• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
I'm going to be honest, some of the ways we structure profiles are flawed.

To explain what I mean, we're not a Japanese website. We speak English and for the most part, we put first names before last names. So why are some series named in English while other series, that are relatively popular mind you, are named in Japanese like Mirai Nikki or Nanatsu no Taizai? And some profiles like Futaba Sakura have the last name before the first one, but Sosuke comes before Aizen on the profiles and Josuke comes before Higashikata on the profiles? It's confusing to have normally English customs and speaking to suddenly have to figure out which way a profile's name is structured. We should solve this while we can.

I think we just go with the most popular version.

Like, I can't think of any instance of me hearing someone calling Mirai Nikki "Future Diary"

Once upon a time we had talked about that for standards and nobody actually applied them.

But personally I think going with the most popular version is best. For many characters switching the name orders just makes them not appear when visitors look up the name they expect (and personally I am never sure if a translator switched name order or not and it's tiresome to think about it).

Ideally we could simply do both of course. Especially for things like the verse pages one can simply create redirects so that both appears in the search bar.

I had to do that for Future Diary. But it's very rare that to English speakers, the JP title will be more popular than the US title. Unless it's one that never received an English title. We should also make a rule/set a precedent to have the first name come before he last one.

Actually the japanese title being more popular is likely the case for many things which got popular before getting a proper localization. But if there's a debate about which title should be used just do both.

And as said, I think having the popular name order or both is better than trying to frantically make the first name go first in all cases.

E.g. there is just no point in naming Shiroyama Kyousuke, Kyousuke Shiroyama, if the former name order is the one used in every translation of his work and anyone that looks up the character would do it in the former name order instead of the latter.

Heck, we name characters with nicknames if they are the best known names for the character, so why would we enforce uncommon name order?

I agree that it's best to just use the most popular name of a given character, like Kal and DontTalk said. Setting up a solid standard for this sort of thing just seems overly pedantic and brings us no real benefit.

It seems unnecessary to standardized something so trivial when it has no real benefit. Seems like a non-issue to me.

Back