• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Revising Dragon Ball Flight Speed (Dragon Ball + DBZ + DBS Manga)

They're also consistently fast too
a̵c̵t̵u̵a̵l̵ ̵a̵n̵s̵w̵e̵r̵ ̵i̵s̵ ̵b̵e̵c̵a̵u̵s̵e̵ ̵a̵k̵i̵r̵a̵ ̵i̵s̵ ̵a̵ ̵h̵a̵c̵k̵ ̵a̵n̵d̵ ̵i̵t̵'̵s̵ ̵j̵u̵s̵t̵ ̵i̵n̵c̵o̵n̵s̵i̵s̵t̵e̵n̵t̵
Though I don't mind there being a flight speed discrepancy between combat, as long as it's reasonable, like I hope what being proposed isn't they can't fly at top speed at all, they clearly can and have done so, over some decent distances like a handful of km or the like, just over huge distances like Snake Way, across planets, etc, is where the difference seems to pop up. For distances like that I personally don't mind as long as we don't pretend or ignore the instances they have hit flight speeds comparable to combat over shorter but still notable distances.

But that's all I'm saying, whatever it ends up at idc, mostly just didn't like the outlier arguments.

Just so nobody misunderstands me, I'm not suggesting we do a blanket downgrade of every character down to Hypersonic combat speed. I'd like to make that clear.
Then what are you suggesting? Because this...
It seems to me that a better alternative would be downgrade their combat speed in that case. (Crazy to suggest, I know)
...seems to tell me pretty much that.

They're also consistently fast too
a̵c̵t̵u̵a̵l̵ ̵a̵n̵s̵w̵e̵r̵ ̵i̵s̵ ̵b̵e̵c̵a̵u̵s̵e̵ ̵a̵k̵i̵r̵a̵ ̵i̵s̵ ̵a̵ ̵h̵a̵c̵k̵ ̵a̵n̵d̵ ̵i̵t̵'̵s̵ ̵j̵u̵s̵t̵ ̵i̵n̵c̵o̵n̵s̵i̵s̵t̵e̵n̵t̵
Though I don't mind there being a flight speed discrepancy between combat, as long as it's reasonable, like I hope what being proposed isn't they can't fly at top speed at all, they clearly can and have done so, over some decent distances like a handful of km or the like, just over huge distances like Snake Way, across planets, etc, is where the difference seems to pop up. For distances like that I personally don't mind as long as we don't pretend or ignore the instances they have hit flight speeds comparable to combat over shorter but still notable distances.

But that's all I'm saying, whatever it ends up at idc, mostly just didn't like the outlier arguments.
Them flying between planets almost never comes up.

I don't believe them more consistently fast than they are consistently slow. I base this belief on a significant number of "anti feats" or just "feats" in general.

I don't like bringing up outlier arguments either, but at this point something has to be done about the profiles in my opinion and the current version to me seems like it is supporting the most high end interpretation possible when there are much more reasonable lower ends.

Them flying between planets almost never comes up.

Not what I said.

I don't believe them more consistently fast than they are consistently slow. I base this belief on a significant number of "anti feats" or just "feats" in general.

Well, idk what to say lad, but, that's kinda demonstrably completely wrong? I don't even know if I want to even call this subjective, there's numerous speed feats in DB alone. Calc the feats in DB, you'd find a slew of casual hypersonic feats for example. Multiple feats that are above your flight speeds above bar Gotenks. And that's just DB, and just from casual bullet, missile, etc feats. They're pretty obviously consistently fast too, let's not pretend they aren't.

I don't like bringing up outlier arguments either, but at this point something has to be done about the profiles in my opinion and the current version to me seems like it is supporting the most high end interpretation possible when there are much more reasonable lower ends.

And this is what I was worried about, you said you haven't proposed any ratings but it's kinda obvious where you're heading.
One extreme isn't better than the other, two wrongs don't make a right, Damage, find a reasonable middle ground, you wanted accuracy right?

Not what I said.

I know, I was just responding to one of your points for long-distance travel. Was just trying to clarify.

Well, idk what to say lad, but, that's kinda demonstrably completely wrong? I don't even know if I want to call this subjective, there's numerous speed feats in DB alone. Calc the feats in DB, you'd find a slew of casual hypersonic feats for example. Multiple feats that are above your flight speeds above bar Gotenks. And that's just DB, and just from casual bullet, missile, etc feats. They're pretty obviously consistently fast too, let's not pretend they aren't.

