• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And when I say knowledgeable source, I mean a person who is like a scientist or like a super smart person. Not some regular person on the street. I know that is a worry some of you guys have.

I understand it is the nature of fiction to exaggerate effects and such. And I understand the reluctance. However, I still stand by the point that a knowledgeable source in the world of the verse calling something a laser should automatically make it Lightspeed. And I understand that what I am proposing here has a large domino effect on the rest of the Verses calced on this website. However, I feel as though that such a change should come to pass.
Well if you’d like to change the wiki rules you may do so in a separate CRT, however wiki rules cannot be changed in singular CRT upgrade threads.

Because of the wikis strict as hell rules on fictional lasers, IT NEEDS TO BE SAID ITS SOL or else it's not a laser apparently
This wiki doesn't give a damn if something is called a laser by anyone, it doesn't matter. Have actual feats or statements that support it. If you don't like it... Well that's your opinion and I don't know what else to tell you. You can try to change it, but this is what has been decided on as of now.

Well if you’d like to change the wiki rules you may do so in a separate CRT, however wiki rules cannot be changed in singular CRT upgrade threads.
Tempted to do so but I am not sure how much evidence I'd need to gather in order to make such a website spanning change.

This wiki doesn't give a damn if something is called a laser by anyone, it doesn't matter. Have actual feats or statements that support it. If you don't like it... Well that's your opinion and I don't know what else to tell you. You can try to change it, but this is what has been decided on as of now.
If I have a flash light and point it at a flat sheet of ice and the light reflects back but no one says the flash flight is light speed or what it's powered by, I guess my flash light isn't light speed

I understand it is the nature of fiction to exaggerate effects and such. And I understand the reluctance. However, I still stand by the point that a knowledgeable source in the world of the verse calling something a laser should automatically make it Lightspeed. And I understand that what I am proposing here has a large domino effect on the rest of the Verses calced on this website. However, I feel as though that such a change should come to pass.
Personally I don’t find your point of view unreasonable, but you’d have revise the site’s overall rules for Laser Dodging Feats, as the site’s standards are simply way stricter than that currently.

Personally I don’t find your point of view unreasonable, but you’d have revise the site’s overall rules for Laser Dodging Feats, as the site’s standards are simply way stricter than that currently.
And yet verses with far, far less evidence get accepted as lightspeed while a verse that has lasers that are made of natural light, use the same light as is used in cameras, reflect off of reflective surfaces, move only in straight lines, burn and cut rather than generating force, and are outright described as particle beams and stated to be light by the top scientists in the world gets declined for lightspeed

Do you think I could make a compelling argument? My overall reasoning is that, if a reliable in story source such a scientist or someone knowledgeable about how molecules work makes the claim that something is a laser, then it should be assumed that same laser moves at the speed of light.

Honestly this rule is dumb

• It has its origin at a realistic source of light, such as a camera.
Because light magic exists and it's fiction anyways, so the existence of light magic and fiction in general this rule shouldn't exist tbh

I understand the change I am proposing would upgrade many verses to lightspeed. However, would that be such a bad thing?

I believe that we have come to a unique situation that has not been brought up before about statements in-universe that something is a laser. I suppose what I am stating is that I want remove the barrier of proving that said laser moves at lightspeed, as the term and ethos of the speaker already makes the claim for said laser.

Honestly this rule is dumb

• It has its origin at a realistic source of light, such as a camera.
Because light magic exists and it's fiction anyways, so the existence of light magic and fiction in general this rule shouldn't exist tbh
Man if only RWBY had a camera that projected light using the same source as all the light-based technology in the verse that could be used as evidence for this.................hmmmmm...............

Again the fact that there was a recent CRT that put particle beams at SoL as a standard and the lasers in RWBY are particle beams as stated by the scientists in the verse should be proof enough that the lasers qualify for lightspeed

And yet verses with far, far less evidence get accepted as lightspeed while a verse that has lasers that are made of natural light, use the same light as is used in cameras, reflect off of reflective surfaces, move only in straight lines, burn and cut rather than generating force, and are outright described as particle beams and stated to be light by the top scientists in the world gets declined for lightspeed
If they’re “other verses” that don’t fulfill the site’s criteria for being lightspeed then I recommend bringing them up elsewhere, they have no bearing here. Bringing them up won’t really help RWBY’s case.

