• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unbanning DB vs. Marvel/DC (and possibly Saint Seiya too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my thoughts.

Superman vs anyone in DB should be banned.

Goku vs anyone in DC should be banned.

Goku vs Superman is old news. Clearly Superman vs Jiren is what's really popular now.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
Here is my thoughts.
Superman vs anyone in DB should be banned.

Goku vs anyone in DC should be banned.

Goku vs Superman is old news. Clearly Superman vs Jiren is what's really popular now. </div>
Fool. U.I Goku vs Jiren is the true match of the centry.

Agree with Dragon

As long as we don't have Superman vs anyone in DB or Goku/Vegeta vs anyone in Marvel/DC, things should be fine.

Goku/Vegeta vs Marvel/DC - Banned

Superman vs DB - Banned

Using the rest of the characters can be a good idea but I don't even care that much about these matches so whatever. I am neutral.

I suppose that we could do as was suggested above and try to allow these matchups for a while, and if it doesn't work out we can ban them again.

Seventy96 said:
@AKM sama How about Saint Seiya?
I never thought DB vs SS was a big deal anyway, so I don't know. Maybe restrict Goku/Vegeta in those matches too.

You're seriously underestimating bandwagoning over here. I am and will forever be against lifting any kind of ban regarding DC, Marvel, SS and DBZ

Even with Goku vs Superman, I think that should be unbanned. Does it cause flame wars? Yes. But only if people act immaturely. We should trust the people doing these Vs Battles to behave themselves, if they can't, then THEY should be the ones banned. Not the thread. When someone gets drunk and acts like a twat at a party he gets thrown out. The host doesn't cancel the entire party.

Lunacorva said:
Even with Goku vs Superman, I think that should be unbanned. Does it cause flame wars? Yes. But only if people act immaturely. We should trust the people doing these Vs Battles to behave themselves, if they can't, then THEY should be the ones banned. Not the thread. When someone gets drunk and acts like a twat at a party he gets thrown out. The host doesn't cancel the entire party.
To be fair, with Saitama vs. DB, there weren't many flame wars, and even if there were, people still came to a conclusion.

I vote for lifting the ban. While understandable and I can see it happening, it is an ultimately unwise decision in my point of view. Even banning Goku and Superman matches is a bad idea, and I am heavily against it.

• For starters, it just generalizes stuff. Because Goku V.S. Seiya, Goku V.S. Superman and similar frequently cause flame wars, then the entire verse must be banned to match against the other? What kind of logic is this? I mean, flame wars happen in any match, in any verse and any principle. Goku V.S. Superman is notably more blatant because they are a more symbolic kind of match, but still these kinds of matches happen every time. Hell, I've seen in multiple communities - and even here - Superman V.S. Goku debates going on smoothly. Much more than some others here. I've literally seen Superman V.S. Goku matches more reasonable than whole revision threads.
  • Banning character matches because of people causing flamewars is, imo, a bad idea. It is like banning a specific religion because fanatics of the same religion do bad stuff, banning political parties because some of their members vandalized something, and etc. (Won't get into more examples because they're really controversial) Characters are characters, people are people. The rule should be "no flamewars" and insta-closing threads that have gone awry, or insta-deleting flamewar-y responses.
  • Banning the matches only limits possible battles, and not only that, but one of the most well-known and symbolic to VS-Debating as a whole.
  • And lastly, banning such matches isn't solving the problem. It is avoiding it. The problem is immature, frustrated and/or trollish people. Banning the match helps little to adress the problem, I could link several dozens of matches where flamewars occurred, sometimes with the same character.

Well, I agree with Sera, except that Goku vs Superman should stay banned; too much hostility and it always turns into a shitstorm. I don't get why DB vs MCU/DCEU (and Arrowverse?) is banned, although, other than Mr Mxyzptlk and Dormammu, there isn't that many characters in the live action verses that can stand a chance against DB's top tiers. Anyway, unban DB vs DC/Marvel except Goku vs Superman.

I've been around long enough to know that it's definitely not overestimation.

If you want to lift the ban on the matches and ban users on a case by case basis, you are just going to create more work for yourself and everyone involved in it for little to no gain, especially on debates like Goku VS Superman that's one of the most overexhausted debates along with politics and religion. If you ban Goku VS Superman and allow other comic characters, users will automatically diverge to them and substitute for Superman.

