• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Saint Seiya - Practically Everyone Is 2-A Addition (well not really lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also the Chronos from Time Odyssey is blatantly not the same Chronos as ND. He's a physical being who is weaker than the Olympians and whose mortal warriors are Silver Saint level mooks. Chronos in Next Dimension is an amorphous god who transcends time and space and is above even Zeus.

Why are your translations correct?
I discussed them with Trexalfa on Discord who speaks fluent japanese and has spoken so for over 10 years. (He was a fan of Dies Irae and had read the visual novel back in 2013, for example).

Basically the blog asserts that "Multi-Dimensional" or "Multiple Dimensions" automatically means Multiverse and uses it in every instance where they say multiple dimensions.

I discussed them with Trexalfa on Discord who speaks fluent japanese and has spoken so for over 10 years. (He was a fan of Dies Irae and had read the visual novel back in 2013, for example).

Basically the blog asserts that "Multi-Dimensional" or "Multiple Dimensions" automatically means Multiverse and uses it in every instance where they say multiple dimensions.
And I am to take this translator over the several who have translated the ones in the blog why? Bringing up DI like it’s not famously known for bad/mistranslations…?

at this point. The whole verse is outdated, no one wants to update the profiles according to the current canon blog. Every single debate revolves around the semantics of translations. The verse should be deleted, at least for the time being.

edit: getting any kind of mod to actually evaluate a Saint Seiya CRT is also near impossible as well, most CRTs end up dead or in perpetual limbo.

So the obvious problem is that a lot of the translations here are wrong.

I will go over some claims

The Olympians in Saint Seiya: Next Dimension are stated to be capable of “Destroying All Universes.”[24] In Saint Seiya: Dark Wing the antagonist, Demiurge, is stated to be capable of Threatening "All worlds."[25]"

This is a lie.

宇宙全ての摂理を狂わせるような大きな力が!!!
A force so great that it would upset the order of all universes!

The translation is innacurate. What it actually says is "A force so great that it would upset the entire cosmic order.".
^^^^^

To add to that, it's also worth noting that even contextually, it makes zero sense whatsoever for this scene to be referring to all universes.

The reasoning being pushed in this thread is honestly tantamount to someone claiming that for example, here it says that Kid Buu from DBZ was going to destroy all universes just because it uses that same phrase "全宇宙".
ff38daae574f4c55b1b074a06a0bc226.png

But obviously from context we know that's not true and it's simply referring to a universe/cosmos, singular.

It's no different here. The context of this scene is that Saori's messing around with one single universe's history and space-time continuum, and we even see how the nearby other universe Shiryu falls into was completely unaffected by the 全宇宙 getting distorted. There's 0 reason whatsoever to believe this refers to all universes here.

Don't see any significant reasons why ssj and matthew logic make more sense than what unshakeable one suggested, in fact what this shows is that this verse need a knowledgeable translator rather than others spamming their own ideology on how things should be because one japanese phrasing makes their point looks valid.
This doesn't proof his translation are right FYI. For all we know the people who translated unshakeable one own have been into japanese language longer than your guy 🤔.

Don't see any significant reasons why ssj and matthew logic make more sense than what unshakeable one suggested, in fact what this shows is that this verse needs a knowledgeable translator rather than others spamming their own ideology on how things should be because one japanese phrasing makes their point looks valid.
No one's spamming their own ideology here, all that is being discussed is the context of a statement.
This doesn't prove his translation are right FYI. For all we know the people who translated unshakeable one own have been into Japanese language longer than your guy 🤔.
Speaking a language for a longer duration than someone else (assuming that is even true here) doesn't inherently make one more credible at translating/interpreting statements from a verse. That's like saying I am more credible than an 18 year DC powerscaler simply because I've been speaking English for over 19 years

Bringing up DI like it's not famously known for bad/mistranslations…?
That kinda proves his point
at this point. The whole verse is outdated, no one wants to update the profiles according to the current canon blog. Every single debate revolves around the semantics of translations.
Yes, it's almost as if what the panels say is extremely important and relevant.
The verse should be deleted, at least for the time being.
Agree without the time being part, I suggest the same for DB too but that's a different can of worms
edit: getting any kind of mod to actually evaluate a Saint Seiya CRT is also near impossible as well, most CRTs end up dead or in perpetual limbo.
That's no one's fault per se, same reason why the verse has very few knowledgeable members

Yes, it's almost as if what the panels say is extremely important and relevant.
I'm not saying it's not, I'm saying it's incredibly tiring for every single CRT for this verse to come down to power-scaling translators.

Agree without the time being part, I suggest the same for DB too but that's a different can of worms
DB is not even remotely relevant to this thread and the reasons I'm suggesting StS be deleted temporarily are issues DB will never have due to sheer popularity alone. Every single (and I do mean that literally) profile needs to be remade from scratch according to the (not so) newly accepted canon blog.

The verse could quite easily be deleted and brought back gradually with profiles more accurately and in line with the current canon.

It would be appreciated if all raw Japanese scans were provided along with their respective translations for peer review.
For 2-A AP, which is really what anyone's concerned about here, these are the respective raw scans (anyone else feel free to lmk if any were missed), and I can compile the opposition to the proposal's provided translations.

fSWuhS4.jpeg

w131.jpg

GIKdlxvCHkZWBlQFp4I6RCbxSDRb0HAt5WtGSWHjoYDYHREBgNAXwhAAB60aX0pWZ8vQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg.png

As far as onsite translation goes, Exector says it could go either way and is heavily reliant on context.

For other sources, on r/translator I was told it's "entire universe."

Well I did, and unsurprisingly, he maintains that it means entire universe as he put in his translations.
da8c7b8fae7cd9c41ec3ef8953cf1925.png
More importantly, I also asked the actual main translator (guess you could call him the Saint Seiya equivalent to Herms for Dragon Ball threads) of the manga to take another look (he'd already translated this scene before as "entire universe"), and he still agrees it translates as entire universe.

As for the rest, @Matthew_Schroeder's post above summed it up great in reference to the other scans (like how one of them only talks about "taking over worlds" which doesn't necessitate anything for AP) and has another translator in favor of "entire cosmic order/universe" for the main scans above.

No one's spamming their own ideology here, all that is being discussed is the context of a statement.
What is the difference between what you said and what just said? Using the word discuss doesn't still change what's happening.
Speaking a language for a longer duration than someone else (assuming that is even true here) doesn't inherently make one more credible at translating/interpreting statements from a verse. That's like saying I am more credible than an 18 year DC powerscaler simply because I've been speaking English for over 19 years
I never said knowing a language for more times makes you better than someone who also knows said language for a fewer time. This was the statement I was disproving:

This statement felt more like a hype telling us this fluent japanese speaker is legit for reals. My statement only implies that if we are basing things of that then for all we know unshakeable one translator might have been speaking japanese longer.

I am mostly incon on this translation stuff but also leaning towards unshakeable one logic since she's been doing lot of ss upgrades for a long time and lot of them where legit and was accepted even by lance who mostly disagrees with things regarding ss.

So yeah you misinterpretated what I was saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back