• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Revising Dragon Ball Flight Speed (Dragon Ball + DBZ + DBS Manga)

I know, what I mean is that he took time to get to the ship when in a hurry. Even if he was weakened he was in Super Saiyan and was not at the opposite side of the planet. THAT is the important plot point to not overlook.
Oh, fair. I do agree that he took some time to get there; more than what you'd expect if he truly possessed FTL flight speed and he was evidently in a hurry.

Goku was weakened from the battle he faced against Frieza, and the ship was far away even if it wasn't on the other side as Frieza traveled far from the ship to chase the Z fighters during their battle

Goku was weakened from the battle he faced against Frieza, and the ship was far away even if it wasn't on the other side as Frieza traveled far from the ship to chase the Z fighters during their battle
I guarantee you, they were not that far from the ship.

Haven't read the whole thread but from I see, I agree with the idea of splitting speed, at least for early DBZ anyways

Oh, fair. I do agree that he took some time to get there; more than what you'd expect if he truly possessed FTL flight speed and he was evidently in a hurry.
Also until further notice. Super Saiyan 1st Grade is a global multiplier, unlike for example Super Saiyan 3rd Grade (the buff form). It is far stronger but it is less fast. And in the Spanish guide-book that we use it is stated to be a x10 of the Super Saiyan (so x500), it is so even stronger than Super Saiyan 3 in raw power. But it's stamina loss and speed is so bad that no one uses it.

( x10 source : "Trunks acquires a force 10 times greater, but his movement skills are more limited." )

So by this logic, even on Namek Goku speed would have been multiplied by 50 and still, he didn't reach the ship in time.

This may be the cause of PIS, since if the ship would really be this close, then even the likes of Tao Pai Pai and 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai Goku showed that they can reach such speeds easily

If anything, this might be an outlier for the lower end, as he consistently scale to faster people

This may be the cause of PIS, since if the ship would really be this close, then even the likes of Tao Pai Pai and 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai Goku showed that they can reach such speeds easily

If anything, this might be an outlier for the lower end, as he consistently scale to faster people
To be fair, I think Tao Pai Pai only has such travel speeds when he's actually throwing the log and riding it. He hasn't demonstrated he can run that first over long distances.

To be fair, I think Tao Pai Pai only has such travel speeds when he's actually throwing the log and riding it. He hasn't demonstrated he can run that first over long distances.
Maybe so, and even then, Goku and Roshi in 21st Budokai, who are << Tao Pai Pai, can both fight and travel back to where they started in what seemed to the audience as instant, so they are certainly capable of going like that

And 22nd Budokai Goku speed was also faster than Goku's supposed speed here, which is obviously inconsistent

Is there any rough idea of the value that would be used for flight speed if a split occurs? Snake Way feat?

Tbf with something that big you can see hundreds of miles away.
The planet is not gigantic, also. From some of my calc that I don't think will ever get accepted it's not even moon sized. (1,206.5 km)

unknown.png

Is there any rough idea of the value that would be used for flight speed if a split occurs? Snake Way feat?
I'll be posting calcs tomorrow.

I will be going offline shortly and will get back to this tomorrow.

Here. It's on Chapter 113. And considering humans (and likely saiyans as well, since they aren't aquatic creatures) swimming speed is much slower than running speed, this says a lot

Oh and Goku did this very casually, as he wasn't a bit tired when he got to the group
There's no timeframe given for this, right?

EDIT: Assuming it took Goku a day to make that journey, that still gets him less than Supersonic swimming speed.

There's no timeframe given for this, right?
He did do it without falling asleep in the middle, and he did trained for all 3 years before swimming this distance, so it likely took him few hours given he's also not tired after being awake for the whole time he swam

I guess we can make a lowballed estimate of like 6 hours? 8 hours? The tournament happens also during the day so I don't think he did that at night since Goku sleeps during the night time, especially since he still have his tail here

We do know some stuff, which are:

1) Goku seems to do it in one go, without stopping, as he refers to what he did casually, and if he would be required to stop and rest (and if he did, how did he rest in the middle of the ocean?), he would mention that it was tough and needed rest to complete it

2) This took few hours at most. Goku never stays awake during the night because he still have a tail and doesn't want to activate his Oozaru form by accident. He also always sleeps early during Roshi's training so he couldn't swam at night. The tournament itself happened duting the day, and given the amount of battles happened, they likely took some time. However, even after the tournament, it was still daytime

1) Goku seems to do it in one go, without stopping, as he refers to what he did casually, and if he would be required to stop and rest (and if he did, how did he rest in the middle of the ocean?), he would mention that it was tough and needed rest to complete it

Technically speaking he could have stopped off at any island along his way and rested.

Technically speaking he could have stopped off at any island along his way and rested.
Goku would've mentioned he needed to stop if that really is the case, however, he treated the feat as if it was nothing to him, just something he casually do.

If he did couldn't do it in one go and needed to stop, he'd mention that swimming was very hard and he had to stop to rest on an island. Also the assumption there was even an island on the way requires more assumptions that weren't provided as Goku didn't mentioned anything in his way between his starting point and the finish point

Well, we don't know for sure if he would mention any of those things unfortunately. All I know is that as a whole that feat is less reliable than some of the other ones.

Well, we don't know for sure if he would mention any of those things unfortunately. All I know is that as a whole that feat is less reliable than some of the other ones.
We can still use lowballed estimates, and we do know several things about this

Even in calcs an estimated timeframe can be assumed based on what we know. Many calcs do that, and as a calc group member, you should know that. Ignoring the feat for the sake of your argument can be seen as dishonest since you ignore stuff that may oppose your argument, which in this case is that it's very inconsistent for Namek Saga Goku to be this slow when he showed time and time again he can move faster even in OG Dragon Ball

Back