• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Revising Dragon Ball Flight Speed (Dragon Ball + DBZ + DBS Manga)

Okay, here are the list of calcs I want to add to the verse page:

• Dende's Flight Speed: 68.16 m/s (Subsonic)
  • Goku's Travel Speed (Pre-Training): 95.129376 m/s (Subsonic)
  • Piccolo's, Tien's Yamcha's and Chiaotzu's Travel Speed: Mach 1.298 (Supersonic)
  • Gohan's Flight Speed (Pre-Power Boost): Mach 1.32 (Supersonic)
  • Krillin's Flight Speed (Post-Power Boost): Mach 1.987 (Supersonic)
  • Goku's Travel Speed (Post-Training): Mach 16.87 (Hypersonic+)
  • Krillin's Flight Speed (Cell Saga): Mach 21.69 (Hypersonic+)
  • SSJ Gotenks' Flight Speed: Mach 5197.52 (Massively Hypersonic+)
Specific ratings proposals can wait for that.
  • It took Piccolo roughly 29 minutes to fly from Kami's lookout to where Gotenks was waiting for him. Piccolo was in a hurry.
Piccolo was in a hurry for Gotenks to fight Buu, not to catch up to Gotenks. He even said it later when he said Gotenks has only a minute left
  • In the Namek arc, even when Krillin flies at full speed to the Great Elder's house, he can't make the journey in a single trip and needs to sleep before starting again.
The scan you used doesn't prove anything. Unless there are scans missing, that scan tells us nothing
  • Goku warns Gohan not to fly at full speed as they're travelling to the meet-up point to fight the Androids... If Gohan truly has even Rel+ speed at this point, then he'd be able to travel anywhere on Earth in a second, and we can agree surely that the characters can keep up their max strength for more than a second. Since he cannot, then his maximum speed must be far slower.
Gohan was clearly not flying at full speed throughout the entire flight. Goku was not flying at full speed either and he told Gohan not to either, as Gohan likely flied faster and started getting away from the group

Piccolo was in a hurry for Gotenks to fight Buu, not to catch up to Gotenks. He even said it later when he said Gotenks has only a minute left

He was in a hurry to catch up to Gotenks. He chased after him as soon as Gotenks set off, and Gotenks even took a nap before Piccolo caught up.

The scan you used doesn't prove anything. Unless there are scans missing, that scan tells us nothing

Okay, here's the scan where they slept after their full speed journey. Sorry for not including it the first time.

Gohan was clearly not flying at full speed throughout the entire flight. Goku was not flying at full speed either and he told Gohan not to either, as Gohan likely flied faster and started getting away from the group

I didn't say he was at full speed the entire flight.

I didn't say he was at full speed the entire flight.
Yes you did. You implied that this doesn't work because the flight speed Gohan used during the trip to fight the Androids was his top speed when it actually isn't. Gohan just accelerated and became faster before Goku told him to not go faster than their speed

Question; does a "few" not deviate towards 3 rather than 2? Note that 10^0 is 0 and 10^1 is 10

Would that change the result of Gotenks speed into Sub-Relativistic?

Yes you did. You implied that this doesn't work because the flight speed Gohan used during the trip to fight the Androids was his top speed when it actually isn't. Gohan just accelerated and became faster before Goku told him to not go faster than their speed
Err, please don't put words in my mouth. I very clearly never said that.

I said:

Goku warns Gohan not to fly at full speed as they're travelling to the meet-up point to fight the Androids...

What part of that is, "Gohan flew at full speed the entire way there"

Question; does a "few" not deviate towards 3 rather than 2? Note that 10^0 is 0 and 10^1 is 10

Would that change the result of Gotenks speed into Sub-Relativistic?
No, it would still be Massively Hypersonic+. And I used 24 because that seemed the safer choice; I'm not sure if the original raws actually said "dozens" or just "several" as some fan translations have put it as. I'll see if I can get that checked.

Then if so, why you use this statement as if it helps your point by referring to their full speed?
The statement is referring to Gohan's full speed.

If Gohan's full speed could get him to anywhere on Earth in a split-second, then they'd just travel that way. Unless we're seriously considering that the characters cannot keep up their stamina for more than a split-second, I don't know what the confusion here is.

Tell me, what is your interpretation of Goku's statement?

