• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye.

I was wondering what Old Ones would classify as but from this, Sharnoth’s VFR story, and Gahkthun (when Keziah was talking about Tesla’s existence), this seems to be all of what an Old One is defined...according to my findings.

Yea pretty interesting.

Humans in the past didn't understand how the world work, so they dream up things such as fairies and spirits to explain things.

But with the advent of science, those things that seemed supernatural, got explanations, so their is no room for fantasies anymore.

Would be Abstract Existence Type 1 of a Type 4 Concept. Assuming all Old Ones are created through the collective perception of humans.

I forgot to bring this up but since I took it upon myself to post yet another bit of info about Old Ones, even Valusia has a term to tell of what they are. I can't recall if Sharnoth VN ever got into detail about it but I do remember something about them leaving Sharnoth when they found out about the "light of civilization" thing. Didn't bother to do it at the time either since I didn't try to look into it.

《ふるきもの》
あたたかなもの。遍く、世に充ちるもの。
世界に充ちる自然の顕現であり、無数の化身であり、現在ではかたちのないもの。
誰もそれを目にしたことはなく、彼らは遙か古代に体を失い、今はその残滓が声となって一部の《盟約》ある人々の耳に届くのだという。
砂漠の《盟約》の中心に位置する存在。
異邦人の碩学(学者)たちは「自然霊」「精霊」「古き神々」などと呼称し研究を行っているが、ヴァルーシア人にとって《ふるきもの》は《ふるきもの》であり、それ以外の何者でもない。ヴァルーシアの人々も、異形種の人々も、どちらも“神”という概念を持たないのである。
異形種は、人よりも《ふるきもの》に近い存在であり、尊い存在である──と太守ハールートは都市の人々へ公言している。

《Old Ones》
Warm things that filled the world everywhere.
They are manifestations of nature that filled the world, countless incarnations that are now formless.
They were disembodied in ancient times, and now remnants of their voice can only be heard by those part of a《Covanent》.
They are located in the center of the《Covanents》 desert.
Gentile Scholars have called them "Nature Spirits", "Spirits", "Old Gods", and so forth, and have come to study them. But to the Valusians, 《Old Ones》are《Old Ones》and nothing else. Neither the Valusians nor the Fantasy races have any concept of "God".
Fantasy races are closer to《Old Ones》than normal humans, and are precious beings──that is what viceroy Harut proposed to the people of the city.

-Source: Valusia Glossary (Official Blog)

@Celestial_Pegasus It's pretty realistic considering it does show how humanity IRL has gone from telling about myths and legends to explain stuff in the world to using science to do so instead. That gives me the impression of what "light of civilization" is referring to. It's sad for beings like this to be gone, but that is how the world works.

@RM97 This is all I got if you wanted more info.

Last edited:
Thinking this over, I can see why the Black King's existence is incomparable to that of the Old Ones.

I think it probably helps in BK's favour that he represents the trait of the universe that is all of darkness. Same thing for Edison who, after he ate Yog, he became the trait of the universe that is all of space-time...I think. There is the Jet Black they both have, but I still focus on the bit that makes Edison different from M.

Still, this does make Tesla pretty insane in his own way of trying to stop them in the past. Edison I get. IDK about M but I suspect being both a member of the Society + an Outer God may something to do with whatever kind of encounter they had in the past.

M is the king of the Old Ones, but yea his existence is different, he is an illusion that does have effect on reality and doesn't just vanish from existence due to light of civilization like the others.

That makes him scary cause at least with the others they had a weakness, ppl could forget them and they vanish, but with M doesn't matter wherever there is darkness he can exist and whenever he feels like it universes get destroyed.

It does.

It also gives an amusing thought when you put it that way. In Sharnoth's WN, it was mentioned that the Society has been able to kill a few Old Ones in the past although this can be attributed to them using Green Stones which Moran, Berta and Jo have demonstrated that it can harm and kill fantasy beings like the Meta=Critters in London (Moran) or even Tesla (Berta and Jo) whose existence is that of an Old One/Illusion after making contact with the Thunderbird, yet M gave no F's about it against a small army of peeps wielding steam guns embedded all over it.

Obviously, he's much stronger than anything in Steampunks technology would try to use against him, but it could also be said that what would kill fantasy beings like Old Ones (through the Green Stone or some such if any) don't seem that much of a threat to something like M himself.

So IDK how images would work on this forum so I decided to just upload images for the Messengers of the Underground New York in Sona Nyl when the VN finally drops.

Took a long time to figure out which is who as I had to use a Japanese wiki to tell me the details of each but I got them all.

