. If someone's power drains their own lifespan, that is still minor Life Manipulation.

Agnaa

Super Supporter
Ultra Supporter
Wouldn't the power just be the mechanism to prevent people from wielding it? Extraordinarily large weight, death manip, mind manip (if wielding it makes you a significantly worse fighter), etc.

Sir_Ovens

Resident Kitchen Appliance
VS Battles
Administrator
I'm thinking more like a weapon is powerless unless it's in some guy's hand. Or it will automatically teleport back to the guy.

Think Mjolnir rules.

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
Wouldn't the power just be the mechanism to prevent people from wielding it? Extraordinarily large weight, death manip, mind manip (if wielding it makes you a significantly worse fighter), etc.
The mechanism is a thing, the unique method is another and can itself be helpful to the wielder in a fight or elsewhere. I see no issue here.

Vietthai96

He/Him
This situation is case by case, some case it is weapon power which should be used for weapon that have it own page, some it is character powers, also in some case weapon have it own consciousness, mind which make them capable of choosing their wielder which is not a power at all.

Agnaa

Super Supporter
Ultra Supporter
It's just a unique trigger for an ability (if wielder is not the chosen one, activate this method of impairment). I don't think adding such triggers is particularly useful; we don't need power pages for "Spoken Ability", "Thought-Based Ability", "Passive Ability" etc.

I think the awkward names that have been suggested (Exclusive Equipment, Item Exclusivity, Chosen Weapon(ry), Loyal Weaponry) and how different they feel (at least to me) from other powers and abilities we have is emblematic of this difference from most other abilities on our site. It's not an ability, it's a condition/use-case for an ability.

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
I think the awkward names
My brother in Christ a solid 50% of our P&A names sound awkward, do you think "Bodily Weaponry", "Beyond-Dimensional Existence", "Free Movement" or "Non-Physical Interaction" are actually good names? They're stupid as fuck, you're just more used to them.
that have been suggested (Exclusive Equipment, Item Exclusivity, Chosen Weapon(ry), Loyal Weaponry) and how different they feel (at least to me) from other powers and abilities we have is emblematic of this difference from most other abilities on our site. It's not an ability, it's a condition/use-case for an ability.
A "condition" that in itself has a very noteworthy effect on the characters and is greatly different from just "oh he does ability with a think", as it has its own effect that is consistent among all users of the ability. It's no different from Reality Warping, that also doesn't mean anything without further elaboration

My brother in Christ a solid 50% of our P&A names sound awkward, do you think "Bodily Weaponry", "Beyond-Dimensional Existence", "Free Movement" or "Non-Physical Interaction" are actually good names? They're stupid as fuck, you're just more used to them.
They sound cool to me

Agnaa

Super Supporter
Ultra Supporter
Responded to the first part off-site since it isn't very relevant to its addition.

A "condition" that in itself has a very noteworthy effect on the characters and is greatly different from just "oh he does ability with a think", as it has its own effect that is consistent among all users of the ability. It's no different from Reality Warping, that also doesn't mean anything without further elaboration

P&A isn't for everything with a noteworthy effect on the characters, it's for every power and ability they have. There are some extremely specific conditions that have a very very noteworthy effect on characters, but they're not really a power in and of themselves.

My issue isn't with whether it does or doesn't have a consistent effect, or whether it does or doesn't require elaboration, my issue's that it doesn't feel like an ability. While we have some other stuff that I'd put under the same camp (the classic trio of Awakened Power, Berserk State, and Rage Power just being slightly different triggers, restrictions, and weaknesses for Statistics Amplification), they're really old, and I would strongly oppose adding that level of redundancy for every other ability we have on the site (and would prefer we merge old pages that run contrary to this).

Last edited:

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
P&A isn't for everything with a noteworthy effect on the characters, it's for every power and ability they have. There are some extremely specific conditions that have a very very noteworthy effect on characters, but they're not really a power in and of themselves.

My issue isn't with whether it does or doesn't have a consistent effect, or whether it does or doesn't require elaboration, my issue's that it doesn't feel like an ability. While we have some other stuff that I'd put under the same camp (the classic trio of Awakened Power, Berserk State, and Rage Power just being slightly different triggers and restrictions for Statistics Amplification), they're really old, and I would strongly oppose adding that level of redundancy for every other ability we have on the site (and would prefer we merge old pages that run contrary to this).
I mean, those pages all have a similar effect (I don't really have an opinion on whether they should or should be merged), but what would you list this as? It's a pretty unique concept that we have a blindspot for and I think it being so notable.

Plus, I just think it's a very notable concept that right now cannot be always easily expressed in a page and can even have some impact on certain fights.

Also you forgot Empowerment

Agnaa

Super Supporter
Ultra Supporter
I mean, those pages all have a similar effect (I don't really have an opinion on whether they should or should be merged), but what would you list this as? It's a pretty unique concept that we have a blindspot for and I think it being so notable.