No, it would still be Massively Hypersonic+. And I used 24 because that seemed the safer choice; I'm not sure if the original raws actually said "dozens" or just "several" as some fan translations have put it as. I'll see if I can get that checked.
Okay

The statement is referring to Gohan's full speed.

If Gohan's full speed could get him to anywhere on Earth in a split-second, then they'd just travel that way. Unless we're seriously considering that the characters cannot keep up their stamina for more than a split-second, I don't know what the confusion here is.

Tell me, what is your interpretation of Goku's statement?
The statement is referring to Goku telling Gohan not to acceleate to his full speed. Not that he already did it and now he travels at full speed, as even you agree he doesn't (since when I said you said he did, you said I'm putting words in your mouth)

Okay, here are the list of calcs I want to add to the verse page:

• Dende's Flight Speed: 68.16 m/s (Subsonic)
  • Goku's Travel Speed (Pre-Training): 95.129376 m/s (Subsonic)
  • Piccolo's, Tien's Yamcha's and Chiaotzu's Travel Speed: Mach 1.298 (Supersonic)
  • Gohan's Flight Speed (Pre-Power Boost): Mach 1.32 (Supersonic)
  • Krillin's Flight Speed (Post-Power Boost): Mach 1.987 (Supersonic)
  • Goku's Travel Speed (Post-Training): Mach 16.87 (Hypersonic+)
  • Krillin's Flight Speed (Cell Saga): Mach 21.69 (Hypersonic+)
  • SSJ Gotenks' Flight Speed: Mach 5197.52 (Massively Hypersonic+)
Specific ratings proposals can wait for that.

In case anyone's gut reaction is "Most of these calcs can't be right, they're laughably slow." There are multiple points of support from the series itself:

• Krillin stated that he would need his full speed to outpace Bulma's plane and meet her halfway on her journey. Bulma's plane which takes well over 20 minutes to fly a few thousands of kilometres.
  • It took Piccolo roughly 29 minutes to fly from Kami's lookout to where Gotenks was waiting for him. Piccolo was in a hurry.
  • In the Namek arc, even when Krillin flies at full speed to the Great Elder's house, he can't make the journey in a single trip and needs to sleep before starting again.
  • Goku warns Gohan not to fly at full speed as they're travelling to the meet-up point to fight the Androids... If Gohan truly has even Rel+ speed at this point, then he'd be able to travel anywhere on Earth in a second, and we can agree surely that the characters can keep up their max strength for more than a second. Since he cannot, then his maximum speed must be far slower.
  • Countless times the characters have taken several minutes to fly to places, and definitely when they had no reason to hold themselves back; see Frieza trying to get to the Dragon Balls to attain immortality with the Z Fighters having enough time to summon Porunga have a couple wishes, or Piccolo being wished to Namek and flying to the fight and being several minutes late.
  • Several characters get tagged by the Solar Flare which is a technique that radiates light. Nowhere is it stated that the light gets faster if a character is more powerful, just that it'll be brighter. It is pure headcanon to assume they're firing FTL light. Such characters that get tagged by this include Frieza, Piccolo, Trunks and Krillin (twice). The characters sometimes even have time to react to their opponent putting their hands up to activate the Solar Flare... but still fail to react to the light itself or defend themselves from it.

If anyone has some counter-points that support the characters being MFTL aside from just the current multipliers... I'll wait for them.

At this point if we don't revise Dragon Ball Z speed, then we're just being deliberately ignorant and inaccurate. There's never been so many things that go against our current ratings for a verse than this; if anyone wants to pretend that the characters in the Dragon Ball Z era have MFTL speed... then what could possibly convince you otherwise if not all this?
@AKM sama @DarkDragonMedeus @GodlyCharmander

The statement is referring to Goku telling Gohan not to acceleate to his full speed. Not that he already did it and now he travels at full speed, as even you agree he doesn't (since when I said you said he did, you said I'm putting words in your mouth)
Okay... I think this point has run its course. It's just an additional supporting point anyway.

This isn't actually related to the thread, but I'll just a put a thought out there that it would probably be a good idea to split up Frieza's profile at this point. The guy has 10 keys on there (and conveniently there is a good place where he can be split up between DBZ and DBS).