I think that depends on what we mean by "fast". Fast in terms of current DBZ is FTL and MFTL, not in the range of casual Hypersonic feats you've mentioned.

And this is what I was worried about, you said you haven't proposed any ratings but it's kinda obvious where you're heading.
One extreme isn't better than the other, two wrongs don't make a right, Damage, find a reasonable middle ground, you wanted accuracy right?

A middle ground is what I'm aiming for. It's just a rocky journey to get there because both sides need to meet in the middle.

I can name two more significant fights that do this just for the sake of making the show be more dramatic.

Frieza's 5 minute claim

and the Tournament of Power.
This is why these statements about time are really starting to fall under PIS to me. It's all just meant for there to be higher stakes in whatever's going on, as those two examples show

This is why these statements about time are really starting to fall under PIS to me. It's all just meant for there to be higher stakes in whatever's going on, as those two examples show
The opposite is just as true for Piccolo's feat.

He wasn't the one that did the million km statement. It was someone else who did not cross. Even he says it's "believed" to be that length
He's the only one who could make such a claim given that he's the only person that has actually crossed the Snake Way...

The speed can make sense in Akira Toriyama mind, since all the battles happen on a planet. Where FTL speed is not needed, unlike space travel. Like Bulma's MFTL spaceship.

Yes, it is possible for Snake Way to be shorter or longer. That's not worth speculating on though.

Goku still balked at the prospect of having to cross 1 million km.

Yes, it is possible for Snake Way to be shorter or longer. That's not worth speculating on though.

Tbf, the Earth is only 12,756.2 Kilometers in Diameter. I'm not sure if Goku knows that but that is technically much larger/longer than Earth.

Well as said, I don't mind if long distance flight gets its own rating, as long as we don't just ignore the blatant examples they have used high speed flight, albeit just not over extremely large (though still notable) distances.

Goku doesn't even know what a million is. He probably heard big number and went "woah". That's not a good counter to what they're saying, Goku is dumb as a brick.

The statement is referring to Goku telling Gohan not to acceleate to his full speed. Not that he already did it and now he travels at full speed, as even you agree he doesn't (since when I said you said he did, you said I'm putting words in your mouth)
No. There's no proof they can do it only in short bursts.
I believe you answered this yourself. The energy issue is the main problem why they can't perform these long distance flights with the same speed as their short bursts.

Point being, showing short bursts isn't necessarily evidence of long flights either, so either way, the argument is not going to fly.

doesnt know kissing is
thought marriage was a food
didnt even know his own age
thought 11 came after 14 or whatever Gilad said
that time beerus told him to a billion sit ups or whatever

Goku knows nothing that isn't food or combat.

I honestly believe Goku can't count beyond a number higher than his daily workout reps.

Wait is this thread now arguing for a Combat Speed downgrade??
Not entirely; as I said a few pages back there are multiple potential options and that counts as one of them.

I'm trying to keep an open mind as to several different ways this could go down. All I know is that some kind of revision needs to happen.

Anyone who is ruling that out as even a possibility is just not actually interesting in debating and is being stubborn.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah... uh... I'm not sure if you should just be jumping to conclusions like "they're just stubborn and aren't really interested in debating" given how multiple sides and made their arguments against your case.
Gather all the feats that supports near the LS travel speed and those that shows the opposite. I think that the most consistent showing is that they aren't LS in travel speed.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah... uh... I'm not sure if you should just be jumping to conclusions like "they're just stubborn and aren't really interested in debating" given how multiple sides and made their arguments against your case.
I'm not expecting them to accept it as a conclusion, obviously, but people who just say "No, this isn't open for discussion" are not exactly being open-minded about it.

Our profiles are not set in stone; very little is.

Remember how Roshi's feat was kept off the profiles for years then eventually allowed? Things can change, even if they've been established for years.

I mean, I haven't even suggested a figure yet for a potential downgrade and I've got people telling me a downgrade can't happen.

Gather all the feats that supports near the LS travel speed and those that shows the opposite. I think that the most consistent showing is that they aren't LS in travel speed.
Pretty sure they've all been given right to you on this very thread. If you still won't accept that these anti-feats aren't even anti-feats to begin with and have more underlying context to them, then I really don't know what else to say.

Back