An interesting thing I found today about Messengers is the meaning of their name, and I got this from watching a video about how creepy the Angels actually are described in the Bible lol. (video linked here if you're curious)

Long story short, the word "angel" comes from the Greek word "angelos" (ἄγγελος), which in turn comes from the Hebrew word of "malʼākh" which roughly translates as "messenger". I wasn't sure where exactly Mangagamer used the word "Messenger" for on their official site but having watched that and looking at how《御使い》can mean messenger tells me they're using the name that angel is derived from. Hence calling them as "messengers".

As for the names of the beings in this VN, those are the locations Lily and A encounter, with the last one being quite a spoiler that I won't talk about.

Last edited:
Was wondering what was up with the angels being translated as messengers, neat detail.

Still no update on the release date, hoping for details next week.

Same. 《御使い》can still mean Angel so it isn't wrong to call them that either. The issue now is just having to get used to its origin name as Messengers lol.

It's also rather fitting in its own twisted way, really. Edison is a God in Steampunk, and the Messengers are his creation as a side effect to the Phenomena Equation Experiment in NY which we'll see just how nasty they are really when it drops.

Oof. Still hoping it releases within this year.

Yo guys. Do we know the size of Gahkthun? I remember that it was called "a huge city", I remember about a population of 100,000 people, but that's all. Perhaps there was some time frame in the game (for example, the time of travel by transport from point A to point B, since we have a map). Or maybe somebody did the calculations according to the CG/backgrounds?

Also 1: Not so long ago I decided to refresh my memory and re-read the "new phase" of Demonbane (DYN manga, some tweets, etc.). I was very amused by the large number of references to WaB. For example, there is a slightly modified speech of Astea (applaud! applaud!), mentions of Gahkthun, Bertha, Douglas (+ his organization), and so on. Moreover, one of the DYN characters is literally a member of Douglas' organization, lol.

Haganea also tweeted that Douglas is alive because he was saved by the ninja leader (Dark Buddha). At the same time, Haganea did not answer the question of whether the Dark Buddha fought with Edison.

Also 2: @Qliphoth_Bacikal, do you have any plans to translate Ulthar as well (Door to the Moon World)? I decided to find out a little about it just the other day, it seems this is something quite interesting, I hope this will shed at least a little light on the lore of Ulthar.

@Zereer

None that I recall of there being a size of it. What you said is all we know of Marseille Academia (big city, population of 100k people, several structures like the Tower of d'If, etc.) but no given size.

What RM97 linked is an outline of the entire island itself, which should definitely be bigger than the IRL island off the coast of Marseille cuz I doubt it can fit that many people let alone have enough land to function as a city.

And kek, I was wondering why @wiki mentioned that on Douglas' page. Given his tweets and such, it wouldn't surprise me if Hagenaya had been that involved to include so many references, especially with Gahkthun and Douglas. And aye, I saw that tweet too. Interestingly enough, he did bring up that the Dark Buddha is allied with Mh'ithrha whose seemingly the lord of all Tindalos as well as their strongest member (strong enough to fight with Yog Sothoth, as a matter of fact) although Mh'ithrha sounds like some Expanded Mythos character or something. Then again, Hastur is mentioned in the Ulthar book I got in the glossary so I'm not surprised if Sakurai just went all in with including even characters from the Expanded Circle of the Mythos.

That and something about the Yoga Stupa being beyond time and space, but like with Edison and Dark Buddha, he didn't get much into it.

Speaking of Ulthar, I do plan to TL the book I have of it which includes a sneakpeak view of what the setting is like only because it's technically canon since it appears briefly in Lily's Dream Walk portions. That and the ruby text name when Kyrie and even Thanatos use their laser weapons is named Shaikorth which could be a nod or some such but could tell us Ulthar is present in the WAB verse.

So, do you guys remember this image?

57lm1by.jpeg

Never seen anyone posted here before though, but I have seen this on google myself.

only because of Edison did I ever had to see such an art. And M too lol. Didn’t notice him there until now xD

Never seen anyone posted here before though, but I have seen this on google myself.

only because of Edison did I ever had to see such an art. And M too lol. Didn’t notice him there until now xD
Yeah well here's the thing,

a) It's not a Fanart. It's a legitimate art from......... the final volume of "Nyaruko San" novel.

b) The context behind the picture (from what I found by machine translating the last few pages of the volume) is that an antagonist wants to defeat Nyaruko San. However, the space time was erased and Nyaruko, MC, and the Antag was floating in an infinite jet-black nothingness. From that jet-black void, infinite versions of Nyarlathotep across all media emerged to protect Nyaruko San. The book even gives a few pages of details describing the avatars and it even describes Demonbane's Nya, Persona's Nyx, Edison, M, etc. Basically it goes full meta and acknowledges that no matter what happens, different Nyarlathotep from different writers will come to save Nyaruko because the very Story of Nyarlathotep would not let anyone beat her.