A note on their profile that explains they can't sustain their flight-speed for longer travel distances would make much more sense. Especially since people have already given many examples of DB characters flying at similar speed to their combat speed.

A note on their profile that explains they can't sustain their flight-speed for longer travel distances would make much more sense. Especially since people have already given many examples of DB characters flying at similar speed to their combat speed.
There's no note that says that. There's nothing suggesting they can only do it for short bursts

It seems to me that a better alternative would be downgrade their combat speed in that case. (Crazy to suggest, I know)

Sure, even though they consistently scale to Relativistic speeds with combat speed as well, so you treating every feat above Hypersonic or something as an outlier doesn't work
I think it's possible we have different understandings of consistency.

The two Moon busting feats give us a Sub-Rel+ calc and a Rel calc.

That's two feats at Sub-Rel+ or above for the entirety of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. In a group of assorted values, the ones we'd classify as "inconsistent" are the ones that are furthest away from the general set. If we laid out all the speed values from all of the calcs in Dragon Ball onto a graph, we'd be able to see quite clear which ones stand out from the rest, no?

Yeah no, that's not gonna fly here for reasons that should be very obvious.
I know, it's very obvious that Dragon Ball is one of the most popular verses on here and is very resistant to change. Especially when the current ratings have been established for as long as they have.

Let me ask you, is there anything that could convince you to downgrade the verse's speed?

I think it's possible we have different understandings of consistency.

The two Moon busting feats give us a Sub-Rel+ calc and a Rel calc.

That's two feats at Sub-Rel+ or above for the entirety of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. In a group of assorted values, the ones we'd classify as "inconsistent" are the ones that are furthest away from the general set. If we laid out all the speed values from all of the calcs in Dragon Ball onto a graph, we'd be able to see quite clear which ones stand out from the rest, no?
I don't even talk about just that. There are plenty other feats regarding Goku and everyone else doing Relativistic and higher feats (Frieza destroying planets, Final Flash, Kid Buu destroying Earth, just to name a few)

And I guess I was right since you do seem to ignore everything that doesn't feat your speed cap of Hypersonic or something

I know I'm a bit late on this specific topic but I've been busy and wrote this like 3 days ago.

I'm not really so keen on the "let's only focus on Saiyan/Namek" arcs, that seems dishonest. If there's contradictions later on, it's important to talk about them, Dragon Ball isnt just two parts, it's a bunch. If feats later on disprove or paint another picture, they have to be accounted for, after all, the verse's power set didn't magically change. If an argument of flight=/=combat is being argued for early on, it would apply later on too, ergo, sequences later on MUST be discussed as well. Trying to get it passed early on while ignoring later stuff taht this would, in fact, effect, just comes off as disingenuous imo.

I kinda wanna point a flaw in the "moon beam is high, so it could be an inconsistency/outlier", as well as any other "well these feats eclipse the flight speeds so theyre might be a issue". honestly It'd never cut it imo. Because you'll come across this same issue, dozens and dozens of times over.

Ok let's say the rel feat is an outlier because Goku only flew at Mach 20 coming back on Snake Way. So it's an outlier, what's the next highest feat? Uh oh, that's right, still magnitudes and magnitudes above Goku's Mach 20. What about the feat below that one? Uh oh, still magnitudes, and below that? Uh oh...

See the issue? The argument that the rel feat is inconsistent with much lower flight speeds, ergo, it could be an outlier will never fly because that same argument would mean we don't just toss the rel feat, we toss about 200 other feats too, because let's not pretend that even early Dragon Ball isn't filled feats that eclipse those dozen or so flight feats, if it's a numbers game, the amount of feats that dwarf them is vastly higher.
And I'm not talking about scaling feats, I mean stand alone feats that can be quantified and calced, even basic shit like Roshi whipping out casual hypersonic feats of catching a spray of bullets paints a problematic picture with this argument.

Nothing will never be an outlier based on "it's way higher then these dozen flight feats", as that would make hundreds of other feats above those 12 feats also an outlier, and frankly, that's ******* dumb as shit.

Though I'm not entirely against flight speed having a standalone rating, at least, if we specify it's long distance flight speed, because they can very much fly at insane speeds comparable to their top speeds, but I can kinda see a discrepancy. I wouldn't word it like "short burst" though for those instances, it's not like the top flight speed only works for a meter or two, there's been instances where they flew at extreme speeds over at least a few kilometers, but for things like a billion miles or other such actually huge distances, it not being able to last that whole length is reasonable, I think.

