• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any other support for the characters being this fast? Because from what's been said in the thread, their next best feat is just Massively Hypersonic.
Both Winter and Cinder have sub-rel feats

But again, these feats were dont after a timeskip where they were staed to have gotten faster, saying they cant be sub-rel would be like saying they cant be MHS in season 5 because in seasons 1-3 they only had hypersonic feats

C (Lasers) aren’t powered by B (hard light dust) in this scenario, they’re powered by D (lightning dust) because no one has proved they’re powered by B. Hence the discussion on lightning and photons (none of which is confirmed in verse and is pure speculation based solely on the statement of “laser” which I feel needs a lot more than just the word to claim everything being claimed)
Got it.

Is there any other support for the characters being this fast? Because from what's been said in the thread, their next best feat is just Massively Hypersonic.
The Owl House got bumped to FTL and they had MHS feats before. It’s especially egregious in that case since Luz is stated multiple times to be a normal human, not super powered like the huntsmen, huntresses, and maidens in RWBY.

C (Lasers) aren’t powered by B (hard light dust) in this scenario, they’re powered by D (lightning dust) because no one has proved they’re powered by B. Hence the discussion on lightning and photons (none of which is confirmed in verse and is pure speculation based solely on the statement of “laser” which I feel needs a lot more than just the word to claim everything being claimed)
It’s not just a “word.” It’s the connotations behind the word and who is saying it. I point to my Ruby example.

The Owl House got bumped to FTL and they had MHS feats before. It’s especially egregious in that case since Luz is stated multiple times to be a normal human, not super powered like the huntsmen, huntresses, and maidens in RWBY.
Where? The pages only go up to MHS.

A mechanical laser powered by electricity would still be lightspeed

Especially when said laser is used synonymously with other lasers that project natural light, and done so by scientists who created both

Again, there just comes in the basic fact that lasers are just lightspeed. While they are not explicitly stated, the science behind them is good enough. It would be like if a character dodged a camera flash. We all know that the flash is light and this lightspeed, so there doesn’t need to be a flat out statement that says “Hey, that was lightspeed.”
What science? There is no stated science behind her lasers beyond their name.

And again, I have to point to the source of the statement, a scientist. If like Ruby said “Woah. That was a laser!” I’d understand the contention. After all, she probably isn’t that into science. But this was a scientist who said that, a guy who knows about photons and such.
Ok, that doesn’t matter. The source is calling it a laser, but that doesn’t automatically mean every assumption about the sources knowledge of the laser in question is what you’re claiming it to be.

You would have to prove that the scientist is referring to a light speed laser when he calls it a laser. Do light speed lasers exist in remnant?
A mechanical laser powered by electricity would still be lightspeed
Do mechanical lasers exist in remnant beyond Penny’s? Is there any reference whatsoever that light speed laser technology is present in the verse?

I would like to establish a baseline of intelligence first.

Saying “he’s a smart science guy so everything he says is 100% congruent with our own science” is not what I call a sound argument without backing for the scientists own intelligence. He is a scientist using magical dust powder that controls the elements for his research, that isn’t exactly comparable to a real life scientist.

So establishing that the scientist is a credible source, in comparison to IRL laser technology, I feel is a given if he’s such an important piece.

And before people start crying, yes, I know Remnant is somewhat futuristic in parts, and especially futuristic in Atlas, but that does not inherently make all of their technological advancements equivalent. Light speed technology should be present first or at least implied before jumping the gun to “ok these lasers operate on a 1:1 scale of IRL laser technology because a science guy called it a laser”

Yes, the majority of lasers in RWBY utilize and project natural light due to using hard light dust
“Majority” there is literally one scene where they have laser technology comparable to Penny’s so far produced, there’s not exactly an abundance of them
I posted the airship lasers earlier in the thread. It was from V3.
Proof those lasers are light speed? What’s the evidence for those lasers being comparable to Penny’s? At least Penny has feats implying otherwise, these lasers hit something and make things explode.

