• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The one punch man conundrum

Celestial_Pegasus

VS Battles
Administrator
Alright so at this point we are using composite version for one punch man characters until contradicted.In episode 12 of the anime boros said he was destroy the planet while in the manga he only said he was gonna destroy the surface of the planet.Now which version do we use if we accept the anime then boros should be upgraded to planet level along with saitama.

Boros 1
Boros 2

Celestial Pegasus said:
Alright so at this point we are using composite version for one punch man characters until contradicted.In episode 12 of the anime boros said he was destroy the planet while in the manga he only said he was gonna destroy the surface of the planet.Now which version do we use if we accept the anime then boros should be upgraded to planet level along with saitama.
I'm going for manga

Web comic (Primary canon) Supports the anime which is also what the manga itself is based on so yeah i do believe he's planet lvl

CHILLVIBEZZ said:
Web comic (Primary canon) Supports the anime which is also what the manga itself is based on so yeah i do believe he's planet lvl
In the webcomic it was never stated what his attack would do if i remember correctly he just said planet buster roar cannon which the correct translation is collapsing star cannon same as in the anime.

Celestial Pegasus said:
CHILLVIBEZZ said:
In the webcomic it was never stated what his attack would do if i remember correctly he just said planet buster roar cannon which the correct translation is collapsing star cannon same as in the anime.
You got scans?

So basically his intention was never to destroy the planets surface but saitama and his attacks name is planet lvl i see.

So as you can see boros didnt say he was gonna destroy the planet just that he was gonna erase saitama off the face of the planet

So basically, the problem here is that we have three different intentions for the attack.

Webcomic: Unknown

Manga: Multi-Continent level

Anime: Planet level

Correct?

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
So basically, the problem here is that we have three different intentions for the attack.
Webcomic: Unknown

Manga: Multi-Continent level

Anime: Planet level

Correct?
Yea

TOO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM DAMMIT!

But, in all seriousness, I don't see why we don't consider the Web Comic as cannon since it's the SOURCE material, either way, I'm happy with whatever we choose, I don't want to use the anime because we'll have to use the combinations of both the Manga and the Anime when it could possibly be ending only at one season. I think we should take into account the Web comic and Manga as cannon. Main reason being: ONE's comic is ahead by quite a large margin and if we see anything that puts him well above his current feats but have to wait months maybe even a year after for it to be considered "cannon".

I've been meaning to ask this. Didn't the tentacle telekenetic guy subject Saitama to the gravity pressure of a black hole? He didn't outright say that but why else would he start talking about a black hole. Just wanted to see if others caught that.

Shock97 said:
I've been meaning to ask this. Didn't the tentacle telekenetic guy subject Saitama to the gravity pressure of a black hole? He didn't outright say that but why else would he start talking about a black hole. Just wanted to see if others caught that.
Boosting. The Tentacle guy was characterized as being quite dumb and full of himself. And it can't be a black hole because:

• 1 It would be an outlier
  • 2 The rest of the ship was fine. Hell, even the light of the monitors were still on, proving it doesn't abosrb light. If it was a black hole, it would destroy everything around it.

MafiaFox said:
TOO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM DAMMIT!
But, in all seriousness, I don't see why we don't consider the Web Comic as cannon since it's the SOURCE material, either way, I'm happy with whatever we choose, I don't want to use the anime because we'll have to use the combinations of both the Manga and the Anime when it could possibly be ending only at one season. I think we should take into account the Web comic and Manga as cannon. Main reason being: ONE's comic is ahead by quite a large margin and if we see anything that puts him well above his current feats but have to wait months maybe even a year after for it to be considered "cannon".

I am ok with any decision as well but i would only consider the wecomic has canon.The webcomic is the source material and the manga adds and clearifies stuff and the anime even more so.I am just from the scans i posted you can see that the boros feat got more and more impressive at first there was no confirmation on what his attack would do then it became able to wipe out earths surface and now its planet level from that you could say the anime is the finished product so we either take the anime into account or disregard it and the manga and take the source material as primary canon.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Shock97 said:
Boosting. The Tentacle guy was characterized as being quite dumb and full of himself. And it can't be a black hole because:
  • 2 The rest of the ship was fine. Hell, even the light of the monitors were still on, proving it doesn't abosrb light. If it was a black hole, it would destroy everything around it.
he never specifically stated it was a black hole just the gravitational force of one, however I agree it's an outlier.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Shock97 said:
True, my points as well on the matter. Just surpirsed there wasn't a debate about that, or maybe there was and I missed it.

