• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The one punch man conundrum

Wbaez93 said:
Do what you want, but this clearly was a misinterpretation by the production staff.
You have two primary sources telling you that he would destroy the surface at best, and one source that misinterpreted what Boros was going to do.
Why do you keep saying that as if you KNOW it was just misinterpretation? ONE could have easily just suggested to say Boros was a planet buster. They're not exactly uncommon in fiction.

Wbaez93 said:
You have two primary sources telling you that he would destroy the surface at best, and one source that misinterpreted what Boros was going to do.
One, not two. Only the manga suggests that, whereas the anime suggest Boros is going to bust the planet, and the webcomic suggests nothing (except planet level in name alone).

"Wiping someone off the face of the earth" is a phrase, but his move is called planet destroying cannon. You dont say" im going to destroy you off the face off the earth". I believe the manga misinterpreted the one comic originally.

In the one comic=??? difficult to tell (imo planet busting)

in the manga= planet surface destroying

in the anime= planet buster

Animefanman said:

This, really. In the webcomic, Boros is just sort of focused on murdering Saitama.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
Animefanman said:

This, really. In the webcomic, Boros is just sort of focused on murdering Saitama.
With him saying: "I'll wipe you off the face of the earth" due to that being a phrase, do you think it could have been mistranslated from the comic ----> manga and he put it as "I'll destroy you along with the surface of the earth"?

MafiaFox said:
Animefanman said:

With him saying: "I'll wipe you off the face of the earth" due to that being a phrase, do you think it could have been mistranslated from the comic ----> manga and he put it as "I'll destroy you along with the surface of the earth"?
Could be that would make sense

MafiaFox said:
Heavily possible, as "wipe you off the face/surface of the earth" is just another phrase for killing someone.

MafiaFox said:
Heavily possible, as "wipe you off the face/surface of the earth" is just another phrase for killing someone.
So this should be a pretty big upgrade from: Multi-continental---->Planet

MafiaFox said:
Animefanman said:

I think in the comic it was intended to destroy the planet. But thats just my opinion, in the anime it was planet busting, in the manga surface wiping level most likely.

The Everlasting said:
Wbaez93 said:
Do what you want, but this clearly was a misinterpretation by the production staff.
Why do you keep saying that as if you KNOW it was just misinterpretation? ONE could have easily just suggested to say Boros was a planet buster. They're not exactly uncommon in fiction.
As he neither did, and it's just a misinterpretation. Nor you nor I can prove that ONE suggested that change or that the staff misinterpret it.

That he sat down with the staff production tells me nothing.

"Tomohiro Suzuki is doing the script and the series composition. The author of the original manga, ONE, as well as Murata-Sensei sat in our production meetings. They shared their views from a manga standpoint and we shared ours and reworked the series composition as well as what volumes featured. They gave us a lot of input and their participation was very helpful."

Nothing there says that they (ONE and Murata) overseen the script thoughtfully.

As it is stated there, they just gave their input and were "helpful". But it was "Tomohiro Suzuki" who did the script.

Wbaez93 said:
One, not two. Only the manga suggests that, whereas the anime suggest Boros is going to bust the planet, and the webcomic suggests nothing (except planet level in name alone).
Worse then. None of these sources hint at a planet level attack.

Not to barge in on anything important, but if this counts as canon, would that mean that we'll count video games, adaptions or spin offs that had overview/ help from the original author as canon, unless stated otherwise?

SomebodyStupid said:
Not to barge in on anything important, but if this counts as canon, would that mean that we'll count video games, adaptions or spin offs that had overview/ help from the original author as canon, unless stated otherwise?
Depends on how involved the original author(s) was/were.

No one knows, Imo just leave boros at multi continet, i hope this episode showed you that his regen and ability to kick people into space is actually his strong factors to consider when used in vs battles.

SomebodyStupid said:
Dragon Ball Xenoverse canon...

P.S.: I would like Saitama to get upgraded, but not like this.

Wbaez93 said:
Dragon Ball Xenoverse canon...

P.S.: I would like Saitama to get upgraded, but not like this.
Xenoverse is a game with little to no direct involvement from Toriyama that also contradicts actual canon in a great number of ways.

That is absurdly different than an anime directly overseen by the original creator that barely, if at all, contradicts the loosely established canon.

GTgokussj4 said:
Dragon Ball Kai was made to be faith full to the manga according to thisinterview.
Yes, but it wasn't entirely, and yet we still consider it canon and gave characters major upgrades because of it.

I feel it's genuinely unfair to call that canon but ignore another anime that had direct involvement from the creator of the original intellectual property, which Kai didn't.

Yes, but it wasn't entirely, and yet we still consider it canon and gave characters major upgrades because of it.

I feel it's genuinely unfair to call that canon but ignore another anime that had direct involvement from the creator of the original intellectual property, which Kai didn't.
I now agree because of this ^

GTgokussj4 said:
Dragon Ball Kai was made to be faith full to the manga according to thisinterview.
^100% agree

GTgokussj4 said:
I agree

The only reason anyone in DBZ is 4-A is because of that.