EliminatorVenom said:
I vote for lifting the ban. While understandable and I can see it happening, it is an ultimately unwise decision in my point of view. Even banning Goku and Superman matches is a bad idea, and I am heavily against it.
  • For starters, it just generalizes stuff. Because Goku V.S. Seiya, Goku V.S. Superman and similar frequently cause flame wars, then the entire verse must be banned to match against the other? What kind of logic is this? I mean, flame wars happen in any match, in any verse and any principle. Goku V.S. Superman is notably more blatant because they are a more symbolic kind of match, but still these kinds of matches happen every time. Hell, I've seen in multiple communities - and even here - Superman V.S. Goku debates going on smoothly. Much more than some others here. I've literally seen Superman V.S. Goku matches more reasonable than whole revision threads.
  • Banning character matches because of people causing flamewars is, imo, a bad idea. It is like banning a specific religion because fanatics of the same religion do bad stuff, banning political parties because some of their members vandalized something, and etc. (Won't get into more examples because they're really controversial) Characters are characters, people are people. The rule should be "no flamewars" and insta-closing threads that have gone awry, or insta-deleting flamewar-y responses.
  • Banning the matches only limits possible battles, and not only that, but one of the most well-known and symbolic to VS-Debating as a whole.
  • And lastly, banning such matches isn't solving the problem. It is avoiding it. The problem is immature, frustrated and/or trollish people. Banning the match helps little to adress the problem, I could link several dozens of matches where flamewars occurred, sometimes with the same character.
Giphy
BRAVO!!

Scarlet has a point about potentially causing lots of unnecessary work for ourselves.

You have to remember that the site is ABOVE ALL ELSE an indexing site, NOT a site to debate matches. The first one takes priority everytime. And this is coming from someone who has been advocating for the improvement of the vs battles experience time and time again.

I get where you are coming from, Scarlet, but the name "VS Battles" suggests that this is a site where, well, VS matches happen. So it kind of makes sense to see it as a debating forum imo

If the issue is workload and avoiding flamewars, and taking consideration that this site is above all else an indexing site, I have a better idea: Ban matches altogether.

It will reduce activity by a significant, if not large margin. It will make things become much smoother, with much less flamewars and potentially cutting a good part of work. Of course, VSBattles wiki is immense, and it is still a herculean task to administer it, I imagine, but VS-matches are one of the most active forums here.

If I sound offensive or rude, I fully apologize.

@Stryk3r1337

A look at the homepage suggests otherwise. And the whole "Adding Victories/Losses" to characters has been added recently something that I've been strongly against and have suggested it's removal because it completely deteriorates the quality of the discussion a lot of times.

I also agree with Venom. The D Mods will have a bit more work, yes, but it doesn't take long to close an obviously hostile thread.

ScarletFirefly said:
@Stryk3r1337
A look at the homepage suggests otherwise. And the whole "Adding Victories/Losses" to characters has been added recently something that I've been strongly against and have suggested it's removal because it completely deteriorates the quality of the discussion a lot of times.
I'm aware that this is mainly an indexing site, but I'm just saying that the name of this site makes it seem like a debating site.

EliminatorVenom said:
If the issue is workload and avoiding flamewars, and taking consideration that this site is above all else an indexing site, I have a better idea: Ban matches altogether.
Yes, way to build a strawman out of my argument.

A lot of these bans have come from experience. Do you realize that there exists a whole sectio that prohibits certain arguments because users repeat them again and again while trying to get upgrades for franchises? If we entertained every single one of these threads we'd lose a ridiculous amount of time and not to mention mental sanity.

@Firefly

Wrong. I didn't try to build a strawman, I am doing a suggestion based on the issues that such matches had, from the comments I've read now.

I've been here since a loooong time ago too. I may not have commented or even been 1% as active as most people around here, I recall not even having an account when I first saw the site, but I was here before the matches were banned. Even then I thought that the ban was wrong, and I keep the same opinion as before.

Yes. And... ?

ScarletFirefly said:
EliminatorVenom said:
Yes, way to build a strawman out of my argument.
That's a strawman?

Not exactly a good way to argue against someone. Calm down.

I'm not really sure why you're telling me to calm down so I'm just gonna ignore that.

I'm not going to debate this further, I'm here to say I'm against it though You can do however you or others decide. Just be ready to handle the influx of threads and sockpuppets. I have no intention to start anything.

Because you're calling out people for apparently strawmanning you when that's not the case, I quoted it in my post.

You guys need to stop confusing debates with shitstorms. The thread hasn't turned into anything at all.

@Scarlet

What do sockpuppets have to do with the discussion at hand? Also, there will be a lot of threads, yes. I don't see what is wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back