CHILLVIBEZZ said:
Given that the anime is overseen by ONE while the manga from what i know at least isnt OPM anime> OPM Manga btw
Well for the anime what was stated was that one and murata were brought him to give their input on the anime so you could be right but one from what i know oversees the manga too and also you have to remember the anime is an adaptation of the manga not the webcomic which was done by one without the manga there would be no anime.

@Celestial Pegasus

IIRC, Madhouse said they actually brought ONE and Murata in and had them read over the script to OK and change stuff. I'll try to find the interview, but that's very different than just being like, "Yeah, go ahead and make this. Do whatever."

@Celestial Pegasus
IIRC, Madhouse said they actually brought ONE and Murata in and had them read over the script to OK and change stuff. I'll try to find the interview, but that's very different than just being like, "Yeah, go ahead and make this. Do whatever."
Yea now i remember that being said sigh just makes this even more complicated

So from what i think they went over the script and decided to make the fight more intense by making boros threaten to destroy the planet so this is basically a retcon

Here is the direct quote from Shingo Natsume, who directs the anime.

"Tomohiro Suzuki is doing the script and the series composition. The author of the original manga, ONE, as well as Murata-Sensei sat in our production meetings. They shared their views from a manga standpoint and we shared ours and reworked the series composition as well as what volumes featured. They gave us a lot of input and their participation was very helpful."

Here is the direct quote from Shingo Natsume, who directs the anime.
"Tomohiro Suzuki is doing the script and the series composition. The author of the original manga, ONE, as well as Murata-Sensei sat in our production meetings. They shared their views from a manga standpoint and we shared ours and reworked the series composition as well as what volumes featured. They gave us a lot of input and their participation was very helpful."
Yea so this is basically what i initially thought each version of opm is an improvement and the anime is like the complete product

I'm also going to point out that we consider Kai to be canon for waaaaaaaaaaaay less than that, and it would be kind of a bad double standard to just flat out ignore OPM's anime.

I'm also going to point out that we consider Kai to be canon for waaaaaaaaaaaay less than that, and it would be kind of a bad double standard to just flat out ignore OPM's anime.
I agree with this

Do people seriously believe that ONE would tell the staff "Boros wasn't going to destroy the earth, just the surface, change that sh** right now"? (And I bet the staff didn't even ask about it)

Most likely, the planet busting thing was just a misinterpretation of the production staff.

They directly sat in on meetings and edited the script, though. Hell, if we can't even consider THIS canon, we might as go back and downgrade every DBZ character due to being upgraded from things that Toriyama did not directly 100% create.

Do what you want, but this clearly was a misinterpretation by the production staff. You have two primary sources telling you that he would destroy the surface at best, and one source that misinterpreted what Boros was going to do.

They directly sat in on meetings and edited the script, though. Hell, if we can't even consider THIS canon, we might as go back and downgrade every DBZ character due to being upgraded from things that Toriyama did not directly 100% create.
I agree it would be hipocritical to accept kai and not this either we accept both or neither

So if we don't consider this canon we should not only downgrade DBZ but other franchises as well right?

Celestial Pegasus said:
I agree with this
So do I.

Probably, yeah. Frankly, I'm not even sure why this is an issue. I can see arguments for and against said feats, but just going "lol anime's non canon" is absurd.

Wbaez93 said:
Do what you want, but this clearly was a misinterpretation by the production staff.
You have two primary sources telling you that he would destroy the surface at best, and one source that misinterpreted what Boros was going to do.
Can you prove it was a misrepresentation on the production staffs part?You cant and neither can we prove that one directly changed it but we know he was really involved in the anime so we have to take what was more likely to have happened rather than baseless assumptions.

Back