• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should we reduce how many Power pages we have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we can always take our time with this and go over them individually. Pretty much everyone seems to favor merging Time Stop into Time Manipulation so we can just deal with that first, then move on to the next.
Yes, that seems reasonable. Is somebody here willing to merge our Time Stop page contents into a new section of our Time Manipulation page, and turn the former page into a redirect link, please?

Thank you. I will unlock the two pages. Tell me here when you are done please. 🙏

I am afraid that it doesn't look good, as you did not create an extra section for this specific, more limited, ability.

@ImmortalDread

Would you be willing to handle it please? 🙏

Thank you very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated. 🙏
Done

Although, I am not a content
Become one.

What about elemental manipulation page? Air, Fire and water one's in particular.

Become one.

What about elemental manipulation page? Air, Fire and water one's in particular.
Elemental Manip being redirected wouldn't work without having to manually look for cases that bring up Water, Fire or Air Manip, I recall I heavily advocated to it being downright deleted, however, but it'd be difficult to clean up either way with how it's just a glorified category as its usage in practice was just listing other P&As redundantly differently, in fact this is why deletion was declined, yet it was seemingly agreed at the time to eventually delete it or something, but it's clearly a quite low priority thing at this point.

Also, to what would Chaos Manip be redirected to? It's generally agreed on here by Ant, Prom and some other mods that it means nothing on its own and is too abstract to really inherently give anything, the description of the page right now also just describes it as glorified AP (aka, "destruction") and overall causing a mess.

It seems like we will keep most of the mentioned pages, but we might be able to merge together the more redundant ones, such as time stop with time manipulation.
This seems to be the best option, as most of the abilities mentioned in the thread have been opposed for deletion or removal with reasonable justifications.

But what about Genius Intelligence, it feels a bit redundant and could be removed as its content can easily be elaborated within the Intelligence page.

Moreover, while indexing in character profiles we could allow for redirects to specific rankings/sections like Gifted or Genius within the intelligence page if a character is indexed as such.

This seems to be the best option, as most of the abilities mentioned in the thread have been opposed for deletion or removal with reasonable justifications.

But what about Genius Intelligence, it feels a bit redundant and could be removed as its content can easily be elaborated within the Intelligence page.

Moreover, while indexing in character profiles we could allow for redirects to specific rankings/sections like Gifted or Genius within the intelligence page if a character is indexed as such.
I will keep this comment up, as I find it at least a neat idea to be considered, but keep in mind this is a staff discussion thread. Please ask permission to comment.

Well, I agree about that the page in question is a bit redundant, but it also does not cause any harm, and is linked to in so many pages that it would take ages to clean away them all, so I personally prefer if it stays. Not to mention that the powers and abilities sections for characters that are more cerebral than physical would look rather empty without linking to it.

It seems like we will keep most of the mentioned pages, but we might be able to merge together the more redundant ones, such as time stop with time manipulation.
@LephyrTheRevanchist @Just_a_Random_Butler @ImmortalDread @LordGriffin1000 @Tllmbrg @Zaratthustra @Armorchompy @KLOL506 @Bobsican @Damage3245 @DemiiPowa @Sir_Ovens @Andytrenom @Deagonx @Mr._Bambu @DarkDragonMedeus @Theglassman12 @Maverick_Zero_X @Flashlight237 @Therefir @Promestein @Crabwhale @Abstractions

What do you think about this suggestion? I think that it seems like the most practical and realistic to apply.

Via redirect links in the merged together pages that is.

I don't entirely remember when the current topic is, I do recall mostly disagreeing with most proposals but maybe getting rid of a few abilities that are redundant.

Stuff I think should be reworked or deleted:

Aura: Has been severely misused by being confused with Chi Manipulation, should at least get renamed to something like "Surrounding Energy" given the intent going by the summary, and the image should be changed as it's misleading.

Chaos Manipulation: Should be downright deleted, it has no real meaning whatsoever nor inherent attributes and is generally given to anything described/related to some vague mention of "chaos". Could probably be removed by a bot given nothing really of significance would be lost without it given it grants nothing on its own anyways (this is even worse than the Hellfire Manip we had), but such effort should be kept for later as there's easily plenty of edge cases to manually fix even so given it has over 700 users.
Do note that Ant and Prom agree on deleting this one in particular, and Mr. Bambu has expressed to have similar thoughts as Prom in general.

Breath Attack: Too niche and just focuses from where an attack comes from without more significant detail for our purposes , should be deleted, could be made into a redirect to Bodily Weaponry if anything.

Crystal Manipulation, Sand Manipulation: Both are unecessary given the overlap with Earth Manipulation and how most verses treat those as practically the same, should be made redirects.

Blessed: Redundant as it's just Power Bestowal but from some in-verse deity, could be made a redirect without issue.