Yeah lol.
Would actually be cool if WAB goes along with this meta thing and say that there's infinite versions of Nyarlathotep from different worlds. It'd make sense as to how two different Nyarlathoteps (Moon King and Black King) exist in the verse. And in terms of power boost, it'd be wild with WAB getting a massive boost in Cosmology Size and them Nyarlathoteps getting power/protection from the Original Lovecraftian Nyarlathotep.

Tesla doing an electric dropkick would be sight to see lol.

and probably would pat her if she doesn’t do anything like what Edison did to NY.

Still, Nyaruko having this ability is do broken. Literally has Tier 2 and Tier 1 Nyars to protect her...if there is any other Tier 1 Nyars? IK Demonbane did but last I recall they got downgraded here.

Edit: Probably the OG Cthulhu Mythos Nyar if anything else.

It did say something about a Nyarlathotep from a Superdimension beyond space and time as well a Nyarlathotep who transcended it's 2D plane (Since it's a mere drawing in the verse) to aid Nyaruko.

Yo guys. I just found scans of several WaB artbooks on e-hentai. Two of them are dedicated to Sharnoth, one to Sona Nyl. In them, in addition to the beautiful art, there are several short stories (they were probably written by Sakurai, I did not check).

From what I could roughly understand, the SN arbook has a description of Sanido. Sharnoth artbooks also have some new (?) Information about M. I have not yet translated them (besides, one of the books on Sharnoth has only Chinese translation, while the other two are laid out in Japanese), but there is something there - then about big bang, big crunch, and much more like that.

If anyone is interested, search for "Kaned Fools" on e-hentai. If necessary, I can give a link (I don't know how the administration of this forum treats links to sites like e-hentai xD) or upload these books to some file hosting service.

@Zereer Is there a name or tagline I can check for them?

I really only check for that through liar-soft but never tried to use the specific titles of the VN.

I can maybe try my hand on TL’ing them and checking them over to see what mew things we can get to learn.

@Qliphoth_Bacikal yes, here they are:

(C85) [Kaned Fools (AKIRA)] そんなにいるぷれーん (紫影のソナーニル -What a beautiful memories-)

(C76) [Kaned Fools (AKIRA)] Sitsukokuno Osarunosu (Shikkoku no Sharnoth ~What a beautiful tomorrow~)

(C82) [Kaned Fools (AKIRA)] Futsukokuno Osarunosu - Compilation of OSARUNOSU (Shikkoku no Sharnoth ~What a beautiful tomorrow~) [Chinese] [角落漢化]

> I really only check for that through liar-soft but never tried to use the specific titles of the VN.

Yeah, I did exactly the same. I just recently came across a closed Chinese forum (otomedream or something like that) with scans of one WaB artbook, and remembered about e-hentai, I decided to try to search through Akira (Kaned Fools). And I was pleasantly surprised.

Hmm.

Well it's definitely good it's got short stories for us to look at. Although I will say that I've never done Chinese before so this will be quite the tricky work to do.

But if what you say is true about the Black King, that will be quite interesting to look at ovo.

I have taken a bit of a while break from drafts on the work and since Sona Nyl is still a long way to get out, this could be some good motivator to check back up on it with the series. At least this saves me some money to spend on though lol. For rn. Who knows, I do love me collecting WAB stuff.

Yeah I've come across those Kaned Fools books before in that site but I didn't bother since they're all untranslated. Would be cool if someone translated them.

Yeah NGL, it's very well gonna kick me in the ass compared to doing Japanese.

If there's anything of importance, I will check it. At least see if there's anything new to add for Black King or something as one of the stories do have mention about big crunch and big bang...whatever that's about.

At least the Sona Nyl one is easy since it's in Japanese, of which I can do comfortably.

Thanks for all the translations bud.

Also pretty nice to now have other ppl here discussing stuff besides just us.

Yeah I try at least.

There are still books of it I can buy in Japanese. Although I’m withholding on buying it not only to save on the money but even if I were to buy it, it could be delayed hard considering the pandemic we have at this time.

And considering there’s more cases coming up for this season, I’ll have to hold off on them and settle on the Chinese versions for now.

Okay. Took me a while to get around it, but I sorta got what needed to be done for Sharnoth.

Definitely had to go full on Chinese Dictionary on this one as I really only ever done Japanese (even then, I still use a Japanese dictionary to help with the other stuff) but I tried. So whenever you guys ever wanna give a look, just take whatever it is cuz that was a whole lot to go through and work around it lol.

Also, I should probably note this but as of...well I guess maybe late last month, I decided to go what others have probably done when translating stuff and just go with using the ruby text words for certain things that have them for all the WAB stuff I've done up to this point. For instance, you ever read up Karsheel or read back to it again, every mention of Machine Dead (機械死人) is now just going to use Cyber Zombie (サイバーゾンビー) instead cuz I guess it's better to work myself with that from then on.

Anywho, here's the stuff I've got. Though tbh, I really would prefer doing it in Japanese but this will do for rn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back