Do note I actually don't give a ****.

cannot keep up their stamina for more than a split-second, I don't know what the confusion here is.

Tbh, maybe? Depends on what they do in that split second, if they have a fight where where they throw thousands of punches, get the shit kicked out of them, and from their POV it's essentially a full blown fight, yeah, maybe. Pretty sure we actually see this in Super with the ToP, some fights last mere seconds and the fighters get visibly exhausted.

Their Travel Speed should remain as Hypersonic+ from the entirety of OG Dragon Ball and most of DBZ until the Cell Saga.

From the Buu Saga onwards they should scale to Buu's FTL feat (destroying several planets accross the Universe over the course of a few years)

Their Combat Speed should remain FTL.

I don't even talk about just that. There are plenty other feats regarding Goku and everyone else doing Relativistic and higher feats (Frieza destroying planets, Final Flash, Kid Buu destroying Earth, just to name a few)

And I guess I was right since you do seem to ignore everything that doesn't feat your speed cap of Hypersonic or something

Frieza destroying planets is an anime-only calc.

The Final Flash wouldn't affect the ratings in the Saiyan Saga or Frieza Saga.

Buu destroying the Earth wouldn't affect the ratings in the Saiyan Saga or Frieza Saga.

Tbh, maybe? Depends on what they do in that split second, if they have a fight where where they throw thousands of punches, get the shit kicked out of them, and from their POV it's essentially a full blown fight, yeah, maybe. Pretty sure we actually see this in Super with the ToP, some fights last mere seconds and the fighters visibly exhausted.
Didn't we once literally have an argument about stamina ratings over MFTL+ fighters viewing seconds as akin to literal hours or even years in their perspective just because of how fast they move around?

That's two feats at Sub-Rel+ or above for the entirety of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.
Technically incorrect:

Goku dodging laser, which wasn't aim dodging,
Goku reacting to a Tri beam, which was confirmed to be more powerful than the Kamehameha wave
Goku reacting to a Solar flare after it was casted.

Didn't we once literally have an argument about stamina ratings over MFTL+ fighters viewing seconds as akin to literal hours or even years in their perspective just because of how fast they move around?
🤷‍♂️

@Chariot190; I haven't suggested any specific ratings yet.

I'm not saying "Let's just put everyone down at the lowest feat possible because anything higher than the lowest feat is an Outlier".

Also, considering they all fight and react so fast, wouldn't that mean that the assumed time frame would be lower? Given that at these speeds some fights can last just seconds or less (like with Goku VS Jackie Chun)

Also, considering they all fight and react so fast, wouldn't that mean that the assumed time frame would be lower? Given that at these speeds some fights can last just seconds or less (like with Goku VS Jackie Chun)
I can name two more significant fights that do this just for the sake of making the show be more dramatic.

Frieza's 5 minute claim

and the Tournament of Power.

I haven't suggested any specific ratings yet.

I'm not saying "Let's just put everyone down at the lowest feat possible because anything higher than the lowest feat is an Outlier".
Didn't say as much, I'm just saying arguing that the high end feats being an outlier based on them conflicting with travel speed is a tad suspect as it's not just those feats that are above the flights, there's a baffling amount, between the high ends and the flights. If the high ends become an outlier for that, everything inbetween would too by proxy. Also didn't you literally just suggest a potential combat speed downgrade for this very reason?

Just so nobody misunderstands me, I'm not suggesting we do a blanket downgrade of every character down to Hypersonic combat speed. I'd like to make that clear.

Didn't say as much, I'm just saying arguing that the high end feats being an outlier based on them conflicting with travel speed is a tad suspect as it's not just those feats that are above the flights, there's a baffling amount, between the high ends and the flights. If the high ends become and outlier for that, everything inbetween would to by proxy. Also didn't you literally just suggest a potential combat speed downgrade for this very reason?
I suggested it because some people keep saying "Combat speed is closely linked to flight speed. Their flight speed can't be far away from their combat speed."

So if the two are closely linked... and the characters are consistently slow... then that means something is up.

Back