Awakened Power, Rage Power: Redundant with Statistics Amplification, should be made redirects.

Corruption: The image is fanart that isn't a good showing of it, should be changed.

Ectoplasm Manipulation: Has no real inherent effect as it's a fictional substance that thus can't be standarized on what it grants as much Hellfire Manip was deleted, so it should also be gone.

Holy Manipulation, Unholy Manipulation: See Chaos Manipulation and some previous discussion in the thread, I'm aware that the current staff consensus kinda agrees on just keeping them for debatable reasons, but that's still my stance on the matter. The latter could be made a redirect into Corruption given what we assume if in lack of better options, however. The Unholy Manipulation image could also be changed to an usage of it than the mere image of a demonic user... standing there, if it's to stay.

Energy Projection: Should be made into a redirect for Energy Manipulation, just make a subsection for it if anything like how Time Stop was handled for Time Manipulation.

Sense Manipulation: Should be merged with Perception Manipulation, or the other way around, same thoughts as Promestein

I'm aware we're unlikely to be deleting rather overly linked pages right now, but I've bolded the ones that don't necessarily involve deleting pages to ease progress for now.

Last edited:
Armor wrote arguments for Aura to be kept iirc, and Blessed is more so someone being empowered by someone with Power Bestowal as opposed to having it. The difference is one is giving while the other is receiving.

Not sure about Awakened Power or Rage Power, but the rest of the proposals at least have reason.

Well, I agree about that our breath attack page seems redundant, that our sense manipulation page should redirect to perception manipulation, that rage power and awakened power should redirect to statistics amplification, and that our corruption page's header image should preferably be updated, but I think that your other mentioned pages, with the possible exception of chaos manipulation, mostly seem fine to keep as they are.

I think we need to move forward, if we are going to discuss the same topic whether it should be deleted or reworked, we will never have any developments. I think we need to start with the abilities that we all agreed that it can be merged.

Likewise, I merged the time stop with time manipulation, I will check last page and this one, if there are any mutual consensus on other abilities.

I am not prohibiting any topic here, but I feel we are not going to move forward and never apply any other agreed ones if we still are going to argue with controversial ones. Analogously, as a teacher has consistently advised, it is advisable to skip the challenging question and proceed to the subsequent one, subsequently resolving it as the final one.

@Antvasima What do you prefer? Because this is how I currently would do to make some impact, and I also remember DMing you this issue as well.

I strongly believe in the principle "If it isn't broken, do not waste lots of time trying to fix it, when that time is better spent on much more crucial and constructive tasks, especially as lots of people will get disoriented in the process".

As such I much prefer if we only focus on merging the few pages that are very blatantly extremely redundant into other pages for abilities that cover them, and turn the merged pages into redirect links. That seems like by far the easiest way to handle these revisions.

I have always followed this principle; thus, you have trusted me and my capabilities in many other staff threads, as I perform work of this nature proficiently.

I will now begin the process of creating the list.

Pages requiring merging have shown no opposition to the merger

Agreements:
Disagreements:
Neutral:

Last edited:
Ectoplasm Manipulation does appear easy to remove, it has 120ish users and most of them have it with no further details or anything.
I don't think their only being 120ish users is an issue but the issue seems to be people just though ghost = ectoplasm because that was some random standard but that isn't the case because not all ghosts/spirits are the same. Only in works that actually utilize ectoplasm/ectoplasmic energy as a concept should have it and give it the proper description.

Solid examples I can think of are the ghosts from Ghostbusters (they are ectoplasmic entities who have released ectoplasm and it gives of energy readies, and potentially more), Danny Phantom (Same as Ghostbusters and it has allowed them to project it as energy offensively, defensively and is the foundation of all their powers), Paranatural characters seem to have a spectral energy but I don't know the verse so I can't speak on it's full applications.

This power shouldn't be given to all ghosts, from example I made pages for ghosts from Okage: Shadow King like Evil King Stan but I didn't give them ectoplasm manipulation because it's never stated they are made of it or utilize it in any shape or form. And then their Pokemon ghosts who don't seem to have (that I've seen) proper justification If why their ghost types have ectoplasm manipulation, and same goes for King Boo from Mario, he has no justification.

So my stance is the same. If majority agree with removing it in general then I won't argue as verses I'm knowledge on that have ghosts in them that truly use ectoplasm/spectral power as a concept, I've made a blog explaining what it can do. I just don't think removing a unique power that is the foundation of certain characters physiology or abilities is the best idea. What I think should be done is remove it from profiles who have no evidence of it.

These seem fine to merge in my opinion.

Thanks for your evaluations, I will be adding your votes. (If I like the message, it means I am adding their votes, to avoid me thanking every time ;3)

@Promestein is an honorable mention, so I will be adding it, if none of you has any issues with it.
Although, noting that her vote will be same valued as any other non-staff member, ensuring the fairness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back