Exactly if this is supposed to be a reference to piccolos Ki blast we'll I'm pretty sure that's because of later characters despite using Fullpower displaying nothing near this for a while

GTgokussj4 said:
Thats true i just posted the interview as a backup for the Dragon Ball Kai stuff, also Tornado of Terror meteor feat should be considered since it was in the anime as well.

GTgokussj4 said:
Thats true i just posted the interview as a backup for the Dragon Ball Kai stuff, also Tornado of Terror meteor feat should be considered since it was in the anime as well.
Indeed. And 6-A Tatsumaki isn't out of the question, as she's casually 6-C, and if 5-B Saitama, Boros, and Garou are accepted, they'd still be way beyond her, anyway.

GTgokussj4 said:
Kai = meant to be faithful to the manga + scenes of it used in Super (which is canon) > Canon

OPM Anime = "reworked" version with just the input and standpoint of the creator > You know what that is.

The only reason Kai was accepted as canon was due to the scenes that appeared in Super.

Wbaez93 said:
Kai = meant to be faithful to the manga + scenes of it used in Super (which is canon) > Canon

OPM Anime = "reworked" version with just the input and standpoint of the creator > You know what that is.

The only reason Kai was accepted as canon was due to the scenes that appeared in Super.
Yes, but Kai still wasn't worked on by Toriyama. You can't argue "Kai is canon because there was a flashback to a scene that was originally filler in Super" while saying "OPM's anime isn't canon because at one point Boros said something slightly different".

Wbaez93 said:
GTgokussj4 said:

I agree. Kai was ignored for quite some time with info that supported the anime being canon already existing, and was only accepted once we saw scenes of Kai in Super.

Wbaez93 said:

Yes, but Kai still wasn't worked on by Toriyama. You can't argue "Kai is canon because there was a flashback to a scene that was originally filler in Super" while saying "OPM's anime isn't canon because at one point Boros said something slightly different".
Doesn't matter, really. The primary canon references it, that's the only thing that matters, and that's why it was accepted as canon. Not because Toriyama worked or not on it.

And slightly different? It's completely different (from surface busting to planet busting.)

Wbaez93 said:
And slightly different? It's completely different (from surface busting to planet busting.)
He literally says one line differently. That's it. It's not like he says "I'm going to blow up the universe!"

He just talks about blowing up the planet as opposed to the surface of the planet, which was likely the original intent, anyway.

Oh, and yes, the creator of the intellectual property does indeed have a large part to play in what's canon.

Wbaez93 said:
He literally says one line differently. That's it. It's not like he says "I'm going to blow up the universe!"
He just talks about blowing up the planet as opposed to the surface of the planet, which was likely the original intent, anyway.

Oh, and yes, the creator of the intellectual property does indeed have a large part to play in what's canon.
Sorry, I didn't read well your message.

It isn't canon because you aren't proving that 'ONE' indeed oversaw the script of the anime thoughtfully. The info you brought only talks about ONE and Murata giving their input and nothing else.

It even says that it's a reworked version and that someone else is doing the script.

If you have anything else that states otherwise, please show it, because as I said earlier, the info you brought says nothing.

Wbaez93 said:
Wbaez93 said:

Sorry, I didn't read well your message.
It isn't canon because you aren't proving that 'ONE' indeed oversaw the script of the anime thoughtfully. The info you brought only talks about ONE and Murata giving their input and nothing else.

It even says that it's a reworked version and that someone else is doing the script.

If you have anything else that states otherwise, please show it, because as I said earlier, the info you brought says nothing.
My main problem is that if Murata mis-interpreted: "I'll wipe you off the face of the earth!" which is a common phrase for killing someone and put it as: "I'll wipe you along with this planets surface" which could be some sort of translation error or something of the sort.

How does that info prove nothing? It literally says they came and sat in on production meeting, even "discussing their views from a manga standpoint". That's a lot more solid evidence to use it than "Boros said one line differently" is against it.

How does that info prove nothing? It literally says they came and sat in on production meeting, even "discussing their views from a manga standpoint". That's a lot more solid evidence to use it than "Boros said one line differently" is against it.
Giving input/standpoint =/= overseeing a script. Nothing there hints at that.

If you have another source stating otherwise, I will step aside

Wbaez93 said:

It's in the quote.

"They shared their views from a manga standpoint and we shared ours and reworked the series compositio as well as what volumes featured."

Wbaez93 said:

It's in the quote.
"They shared their views from a manga standpoint and we shared ours and reworked the series compositio as well as what volumes featured."
I interpret that as that they (the staff production), reworked the series by themselves after hearing what ONE and Murata had to say, not because they supervised them.

Anyway, it's not like my opinion would change anything.

I interpret it more as them reworking based on suggestions made by ONE and Murata, and coming to conclusions in the actual meeting, otherwise they wouldn't be able to get any input back.

Then again, there are both just interpretations, after all.

Back