• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unofficial Powers and Abilities Addition Thread Infinite

Actually, I have a concern. How does this work with mind manip? Would 1 person worth of mind manip be enough to work on and control the entire thing, since it's only 1 mind?

Yea, I'm genuinely surprised we don't have Hive Mind as a thing yet. I guess you could say it's just more potent telepathy or mind hax.

Actually, I have a concern. How does this work with mind manip? Would 1 person worth of mind manip be enough to work on and control the entire thing, since it's only 1 mind?
Subjective, really. I'd say characters like Unity truly share only one mind between instances, whereas Tyranids still have individual consciousnesses, but share thoughts with each other through the same connection.

So basically if 5 people share 1 "mind" with no "core" or whatever you can just mind hax 1 and you have them all, contrary to something like Xenomorphs where they're a hive mind but if you mind controlled 1 it would just override it and you control that specific individual, correct?

I'd think being in a Hive Mind would give you unconventional resistance to mind manip if you're just one consciousness in multiple bodies.

But verse mechanics takes precedence I'm sure.

I was thinking, the Status Effect Inducement's name is pretty RPG-ish, and one may argue that few effects such bleeding, dizzy or blinded are not quite status ailments. Wouldn't be more appropiated to rename the power as just Inducement?

Sounds a bit too vague tbh, how about Debuff Inducement? The others that you mentioned are kind of status ailments when talking about a verse that somehow uses gameplay mechanics, otherwise they are just something more realistic like Blood Manipulation or Perception/Sense Manipulation

Eh, I feel like it's good exactly for RPG-ish statuses, when there's one that can't really be qualified as anything else it's nice to slap a SEI and let it go

Yeah, is quite the issue, not all verse except by some rpg will treat blindness of bleeding as an status ailment, like, being resistent to these status in one game shouldn't means that the character wouldn't be affected when someone rip their eyes or throw dirt in the face, or the bleeding caused by conventional means ( at least without a good explaination beyond "immune to blindness").

I'm not sure I understand how that affects the power page itself?

The issue is very minor, but Inducement if a more universal term whenever only rpg (in game) and verses that uses game mechanics only acknowledge the term "status ailments". Plus, with only Inducement, whe can add other variations that aren't quite ailment altering, such damage inducement (although, one may suggest to create damage manip, but I believe it was rejected in the past).

Inducement sounds too vague though, I feel like you could word 80% of P&A as inducement of something. I think just stuff that would be considered status effects is fine imo

TBH I'd support just removing the page given how it tries to generalize several powers when we have the right power page for each one individually, like when I complained over Elemental Manipulation and pushing for its removal, but then that got shut down out of not being an high priority at the moment.

Nah, I don't agree with that. If there's a generic effect that is not covered by our pages SEI inducement is the only thing that describes it, obviously the page has to describe it between parenthesis right after.

Such as? Something as oddly specific as "Status Effect Inducement (Y induces Paralysis Inducement and Sleep Manipulation)" can be simplified to just "Paralysis Inducement and Sleep Manipulation (With Y)".
It also takes less time to write and is even more direct to the point.

Dizzy, Bleeding, Confusion, Stun, Flinch are all common ones we don't really cover, but really a lot of RPGs have got their own unique status effects. Such as FFX-2's Itchy, or Chrono Chross' Sprain, Final Fantasy 9's Heat (Character is KO'd if they use any move before it runs out, doesn't actually have anything to do with heat I believe), Pointless also from FFX-2 which prevents the character from earning EXP, do you want me to go on? There's plenty of weird, uncommon ones that out P&A won't cover.

Yeah, and that power page doesn't even cover them, it's just a broad term for powers that are oddly specific yet are treated as an active effect, often in games.

Such kind of powers are best just being described briefly in the respective page. If it is indexed that much then you could argue that such power could use a power page of its own, we even allow verse-specific power pages nowadays.

"Some examples of status ailments include (but are not limited to):"

I don't disagree that it shouldn't be used when other P&A pages suffice, so I'm fine with it being edited, but deleting it is stupid. And no, I'm arguing that it should be used for niche cases that don't deserve their own page, which is the exact opposite of what you're saying, especially since verse-specific power pages can only be made for very complex ones.