hold a sec guys I’m typing this shit out between sets at the gym. Might have to come back when my ****** is less tired lol

“Majority” there is literally one scene where they have laser technology comparable to Penny’s so far produced, there’s not exactly an abundance of them

Proof those lasers are light speed? What’s the evidence for those lasers being comparable to Penny’s? At least Penny has feats implying otherwise, these lasers hit something and make things explode.
You don’t know they made those explosions. It could have been a chain reaction from the intense heat blasted on the ship that made those explosions. And, come on. They fire in a straight line and a red like most typically lasers in fiction. That’s a good starting place to say that they are lasers.

Also, I thought it was standard VS Battle rules to assume that each verse has comparable base elements. Heck, in Arrowfell, they state that Penny can use radio stuff, which is based on the light spectrum, so we know that their science is similar to ours.

You don’t know they made those explosions. It could have been a chain reaction from the intense heat blasted on the ship that made those explosions. And, come on. They fire in a straight line and a red like most typically lasers in fiction. That’s a good starting place to say that they are lasers.
One criteria: fires in a straight line.

Im not confident

Also, I thought it was standard VS Battle rules to assume that each verse has comparable base elements. Heck, in Arrowfell, they state that Penny can use radio stuff, which is based on the light spectrum, so we know that their science is similar to ours.
That doesn’t mean much? Similar but different, their definition of laser could be different cause they aren’t operating with the same tools. They have dust, something IRL does not have, and their “lasers” fire big ass force producing beams that kill and destroy things.

Again; establishing a baseline for what Remnant considers a “laser” is important here

One criteria: fires in a straight line.

Im not confident
Fires in a straight line, reflects off of reflective surfaces, burns rather than generating force, mechanical rather than supernatural, used in cameras and other light-based tech, made of natural light, stated by scientists to be light

How much more do you need?

Fires in a straight line, reflects off of reflective surfaces, burns rather than generating force, mechanical rather than supernatural, used in cameras and other light-based tech, made of natural light, stated by scientists to be light

How much more do you need?
I’m talking about the ship lasers, not Penny.

What are the requirements met for the ship lasers for them to be evidence that Remnant has light speed laser technology

I’m talking about the ship lasers, not Penny.

What are the requirements met for the ship lasers for them to be evidence that Remnant has light speed laser technology

The Spider Droid is stated to have a particle cannon

That alone makes it lightspeed

And its described as a laser

In this clip, Penny explains that Ruby can break herself down to her molecular components, and even shows a molecule structure representing Ruby. Thus, this shows that their micro science is similar to ours.

thus, we can clearly state that Atlas scientists have a the same understanding of particles as we do.

And Adam blocks it after it fired and absorbed it...

Isn't it a bit strange that Ruby needs to break herself down to microscopic particulars in order to travel super-fast?

Also, can't we measure how quickly she travels while she is in her particle form?

Isn't it a bit strange that Ruby needs to break herself down to microscopic particulars in order to travel super-fast?

Also, can't we measure how quickly she travels while she is in her particle form?
Her semblance atm is in a weird spot because the writers are trying to develop it into teleportation, so theyre having it gradually evolve from just running fast to having her break herself down in one spot, move, and then reassemble in another spot

Even Harriet, whose semblance is super speed, outright says that Ruby's semblance is not speed

With this statement, we can see that sufficient radiation pressure in space can push large and heavy objects such spacecraft and even asteroids out from their path. Thus, this proves that ,with a strong enough light source, massive objects can be forced back. Before this, Professor Lombardi states:
This is actually not a good example. The formula for light force (with its current scaled value) would get you the following:
  • 1.2719e+16 Watts / 299,792,458 = 42,426,017.3 Newtons
That level of force is nowhere near enough to crack concrete with overpressure, let alone shatter it with a shockwave generated from its energy being produced.