Plus, I just think it's a very notable concept that right now cannot be always easily expressed in a page and can even have some impact on certain fights.

Like with an ability being passive, or taking a massive amount of time to activate, or having hard-to-obtain prerequisites, I'd just include it in the ability's description, either in the P&A or in NA&T. There's a lotta common things that have an impact on a lot of fights but aren't abilities, so they have to be expressed elsewhere.

But this is a pretty arbitrary line, so if enough people disagree, then whateva

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
Like with an ability being passive, or taking a massive amount of time to activate, or having hard-to-obtain prerequisites, I'd just include it in the ability's description, either in the P&A or in NA&T. There's a lotta common things that have an impact on a lot of fights but aren't abilities, so they have to be expressed elsewhere.
Yeah but sometimes it's not an ability at all, the weapon just doesn't work. Hell I have an example of a weapon that only one person can use, but if others attempt to it just says "You can't handle that.", which is not helpful at all as a power lol. I would be surprised if that was the only example

Agnaa

Super Supporter
Ultra Supporter
I forgot to mention that it could also be explained in standard equipment/optional equipment, next to the entry for the weapon.

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
I forgot to mention that it could also be explained in standard equipment/optional equipment, next to the entry for the weapon.
eeeh, idk, that's a bit random as a position, like,

• Golden Gun (Can only be utilized by Emir, as nobody else will be able to "handle it"
doesn't really fit swiftly imo

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
I know I can and I have but I still don't think it belongs only there, it's a widespread trope that can have easily understandable effects in combat just by existing in someone's P&A.

Excuse me, it was my idea, why should you do it? I'll be the one to make it, thanks. At the absolute least wait for me to wake up before deciding you'll be the one to do it.
Oh sorry for breaking your copyright.
...Indexing doesn't work like that, anyone can contribute to stuff and doesn't "own" a page, it's not like I'm voting in an staff thread without being staff myself and not being asked to, in fact you're more than free to just colaborate or grab the current idea and make it better for the site's purposes and so on.

Confluctor

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
The problem is not that, it's just likely he was already working on it or maybe had something completely different in mind. You went ahead and made it - and not to sound rude, half assed it too. Plus those examples... Really? I mean not a single mention of Thor - who is literally the most popular user of the said ability.

But anyway, what's done is done.

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
Oh sorry for breaking your copyright.
...Indexing doesn't work like that, anyone can contribute to stuff and doesn't "own" a page, it's not like I'm voting in an staff thread without being staff myself and not being asked to, in fact you're more than free to just colaborate or grab the current idea and make it better for the site's purposes and so on.
Cool, still my idea, and I'm still gonna be the one making the page, you were way too hasty and did not take my opinion into account since you went ahead and did it before I would even wake up and see the post. Just because I don't "own" it doesn't mean you can do whatever you want with something I had a specific idea for.

Not to mention, I quite frankly don't think your blog is a very good starting point, and it being a blog instead of a sandbox implies you'll be the one doing most of the work (with us only able to make suggestions since we can't edit it directly) which quite frankly nobody asked you to do. Cheers.

The problem is not that, it's just likely he was already working on it or maybe had something completely different in mind. You went ahead and made it - and not to sound rude, half assed it too. Plus those examples... Really? I mean not a single mention of Thor - who is literally the most popular user of the said ability.

But anyway, what's done is done.
Well, he should just clarify so in that case instead of just being rude and claiming ownership of a concept, that'd be like saying that no one can post a more developed thought on the matter just because someone else brought it up first, which is rather restrictive and inappropiate to say the least, especially when it's not disruptive like posting a CRT when someone else was already working on the same thing.

Yeah, I'm not too knowledgeable on examples, and I did even mention it was lacking in that regard.
Cool, still my idea, and I'm still gonna be the one making the page, you were way too hasty and did not take my opinion into account since you went ahead and did it before I would even wake up and see the post. Just because I don't "own" it doesn't mean you can do whatever you want with something I had a specific idea for.

Not to mention, I quite frankly don't think your blog is a very good starting point, and it being a blog instead of a sandbox implies you'll be the one doing most of the work (with us only able to make suggestions since we can't edit it directly) which quite frankly nobody asked you to do. Cheers.
Again, you can't own an idea for the purposes of the wiki, in fact I'm not even using it for whatever I want, I'm just laying an idea from my perspective from where to start explaining the power so it gets a page (you're acting as if I posted it as a regular page), if anything I'm just contributing to it, and once again, you're more than welcome to just grab it and reword it as necessary, it's far from an absolute to begin with.

Well, I've seen this stuff being often done in blog posts, if someone else would like to edit it, they could've just corrected me to just paste it on a sandbox instead, so it's just a mistake on my part if anything on that regard, and the last part is mean and you know it.