Niche cases that don't have their own page should just be described without linking to a proper page, as we do with extremely specific details at times. Status Effect Inducement does nothing to help the indexing of this kind of stuff than just act as filler at best.

Regardless, I'm not particularly arguing for its removal right now, that'll be a future topic to handle.

Last edited:
Niche cases that don't have their own page should just be described without linking to a proper page, as we do with extremely specific details at times. Status Effect Inducement does nothing to help the indexing of this kind of stuff than just act as filler that at best.
Not linking to a page is ugly and feels unprofessional. I don't really care if you think it doesn't help indexing those cases when it clearly does.
Regardless, I'm not particularly arguing for its removal right now, that'll be a future topic to handle.
Make sure to contact me when you do.

Didn't expect someone trying to remove the page tho. Anyway, haven't you noticed how is a power sequested, people agrees, but then nothing happens? It happened with the defense break ability at least...

I don't see what's so wrong with the ability sounding RPG-ish, when most of the characters who have that ability come from... well, RPGs, so that's probably why it's named that way.

A lot of terminologies originated from competitive gaming terminologies; glass cannons, stone walls, ect. Or even Attack Potency is derived from "Attack Power" which is often a video game stat. So Status effecting has no issues and is consistent with other terms.

That is generally under weapon mastery.
I mean, there is many character that have master marksmanship without weapon. For example, character can project energy blast and fire it at great precision, or character that can throwing thing that not weapon. Marksmanship is a skill require aiming and not all weapon require marksmanship

Those are some... really bad examples. Being able to project chi or whatever at someone with good precision means they're just good at using energy projection. We also classify characters that use weird objects that shouldn't be used as weapons in the first place as "<Object here> Master (links to weapon mastery)" or "Weapon mastery (proficient at using <weird object>"

Do you guys think we should have a power like "Property Manipulation"?
Basically, the ability to change the properties or nature of a target. Like making stone fluid by giving it the properties of "ocean" or making someone small and weak by giving them the properties of "an ant". Or also more direct manipulation of a single property, like manipulating the properties of a flame to make it cold.

I have a feeling like those kinds of abilities currently are often falsely associated with concept manipulation, so having a designated ability for it might be useful.

I have a proposition for an ability, Resilience. (Can't think of a better name)

In a nutshell, it is similar to Type 2 Immortality, but the user can't survive permanently, just for an extended period of time.

Some of those could basically be seen as stuff like matter manipulation, temperature manipulation, Size Manipulation or transmutation. And the ant example could potentially make something stronger given that ants are known to lift 50 to 5000x their own weight depending on the breed of ant.

I have a proposition for an ability, Resilience. (Can't think of a better name)

In a nutshell, it is similar to Type 2 Immortality, but the user can't survive permanently, just for an extended period of time.
I actually agree with this- it's definitely not necessary or anything but it feels weird not to have any ability for a character who's able to survive for a few minutes after their head is cut off. I'd definitely fuse some types tho

Some of those could basically be seen as stuff like matter manipulation, temperature manipulation, Size Manipulation or transmutation. And the ant example could potentially make something stronger given that ants are known to lift 50 to 5000x their own weight depending on the breed of ant.
That's true. You could in principle split it up in countless separate abilities for each possible effect. It's definitely more of a "mechanism"-type of ability, like causality manip, concept, manip, magic, reality-warping etc.

If it is only one of those effects it is better to classify it as the specific ability. In fact, I would say that could be a rule for the power.
I'm thinking of characters like Brunhild Schild with her ability to manipulate the properties of stuff by writing what it should be on it or Ichibei's naming ability, though. Abilities which can change basically any properties they want. (Well, within what the NLF allows)

@DontTalkDT I believe you may refer to something like this: Property or Status Manipulation? So it can vary between matter manip in the most mundane examples to concept manip in the most extreme cases. May also be associated with Information Manipulation.

As for Resilience, I think that is just Stamina/Endurance.

@DontTalkDT I believe you may refer to something like this: Property or Status Manipulation? So it can vary between matter manip in the most mundane examples to concept manip in the most extreme cases. May also be associated with Information Manipulation.
To some extent, yes. But not concept manip, actually.
One could also say that the idea is to create an ability for people that have something like concept manipulation, but don't deal with the abstract universal things that are concepts and instead just manipulate the nature of the actual (non-abstract) thing they are targeting.

Back