• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I got at least 5 anti-feats lined up then, where we wanna start
I think you're confusing my point here. Force itself is an anti-showing, but showing a dozen instances of the beams having force doesn't mean you have a dozen anti-feats. It's means you have proven that one aspect of the lasers not being realistic is consistent in that franchise, which counts as a singular counterpoint.

Ruby's Semblance has ZERO reason to be brought up in this discussion whatsoever. Breaking herself down to her molecular components does not make her lightspeed. Nor does it have any relevance to Penny's laser. Anything unrelated to this topic should be dropped, do not bring up pointless material.

I personally still do not see the lasers in RWBY as being lightspeed.
I bring up Ruby’s molecular description by Penny not because that proves Ruby moves at lightspeed, but because it shows that scientists and knowledgeable people in the RWBYverse how a in-depth knowledge of how molecules work. Thus, their science is comparable to ours and thus, they know how fast a laser would be.

Calling something a laser is unimportant, regardless of who says it. Or else every single Sci-Fi story with lasers would instantly be considered lightspeed.

Moving in a straight line or being unable to touch them is not proof of anything. Not having anti-feats is irrelevant, since you need to prove it in the first place. "Please note that the opposite of these criteria do not prove a beam is at lightspeed, merely that it could be, should it meet the first list of criteria."

• The beam refracts in a new material, such as a liquid or... (Nothing of the sort has been shown. I've explain my issues with Winter's magic ice wall thing)
  • The beam diffuses in a reasonably realistic way or reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror. (Has not been shown)
  • The beam is called lightspeed by reliable sources. (No such statement has been provided)
  • It is stated to be composed/consisting of photons or light itself, again by a reliable source. (No such statement has been provided)
  • It has its origin at a realistic source of light, such as a camera. (Velvet's camera flash is unrelated to Penny's weapons for the reasons explained above)
Right now the current RWBY "lasers" don't have anything to suggest it moves at lightspeed.

The people attempting to prove these lasers are lightspeed MUST uses these guidelines above to prove it. At least three of them are needed in general from what I've heard. However stronger evidence such as a being stated it's lightspeed or made out of photons are more acceptable than reflecting off a reflective surface.

Ruby's Semblance has ZERO reason to be brought up in this discussion whatsoever. Breaking herself down to her molecular components does not make her lightspeed. Nor does it have any relevance to Penny's laser. Anything unrelated to this topic should be dropped, do not bring up pointless material.

I personally still do not see the lasers in RWBY as being lightspeed.
If at least three of them must be fufilled, why does Naruto get away with just having one LS statement in a guidebook?

I bring up Ruby’s molecular description by Penny not because that proves Ruby moves at lightspeed, but because it shows that scientists and knowledgeable people in the RWBYverse how a in-depth knowledge of how molecules work. Thus, their science is comparable to ours and thus, they know how fast a laser would be.
None of that is relevant. You do not need to prove this, this is just a baseline assumption we should always believe. Edit: In a Sci-Fi world such as RWBY I mean.

Doesn't matter how smart you make them sound, their statements don't magically become better by just calling something a laser or have some technology.

I don't think you understand that isn't how any of this works. Stop bringing up other verses and focus on RWBY, I don't care about Naruto.

They dont though? Force is not an automatic disqualifier when the lasers in question have every property of lightspeed
But it is an anti feat. So the Particle Cannon? Debunked as light speed, produces force AND lacks any other qualities of light speed. It must meet wiki standards, name alone doesn’t cut it, you know this. It could be called the “lightspeed mega death cannon that definitely moves at light speed tm” and it would still need wiki standards to be accepted.

Ship cannons? Produce force and do not possess enough qualities. Not light speed.

This solely leaves Penny’s lasers as possible lightspeed technology.
I think you're confusing my point here. Force itself is an anti-showing, but showing a dozen instances of the beams having force doesn't mean you have a dozen anti-feats. It's means you have proven that one aspect of the lasers not being realistic is consistent in that franchise, which counts as a singular counterpoint.
I know, but in conjunction with other points, the only possible true laser technology being used is Penny’s, as it shows more than one property of light. The others do not, on top of having force. So an aspect of them is unrealistic, on top of a lack of feats beyond naming conventions.

Penny’s lasers are founded on the belief that all other lasers in the franchises are light speed through their names and feats. But their feats have a counter argument via force on top of not meeting wiki standards.

This leaves her standing solely by herself with laser like qualities, with one of her most credible sources, a “scientist,” not being so credible if the other examples are not confirmed.