Last edited:

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
Well, he should just clarify so in that case instead of just being rude and claiming ownership of a concept, that'd be like saying that no one can post a more developed thought on the matter just because someone else brought it up first, which is rather restrictive and inappropiate to say the least, especially when it's not disruptive like posting a CRT when someone else was already working on the same thing.
To be quite frank I don't see how you going ahead and making a sandbox for something that I wanted to do without even waiting for me to leave an opinion isn't ten times as rude, so you'll have to forgive me.
Again, you can't own an idea for the purposes of the wiki, in fact I'm not even using it for whatever I want, I'm just laying an idea from my perspective from where to start explaining the power so it gets a page, if anything I'm just contributing to it, and once again, you're more than welcome to just grab it and reword it as necessary.
That's fine, and I refuse to use your perspective as a starting point as I believe mine would make for a better one. Since you can't own the idea, surely you don't mind this.
and the last part is mean and you know it.
It's correct. You were a quite marginal part of the discussion and you waited for nobody's opinion before going ahead. On an objective sense, nobody asked you to make that blog. If that comes off as rude then maybe you should reflect on why it does.

To be quite frank I don't see how you going ahead and making a sandbox for something that I wanted to do without even waiting for me to leave an opinion isn't ten times as rude, so you'll have to forgive me.

That's fine, and I refuse to use your perspective as a starting point as I believe mine would make for a better one. Since you can't own the idea, surely you don't mind this.

It's correct. You were a quite marginal part of the discussion and you waited for nobody's opinion before going ahead. On an objective sense, nobody asked you to make that blog. If that comes off as rude then maybe you should reflect on why it does.
Because I'm not particularly rushing the discussion either, it's no different from me just saying a rough description of the power in here then waited to see how it can be expanded or reworked for our purposes.

Correct, but at the same time I wonder how different your perspective would be.

I watched the entire discussion on the power from the start, and I didn't rush the thing either as I'm just saying my perspective on the matter. If we go with the "nobody asked you to do this", then by that logic absolutely nothing would get done as that's rarely done to begin with, so that's a bad argument to say the least, and further comes as rude for that matter. Perhaps you should keep in mind that as much not everyone thinks like me, not everyone thinks like you either and are allowed to just express their perspective?

Jasonsith

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Why would it be a limitation when it's usually seen as a boon? Weapons that only work with their owners is only a problem if it is the standard equipment of someone other than the owner.
Well I cannot keep track of evey dialogue But I believe the ability for weapons to stop working on unauthorized users can be seen as an ability, a utility. In fact, lots of real life devices have anti-theft features and we need such features.

Moreover it would be beneficial for the intended weapon user if the opponent cannot steal the weapon the owner is using. And in worse luck cases, if the unauthorized user somehow stole the weapon, some anti-theft features may deter opponents or "intruders" from stealing the said weapons.

I am less interested in personal insults so I will not take part. But how is the organization of the "user identification verification" ability going? Anyone actually checking which wordings get a password requires rewriting?

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
Correct, but at the same time I wonder how different your perspective would be.
Does that matter? I had an idea in my mind, for quite a lot more time than you. An idea that I am now developing, halting other projects of mine, because you've put me in an annoying spot.
I watched the entire discussion on the power from the start, and I didn't rush the thing either as I'm just saying my perspective on the matter either. If we go with the "nobody asked you to do this", then by that logic absolutely nothing would get done as that's rarely done to begin with, so that's a bad argument to begin with, and further comes as rude for that matter. Perhaps you should keep in mind that as much not everyone thinks like me, not everyone thinks like you either and are allowed to just express their perspective?
Mm, no, you didn't "express your perspective", you decided to forcefully push the discussion forward (maybe I wasn't able to work on this at the moment due to other issues? you couldn't know that! i'm definitely busy with other work, like three-four CRTs nearing completion, so it is a pain in the side), taking the lead without anyone agreeing that you should do that (in fact you didn't wait for anyone's opinion)

To be quite frank I perceive this as very rude and brash, and would expect better of someone that certain members of this wiki hold in high regard. Literally all it would have taken you is to wait a day or so before making it, and it would all have been fine.

For this topic in particular, no, take your time.

Yeah, I wouldn't like to ignore you in the development of this and all, for the rest, there's no real standard on the phases the development of a new power page, so that's quite up in the air for starters, and it's to be expected that this stuff can happen as a result, I apologize if that came as mean.

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
For this topic in particular, no, take your time.

Yeah, I wouldn't like to ignore you in the development of this and all, for the rest, there's no real standard on the phases the development of a new power page, so that's quite up in the air for starters, and it's to be expected that this stuff can happen as a result, I apologize if that came as mean.
That's fine, I don't mind it in the end. Though I would ask that you all wait a little more as I have a lot of stuff on my platter, even just VSBW-wise