The High 8-C ratings would drive that value down to the point where you pushing on a object with a single hand would generate more force than anything Penny can produce.

I mean she can move fast without the semblance. It’s just that she can now make herself intangible and break down other people into molecules along with her.

This is actually not a good example. The formula for light force (with its current scaled value) would get you the following:
  • 1.2719e+16 Watts / 299,792,458 = 42,426,017.3 Newtons
That level of force is nowhere near enough to crack concrete with overpressure, let alone shatter it with a shockwave generated from its energy being produced.

The High 8-C ratings would drive that value down to the point where you pushing on an object with a single hand would generate more force than anything Penny can produce.
Gotcha. I just put that in there for people who want more convincing on the force thing. However, force isn’t counted against lasers now anyway.

sigh

feats for the PARTICLE CANNON being lightspeed. That is a highly fictional weapon that DEFINITELY requires feats to be even remotely classified as lightspeed from naming alone.

Let me spell this out;

EVERY SINGLE LASER NEEDS TO MEET THE CRITERIA. HAVING MORE LASERS DOES NOT = ME

In this clip, Penny explains that Ruby can break herself down to her molecular components, and even shows a molecule structure representing Ruby. Thus, this shows that their micro science is similar to ours.

does not show their laser technology is on par. I’ve already stated that there are similarities and difference with our sciences and theirs, I’m asking for evidence of their knowledge for light speed laser technology specifically for them to be able to label something as a laser.

Literally every single laser they have so far shown is a giant death beam that is impossible irl and only acceptable in fiction, which is why the light speed requirements are in place. Proving that the giant death lasers are light speed is your stance. Being called something is not enough, even if the scientific backing is there.

To put it out there:

These lasers can be real. They can be photons. They can have multiple properties of light. And they can still not be light speed. That’s why establishing every single baseline possible is a must.

However, force isn’t counted against lasers now anyway.
It is. What the change was is that force is no longer an automatic dismissal factor regrading a laser. But it is 100% useable counter-evidence for it.

Calling something a laser is unimportant, regardless of who says it. Or else every single Sci-Fi story with lasers would instantly be considered lightspeed.

Moving in a straight line or being unable to touch them is not proof of anything. Not having anti-feats is irrelevant, since you need to prove it in the first place. "Please note that the opposite of these criteria do not prove a beam is at lightspeed, merely that it could be, should it meet the first list of criteria."

• The beam refracts in a new material, such as a liquid or... (Nothing of the sort has been shown. I've explain my issues with Winter's magic ice wall thing)
  • The beam diffuses in a reasonably realistic way or reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror. (Has not been shown)
  • The beam is called lightspeed by reliable sources. (No such statement has been provided)
  • It is stated to be composed/consisting of photons or light itself, again by a reliable source. (No such statement has been provided)
  • It has its origin at a realistic source of light, such as a camera. (Velvet's camera flash is unrelated to Penny's weapons for the reasons explained above)
Right now the current RWBY "lasers" don't have anything to suggest it moves at lightspeed.

The people attempting to prove these lasers are lightspeed MUST uses these guidelines above to prove it. At least three of them are needed in general from what I've heard. However stronger evidence such as a being stated it's lightspeed or made out of photons are more acceptable than reflecting off a reflective surface.

Ruby's Semblance has ZERO reason to be brought up in this discussion whatsoever. Breaking herself down to her molecular components does not make her lightspeed. Nor does it have any relevance to Penny's laser. Anything unrelated to this topic should be dropped, do not bring up pointless material.

I personally still do not see the lasers in RWBY as being lightspeed.

sigh

feats for the PARTICLE CANNON being lightspeed. That is a highly fictional weapon that DEFINITELY requires feats to be even remotely classified as lightspeed from naming alone.

Let me spell this out;

EVERY SINGLE LASER NEEDS TO MEET THE CRITERIA. HAVING MORE LASERS DOES NOT = ME
Particle beams by definition are lightspeed as a standard boyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back