• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Legend of Zelda General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A general Zelda thread? Very nice.

Heres a fun little easter egg, Majora sings the Death Mountain theme from the origial NES Legend of Zelda game during his boss fight.

About time someone made this.

Here's a question what is your favorite LOZ game, and your favorite spin off?

Also what games have you played?

MM is absolutely my favorite game in general. Second one would be OoT, and third ALTTP/ALBW. From there on they are all pretty much on the same level the ones I played (except Triforce Heroes)

A Link to the Past was not only my favorite Zelda game but my favorite game of all time for years, but then Breath of the Wild came to rival it. Now it's conflicting which one's #1, they pretty much tie now. As for favorite spin off, I would say Four Swords, but I guess if they're part of the Zelda timeline, that they aren't really spinoffs? I'm also guessing crossovers don't count. Hyrule Warriors is quite fun, and although, I never played them, the Tingle games look really good surprisingly.

And I've played every single Canon Zelda game by the looks of it, as well as a few spin offs like Hyrule Warriors. Again, haven't played the Tingle games, Link's Crossbow Training, or the Game and Watch games. Although, I have sadly played Wand of Gamelon, but oh hell no, let's not talk about the CDI games.

I've played OoS, TP, ALTTP, PH, SS, ALBW, and MM. Though I do own OOT 3ds and Tri Force heroes I haven't played them. I also want BOtW but I don't have a Switch.

I've played the most out of SS and TP, and I enjoyed the latter most of all. Yhough I did enjoy PH and didn't really mind having to go back to the temple of the Ocean King.

As for my favorite Spin off it's definrtely Hyrule Warriors Legends I've played so much out of that game and I still have tons left to do in it, and I actually enjoy that fact.

Also can we all agree the CDI games were the worst LoZ games ever and should never be mentioned by name.

Phoenix821 said:
I've played OoS, TP, ALTTP, PH, SS, ALBW, and MM. Though I do own OOT 3ds and Tri Force heroes I haven't played them. I also want BOtW but I don't have a Switch.

I've played the most out of SS and TP, and I enjoyed the latter most of all. Yhough I did enjoy PH and didn't really mind having to go back to the temple of the Ocean King.

As for my favorite Spin off it's definrtely Hyrule Warriors Legends I've played so much out of that game and I still have tons left to do in it, and I actually enjoy that fact.
Fixed it

If I had to pick between A link to the past, Wind waker and Twilight princess (since these are my faves), I'f Go with Twilight princess, for having good combat, and lots of interesting dungeons.

My least favorite Zelda is probably Phantom Hourglass though, that game was garbage of a Zelda game.

Favorite 3-D Zelda: MM and BotW. I genuinely can't pick. Majora's Mask has had a much larger impact on me from a stylistic and storytelling standpoint, though.

Favorite 2-D Zelda: ALttP was probably in the top spot, but it was knocked down a while back by ALBW, which played a lot like ALttP+. I also have a soft spot for Minish Cap.

Favorite spin off: I...don't know? Does Four Swords count? The rest don't really stand out, in my mind.

All Zelda games are awesome, even the DS ones, and Adventure of Link as well. And don't get me wrong, I love Ocarina of Time, but that one's kinda overrated IMO. I get that it's the perfect 2D to 3D jump done right, but that's pretty much the only reason people considered it the best. But Ocarina was way too easy for me, even doing a 3 heart challenge didn't stop the game from being easy.

I have a tendency to prefer 2D over 3D overall; they tend to have better challenge for sure. that's why I love ALttP so much and the Oracle games were also Master Pieces. Try playing any Zelda game with 3 hearts, and all the 2D Zelda games, especially the first Zelda, Breath of the Wild, or Skyward Sword with 6 hearts, and you get some really hardcore games. Ocarina, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Minish Cap with three hearts still have really easy boss fights.

Well, I do too, at least on 1st or 2nd playthroughs. But after playing and beating a game multiple times, I need a better challenge sometimes. Though, Breath of the Wild or Zelda 1, I'm never gonna beat with just 3 hearts. Like seriously, go to Calamity Ganon, with three hearts, in your boxer shorts, and nothing but sticks for weapons. Than that is one tough shit to deal with.

It's very impressive that you can do that. I don't think I could do that, the urge to collect 100% is to powerful and it's something I enjoy doing.

In terms of 3-D Zelda I often flip flop between Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, and Breath of the Wild.

The Wind Waker has a great sense of adventure about it that no other Zelda game barring maybe Breath of the Wild captures for me and has some of my favourite dungeons and bosses, Majora's Mask had my favourite story and atmosphere in any Zelda game along with NPCS I actually cared about helping and saving, and Breath of the Wild is just so flexible in how I can play it and has my favourite version of Hyrule to wander around and explore.

