• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One-Punch Man: Boros Speed Upgrade

Im gonna bore
SEM46iG.png

i honestly don't get this, if he was mach 5000 he would be statuing the entire earth and those falling rocks wouldn't even be falling but floating around since at those speeds events occuring in a single second would occur over the course of sevral hours because his subjective time would just be that good

been years since i watched the anime but i do remember that their surroundings weren't literally frozen metro man style due to their super speed

I have a couple issues with this, writing up my analysis later today.

i honestly don't get this, if he was mach 5000 he would be statuing the entire earth and those falling rocks wouldn't even be falling but floating around since at those speeds events occuring in a single second would occur over the course of sevral hours because his subjective time would just be that good
That's what happened.
been years since i watched the anime but i do remember that their surroundings weren't literally frozen metro style due to their super speed
The anime is treated as separate from the manga's continuity on this website, but even the anime agrees with the interpretation in the calc somewhat.

The anime is treated as separate from the manga's continuity on this website, but even the anime agrees with the interpretation in the calc somewhat.
...do you not see the god damn dust/smoke/whatever that thing is clouds moving at regular speed?

which part in this screams "super slow mo animation" and "super fast statuing the earth characters"

if anything it just looks like the pillar wasn't damaged

edit: it also convenientely cuts at the part where some rocks were seen falling to the ground lol

imma check the fight in a bit

so yeah i just checked, the rocks wre falling quite a bit slower but not mach 5000 slower, that level of speed can be acheived by any hypersonic to hypersonic+ character

mach 5000 is pushing it lmao

Okay, so here are the three issues as I see them:

1) There isn't any real basis for using "snail speed" here. Here's what the relevant part of our Calculations page says:

Sometimes even something like "time seems frozen" or that nothing moves is stated. Often these kinds of statements are hyperbole. However, should that not be the case one may assume that the apparent speed of the reference object is less than or equal to 0.00275 m/s, as that's the top speed of garden snails, animals that move so slowly that they appear to be nearly frozen in our perspective.

There is no statement of the rubble being frozen relative to Boros, and we can't really judge such a thing from a static manga panel unless it is over an extended sequence.

2) The speed that is being used for the rubble that is "frozen" is highly questionable:

4Mf69Vq.png

This velocity of 59.34 m/s that has been calculated is the end velocity of the falling rubble after starting from a position of 0 m/s velocity and falling down 179.55 meters.

How was this value of 179.55 meters found? Well, it's the distance from the POV of this panel down to the ground / floor:

Rock_Height_PX.png

In other words this is the speed that the freefalling rubble would have... when it reaches the floor.

So why is this speed being used for rubble that is in front of Saitama here, a considerable distance above the floor? The rubble would need to fall a lot further than where it is to reach the speed that has been calced.

3) The aforementioned POV shot getting the distance from the POV of the panel to the ground/floor is from a perspective that is well above the crater in the pillar that Saitama was punched into and from which the rubble is falling... So even if this distance were to be used somehow, it's not even taken from the starting point of where the rubble would be falling from which completely negates using it in a freefall calc for that rubble.

So never mind the fact that "snail speed" is highly questionable here as an assumption, the speed of the rubble that has been calced has a couple of glaring issues with it.

Those are the problems as I see it. @Qawsedf234

To me tye big issue would be the speed of the rocks. If they didn't reach peak acceleration when they were frozen then the basis of the calc is off.

The frozen thing I'm more willing to be lenient on since you have stuff like the foot explosion later on, so the intention was for it to be quick imo. Though that probably doesn't justify 0.002 m/s quick.

Back