Calling something a laser is unimportant, regardless of who says it. Or else every single Sci-Fi story with lasers would instantly be considered lightspeed.

Moving in a straight line or being unable to touch them is not proof of anything. Not having anti-feats is irrelevant, since you need to prove it in the first place. "Please note that the opposite of these criteria do not prove a beam is at lightspeed, merely that it could be, should it meet the first list of criteria."

Furthermore, there are a few criteria which show a beam is NOT real light:
  • It is shown at different speeds in the same material.
  • It is tangible and can be interacted with physically by normal humans.
  • They do not travel in straight lines (unless you can prove refraction/reflection, see above.)
The point of bringing those things up is moreso to cover the bases of proving that the lasers dont fit the criteria for not being real light
  • The beam refracts in a new material, such as a liquid or... (Nothing of the sort has been shown. I've explain my issues with Winter's magic ice wall thing)
  • The beam diffuses in a reasonably realistic way or reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror. (Has not been shown)
Its not magic ice, its a flat sheet of natural ice.
  • The beam is called lightspeed by reliable sources. (No such statement has been provided)
Hard Light Dust alone proves this given that it is natural light in its raw state, but the fact that Atlas' scientists describe the Spider Droid's laser as a particle cannon would be proof as well.
  • It is stated to be composed/consisting of photons or light itself, again by a reliable source. (No such statement has been provided)
Yes, Hard Light Dust, which is natural light. Also the particle cannon laser of the Spider Droid. Both of which were stated as such by the most intelligent scientists in the world who developed both light dust-based lasers and the spider droid's particle cannon.
  • It has its origin at a realistic source of light, such as a camera. (Velvet's camera flash is unrelated to Penny's weapons for the reasons explained above)
Not sure how its unrelated when its a blatant demonstration of hard light dust projecting natural light in its raw form, same with the cameras of scrolls and the holograms used by Atlas. Its blatant proof that hard light dust in its raw form is natural light, and thus the lasers that project hard light dust are in fact projecting natural light. Saying that its unrelated is just outright false.
Right now the current RWBY "lasers" don't have anything to suggest it moves at lightspeed.

The people attempting to prove these lasers are lightspeed MUST uses these guidelines above to prove it. At least three of them are needed in general from what I've heard. However stronger evidence such as a being stated it's lightspeed or made out of photons are more acceptable than reflecting off a reflective surface.
Boyo, the check four out of the five criteria and the scans that prove they do have been posted multiple times

I know, but in conjunction with other points, the only possible true laser technology being used is Penny’s, as it shows more than one property of light. The others do not, on top of having force. So an aspect of them is unrealistic, on top of a lack of feats beyond naming conventions.
Boyo, all of the lasers in the verse have the same properties as Penny's, what are you even talking about

Yeah side me with Rusty in terms of the light speed arguments, I don’t see enough criteria’s being fulfilled to get light speed, also the whole radio frequency argument doesn’t make any sense to me, idk how that can be argued light speed.

But it is an anti feat. So the Particle Cannon? Debunked as light speed, produces force AND lacks any other qualities of light speed. It must meet wiki standards, name alone doesn’t cut it, you know this. It could be called the “lightspeed mega death cannon that definitely moves at light speed tm” and it would still need wiki standards to be accepted.
Particle cannons are lightspeed by definition, there was literally an entire CRT about this a few months back
Ship cannons? Produce force and do not possess enough qualities. Not light speed.
Use light dust as a source and thus project natural light

I believe if we go by this standard right here then lasers in my hero academia would also be automatically qualified as light speed despite having no such statement of them being that fast.

Other series such as One Piece or Naruto’s light fang have very explicit light speed statements. They are literally stated to be moving at light speed.

It doesn’t make sense to bring these series up when you’re discussing an instance where the light speed statement is not present.

Yeah side me with Rusty in terms of the light speed arguments, I don’t see enough criteria’s being fulfilled to get light speed, also the whole radio frequency argument doesn’t make any sense to me, idk how that can be argued light speed.
Thats nice Glass, read the actual thread, Rusty is wrong, the lasers fit every single criteria to be lightspeed

While I don't like bringing up other verses in a CRT. Actual statements of something moving at lightspeed is WAY more acceptable than something being called a laser by a scientist. Since Sci-Fi lasers in fiction don't automatically equal lasers, are else are lightspeed rules wouldn't make any sense.

If it's stated to move at the speed of light, it's basically accepted. The only discussion that remains would be if it's an outlier for the series.

However let's stop bringing up other verses in this discussion.