For 2-D Zelda games it's A Link to the Past (Which is also flat out my favourite Zelda game). I love the dungeons, the Light World and Dark World mechanics, the sheer amount of versatility I have with all those items and spells, and man do I love speed running it.

For spin offs there's only like, three, so I guess Four Swords Adventures would be my favourite, the multiplier can get really competitive and hectic and I love screwing over my friends.

Well, it's possible there's a 4th Timeline out there; Cal mentioned it on another thread. But with all seriousness, Downfall Timeline seems to have the strongest connections; the possibility of a 2nd Downfall timeline is another possibility. Good old MatPat has more details

It can't be the Child Timeline because the final battle of Ocarina of Time has canonically happened (See the various stone tablets about the Zoras history) so that only leaves the Adult and Downfall Timelines, and given that Death Mountain isn't almost completey submerged in water and the various races are aware of Hyrules History which many people in the Adult Timeline are not, I believe it's in the Downfall Timeline.

Even more slightly off topic, "Downfall timeline" is a weird name, considering Ganon still loses. This is probably also due to the fact that now that BotW exists, we see something a lot more fitting of having "Downfall" in its title.

That, and the geography is very reminiscent of A Link to the Past's. There's also the fact that Ganon is 100% Beast form, which was something Ganon officially wished for after obtaining the complete Triforce according to Hyrule Historia. But it technically has connections to all three timelines.

@Dust

As we know in MM, his legend was still passed down.

The reason Ganondorf was "executed" in the first place was because they knew what would happen if he was left alive.

Yeah, I think it's in the child Timeline.

A thing I always don't understand.

How can we scale bomb from a boat to bomb of hundreds of years ago/later or even of other timeline?

Because the boat bombs are the same ones Link uses in his adventures.

And the second one I don't know, but currently no one scales from bombs.

Favorite Zelda:

Without a doubt Majora's Mask. No game in the franchise comes close to the emotions and sensations that I felt when playing that game. I can't accurately describe in words what this game means to me, and so I won't.

Least Favorite Zelda:

While this may come to a shock to most people. A Link to the Past is definitely the worst Zelda game for me. This game is lauded to kingdom come as not just one of the best Zelda games, but one of the games of all time. It even visible within this very thread. And I believed in the hype, like why wouldn't I? Everyone loves this game. So when I realized I had the money--I bought from the Wii U e-shop. It started out fine, but then I noticed annoying aspects of the game that never went away the longer I played it, and most of them come from reasons people praise this game. Some of those aspects are:

• Numerous cracked walls that aren't bombable
  • Enemies that drift pass your attack range to hit you, and when you get hit--you become intangible for a few seconds--and your enemies use that time to enter your body, and it becomes impossible to escape being attacked by them, usually ending in a game over from the amount of health that is taken by a single hit.
  • The ****** up Z-axis in this game. Birds that are flying above you still somehow hit you even though they shouldn't. There was also this green area before a dungeon that I didn't know was above me vertically, so I could walk under it, so I spent hours trying to find out what to before seeing an enemy walk under the green moss stuff. So yeah, wasting my time was really annoying.
  • Always restarting from the same place after dying ruins progression.
  • The map in this game is just awful, it doesn't tell you anything. An area that looks passable on the map is actually covered up by a tree in the game
  • For a game that gets praise for its ability of "sticking to Zelda's roots" in that it's non-linear, it has the most linearly designed place in almost all of Zelda. The Dark World. There is almost one route to go everywhere, any faster alternative roots that were present in the Light World, are blocked off with trees. There is even a place with an arrow drawn in the ground telling you where to go after acquiring the Hookshot.
  • Even though people criticise Ocarina of Time's two-worlds mechanic forcing you to return to the Temple of Time, and praise that A Link to the Past's two-worlds mechanic was attainable by just pressing a button are simply lying. yes, you can go from the Light World to the Dark World in a press of a button, but you can't do the opposite, you must go to one of the few blue pad things to switch back to the Light World, which kind of defeats the purpose of giving you the option to change the world your in. Let me demonstrate, you are walking to a specific location in the Light World, and there happens to be a tree in your path, you know from prior experience that the tree doesn't exist in the Dark World, so you switch over to the Dark World to pass on, but your destination is in the Light World, so you try an press the button again, but it doesn't switch you back, so know you realized you wasted your time, and need to find an alternate way of passing.
  • The music I hear people praise the game for is also extremely lackluster. There are few pieces even in the game and most aren't really very good, there is only one that I would consider good--That the Sanctuary theme by the way.