Do you think I could make a compelling argument? My overall reasoning is that, if a reliable in story source such a scientist or someone knowledgeable about how molecules work makes the claim that something is a laser, then it should be assumed that same laser moves at the speed of light.
To be frank I think it’d be pretty difficult to get people to agree with making the current laser standards laxer regardless of the argumentation used. Those rules have been in place for forever.

I don't want this to devolve into mudslinging and the like. If I may ask, if the site did not have the rule of having to prove a laser to move at lightspeed, and just calling the object a laser by a reasonable source, would that make feats such as RWBY's lasers more acceptable? I have a feeling that, despite his resistance as of now, Rusty would be open to the idea.

If they’re “other verses” that don’t fulfill the site’s criteria for being lightspeed then I recommend bringing them up elsewhere, they have no bearing here. Bringing them up won’t really help RWBY’s case.
Im not masochistic enough to try to downgrade Naruto, One Piece, or Black Clover boyo, im just pointing out the double standards of verses with less evidence getting a pass while verses with more evidence get turned down

To be frank I think it’d be pretty difficult to get people to agree with making the current laser standards laxer regardless of the argumentation used. Those rules have been in place for forever.
Do you know what would be there arguments? Or would it just be "These rules have been here forever, so why change them?"

Again the fact that there was a recent CRT that put particle beams at SoL as a standard and the lasers in RWBY are particle beams as stated by the scientists in the verse should be proof enough that the lasers qualify for lightspeed
Where is it stated all lasers in the series are particle beams?

Do you know what would be there arguments? Or would it just be "These rules have been here forever, so why change them?"
“Considering lasers automatically lightspeed would cause exaggerated speed ratings that usually aren’t consistent with other speed feats” and arguments along those lines.

If at least three of them must be fufilled, why does Naruto get away with just having one LS statement in a guidebook?
Because of this
Additionally, if a series is very close to lightspeed or exceeds it in several other calcs and scenarios (such as what is seen in DBZ), there is less of a burden of proof to show that the laser is a true laser.
Franchises like DC and Marvel have a smaller barrier of entry for SoL lasers than RWBY, because they have independent speed calcs that are almost as good or better speed wise.

Where is it stated all lasers in the series are particle beams?

“Considering lasers automatically lightspeed would cause exaggerated speed ratings that usually aren’t consistent with other speed feats” and arguments along those lines.
Ah I see. I think I can come up with a counter argument for that. After all, plenty of verses have been upgraded to numerous higher levels due to one specific feat. Such as when main DB became low multi-versal from the Goku vs. Beerus fight and those shockwaves. Not saying that you yourself bealive them. Just throwing out an argument.

Okay so I rewatched the world of remnant video. They state that dust comes in four basic forms that can combine together to make new kinds of dust.

"Dust. By definition, it is a naturally occurring energy propellant that can be triggered by the Aura of Humans and Faunus. But in reality, it is much, much more."

Doesn't say anything about how or which elements combine together to make hard-light dust though.

Doesn't say anything about how or which elements combine together to make hard-light dust though.
The RWBY wiki has sources for that but theres canonically more than four natural kinds of Dust

Ice = Wind + Water

Magma = Fire + Earth

Steam = Fire + Water

I mean, if it were those beams were just solid light, wouldn't that just mean that those Velvet, turrents and that droid would be firing just like ******* pillars? The fact that they disappear after firing shows that it is some work of non-solid light.

Yes

Hard Light Dust fired in its raw state has a light blue color

Atlesian Beam Turret has the same kind of beam

Same with the Spider Droid

I asked this question before, what Velvet is producing is hard light “constructs” which you explicitly noted was different from hard light in its natural state.

Can you prove what Velvet is firing is the raw state of hard light dust instead of a construct of Penny’s weapons? Especially considering she’s doing this through a hard light construct of Penny’s weapons.

Is cannot just be baselines assumed she’s firing it in its natural state if she’s just using the construct of Penny’s weapons.

Hard light dust in its natural state seems to just be a literal flash of light like Velvet’s camera, not the light blue constructs being produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back