• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
First why aren't we using 1px for the landmasses when 1px would also be invisible from space? I just don't get why it has to be 1/2 a px specifically when 1 should work fine.
In cases where the thing you are measuring is completely invisible due to distance we do allow usage of a half pixel measurement to express this

Take something like this here

By 39 seconds its zoomed so far out the earth is completely invisible now if the earth blew up after that and explosion was visible on screen and you're able to px scale it, you could use half px to scale it off of earth

Last edited:
In cases where the thing you are measuring is completely invisible due to distance we do allow usage of a half pixel measurement to express this

Ok any other examples of this on the wiki because if it's commonly accepted here than I can't exactly argue with it.

Although I still disagree with that being used because I think these calcs don't really understand how tiny 1 pixel actually is.

Ok any other examples of this on the wiki because if it's commonly accepted here than I can't exactly argue with it.
All I can really give you are some of my other accepted blogs that use since finding other peoples blogs right off hand for this is pretty hard, one because like I'm not gonna just remember any one elses blogs off hand especially when its not a verse I'm personally in but secondly, its the fact that in most cases you do have something to measure off of but I know for a fact I've evaluated a few blogs that used that method, if said thing did appear in 1px though we are inclined to use that one singular px. If it is that far away though that it doesn't appear at all then you have the right to use 0.5px

Although I still disagree with that being used because I think these calcs don't really understand how tiny 1 pixel actually is.
No one is underestimating how small one pixel is. The problem is one pixel is still visible in a picture, and in editing software where you can pixel scale (As you can zoom into every pixel in a picture in smth like paint.net). If the thing in question went so far into the distance that it's not even one pixel large, we just use half a pixel because it's smaller than a single picture in the photo. We don't base it off of "eyeballing". It's based on the fact the thing in question is literally smaller than a single pixel in the photo. Otherwise we would just use one pixel, yeah.

First why aren't we using 1px for the landmasses when 1px would also be invisible from space? I just don't get why it has to be 1/2 a px specifically when 1 should work fine.
You can still see one pixel even if it's tiny on the screen. This defeats the point regarding the island not being visible from space. This is why we use 1/2 pixel size
Why are we using S3@K for the size scaling instead of unleashed or SA2. Especially when S3@K is the least recent game of the three and has the worst ability to show images due to the console limitations of the time?
The calc for Angel Island came from Sonic 3&K so it was agreed that the Earth's size should be used from the same game as well

Back