There are a few other problems that I can't even remember, as it has been like 2-3 years since I played the game. But all the things that I mention: aggravating gameplay, lackluster music, atrocious game design, and a legion of fans more devout and numerous than any religion known to mankind singing about the game's greatness. All of this led to me developing headaches within minutes of playing and effectively ruined my mood for the day. I had to force myself to complete it 100%, and I will never play the game again. There are only two things I can praise the game for:

1. It set the foundations for future, better, Zelda games to improve upon.

2. It was way better than Super Metroid, which I played right after. God, I hate that game with a fiery passion.

Oh, and Best 2-D Zelda game is the Minish Cap without a doubt.

I liked every single Zelda game except for the ones that aren't Zelda games at all, like the three we don't talk about. Let's just refer to those as the YouTube Poop memes. Every other Zelda game is spectacular and more than half of them are straight up Master Pieces.

The Four Sword games are the only Zelda games I haven't gotten close to completing (that and Oracle of Seasons, but because I got close with Ages, I'm counting it ovo).

Oh, and Zelda II.

Btw, Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda game, being my second favorite game of all time behind Chrono Trigger. Dungeons were just hard enough, but not too hard (**** you, Shadow Temple). Midna's such a good character, being better than debatably any other character in the series, her only real competition existing in BotW. Zant's interesting enough, and the wolf mechanic isn't half bad, even though being Hylian is still infinitely better.

Worst, probably Four Swords, due to being unplayable without 4 people. At least with Zelda II, I can attempt to have a good time, and I like the Temple music (plus, the names of the towns are the names of the OoT sages, and it introduced the Triforce of Courage and the True Force).

Twilight Princess is really phenomenal and so are many other Zeldas, but it has some of my same problems with Ocarina of Time. While the Puzzles are great and clever; and yes, Midna is an awesome character, the boss fights were on the easy side. Also, I wasn't a big fan of Zant; he seems kinda generic as a fantasy villain. And he acted like a complete idiot throughout the entire boss fight. And while I love Dark themes, the dark themes in Twilight Princess were in a rather traditional way where as Majora's Mask was dark in a mysteriously unique way.

Speaking of Chrono Trigger, that was my 2nd favorite game of all time back when ALttP was clear cut for #1, but BotW came out to tie for #1 making CT technically #3. Though, I like my general top 10 lists to be 1 per franchise, which makes it even harder. Whatever I choose, Chrono Trigger isn't going lower than #2.

I don't recall much about the difficulty but I do remember the boss battles were quite spectacular. Special mention for me was against Agorok (spelling?), especially when he took it to the sky and dueled the giant evil dragon during the thunderstorm midair. It was awesome!

Never played the CD-I games, I know them from the memes and the AVGN.

And yeah, Twilight Princess is also my favorite.

CT was such an amazing game as well. The plot was so well put together and loved how sidequests expanded the lore aside of giving you extra stuff.

Gonna get BotW when I save enough to get myself a Switch

I mean, they aren't the easiest bosses, not quite as easy as Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Minish Cap, or Ocarina of Time's bosses. And it should be noted that the Wii version was significantly easier than the Gamecube versions for some reason. Argorok was a really fun boss for sure, and the 4 phase battle with Ganon is one of the best Ganon/Ganondorf fights. Though Calamity Ganon with no Guardian power ups is the best Ganon boss fight.

And oh yeah, AVGN is awesome. As for the CDI games Playing these games is as worth while as melting a dog turd on a frying pan. Yeah! Put some buffalo puke and some cat piss all over it, and you got a shit sandwich that is Zelda CDI! This game ******* SUCKS! (Window Crash), ******* SUCKS! (Window Crash), ******* SUCKS! (Window Crash). And the Mario game? That one sucks ass too! (Window Crash) CDI SUCKS!!! (Unplugs console and Crashes through window) AVGN.

@DarkDragonMedeus: Majora's Mask... one of the titles I missed. Never got the chance to play it, but really want to. It's also one of the few Zelda games I barely have spoilers of, so it would be a surprise in most ways. Same happened with Skyward sword, only my Wii broke down while I was starting that one.

I can see your point with Zant, many felt disappointed with how he turned out to be some sort of petty lunatic in the end, though I also can see why you feel he was too by the numbers before the reveal of his true self. Perhaps the Hyrule Warriors approach was a good balance? Make him quirky and eccentric in some ways, but show that he's quite capable and serious as well. I mean, you see him being crazy and all during gameplay, while in story proper you see him being pretty no-nonsense during his feud with Midna.

Perhaps the Wii version was easier to make up for the non-traditional controls? Just a guess, though.

And just as a side thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDBfNTf4ORYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDBfNTf4ORY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back