While I don't like bringing up other verses in a CRT. Actual statements of something moving at lightspeed is WAY more acceptable than something being called a laser by a scientist. Since Sci-Fi lasers in fiction don't automatically equal lasers, are else are lightspeed rules wouldn't make any sense.

If it's stated to move at the speed of light, it's basically accepted. The only discussion that remains would be if it was an outlier for the series.
Boyo ive posted the statements o lightspeed in RWBY and you ignored it

I’m also confused on this “Hard light dust” argument. There is literally no such statement that Penny’s lasers are operating on hard light dust. So this position cannot be proven and am confused on why it’s being brought up again.

I’m also confused on this “Hard light dust” argument. There is literally no such statement that Penny’s lasers are operating on hard light dust. So this position cannot be proven and am confused on why it’s being brought up again.
Cool? We havent been arguing that her lasers run on hard light dust, just that theyre mechanical lasers, which would still qualify for lightspeed, and that theyre referred to as the same kinds of lasers as particle cannons and lasers thart project raw natural light

I was literally lied to about the hard light dust, idk why that is ever being brought up again

If it's stated to move at the speed of light, it's basically accepted. The only discussion that remains would be if it's an outlier for the series.

However let's stop bringing up other verses in this discussion.
Yeah? That’s what I said lol?

I was pointing out how it didn’t make sense to compare an instance of a series getting light speed based on light speed statements vs an instance of an attempt to get light speed based off of “laser” statements.

Yeah? That’s what I said lol?

I was pointing out how it didn’t make sense to compare an instance of a series getting light speed based on light speed statements vs an instance of an attempt to get light speed based off of “laser” statements.
RWBY has lightspeed statements that have been posted in this thread smh

Okay, so Rusty agrees that our verse and RWBverse has the same scientific properties, so that is good. However, I do not understand the argument that just calling something a laser doesn't mean it's lightspeed. If that same Atlas scientist calls a sheet of metal a metal, would that fall under the same scrutiny? Or if he claims that they are all now breathing air, would we also have to prove that they are breathing air, with all the properties of the molecules and how it moves and such? Or if that scientist calls a bolt of electricity out of the sky lighting, would we also have to prove that it moves the same as our lighting? I'd say no because common sense dictates that we know he is knowledgable about how the world works and such. Yet, why do RWBY lasers and particle cannons come under the same scrutiny?

Cool? We havent been arguing that her lasers run on hard light dust, just that theyre mechanical lasers, which would still qualify for lightspeed, and that theyre referred to as the same kinds of lasers as particle cannons and lasers thart project raw natural light
In your most recent response to Rusty, when he pointed out how the qualifying criteria for lasers to be light speed is if they’re explicitly said to be light speed and you pointed out “hard-light based lasers”

I assume this meant the lasers are based off of hard light dust.

In your most recent response to Rusty, when he pointed out how the qualifying criteria for lasers to be light speed is if they’re explicitly said to be light speed and you pointed out “hard-light based lasers”

I assume this meant the lasers are based off of hard light dust.
Yes, the lasers from the Atlas turrets and gunships, not Penny's lasers

Okay, so Rusty agrees that our verse and RWBverse has the same scientific properties, so that is good. However, I do not understand the argument that just calling something a laser doesn't mean it's lightspeed. If that same Atlas scientist calls a sheet of metal a metal, would that fall under the same scrutiny? Or if he claims that they are all now breathing air, would we also have to prove that they are breathing air, with all the properties of the molecules and how it moves and such? Or if that scientist calls a bolt of electricity out of the sky lighting, would we also have to prove that it moves the same as our lighting? I'd say no because common sense dictates that we know he is knowledgable about how the world works and such. Yet, why do RWBY lasers and particle cannons come under the same scrutiny?
Because of the wikis strict as hell rules on fictional lasers, IT NEEDS TO BE SAID ITS SOL or else it's not a laser apparently

Anything else doesn't matter at all

Yes, the lasers from the Atlas turrets and gunships, not Penny's lasers
I have not seen a single scan citing the lasers from the Atlas turrets or gunships are made from hard light dust. If you have that please show it but thus far this is only an assumption because “Atlas is the father of hard-light dust” as you say.

I understand it is the nature of fiction to exaggerate effects and such. And I understand the reluctance. However, I still stand by the point that a knowledgeable source in the world of the verse calling something a laser should automatically make it Lightspeed. And I understand that what I am proposing here has a large domino effect on the rest of the Verses calced on this website. However, I feel as though that such a change should come to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back