• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rest In Peace, Stan Lee

I wasn't even going to come here today, but once I found out this was for real, I had to crawl back in here and say my piece.

I have to be honest; I haven't consistently read Marvel's comics in over three years. I fell off a while back, and each time I've tried to return, well...let's just say I've been left feeling extremely sour.

That said, to deny the influence that Marvel's characters have had on my life over the years would be wrong even in the face of that fact. I don't care how bad Marvel's current output gets; these characters and their stories have been a major part of my childhood all the way into my teen years, and I shudder to think of what my life would be like if I hadn't had the chance to experience all of the memories I currently have with the company's many, many books.

The mind and imagination of Stan Lee is what's responsible for all of these characters, and as a direct consequence, I have him to thank for all of the good times I've had while reading their stories, watching their cartoons and going out to see their movies. And I know I'm not the only person who's saddened by the news of his death, because I'm not the only person with so many years of memories attributed to his work, not by a damn sight.

But in spite of those hard feelings, I can say right now that his legacy will live on for ages, long after today has passed. He was, effectively, the Walt Disney of comics; his creations were, and are, timeless, and through his ideas, a small company (that's what Marvel was, before he showed up) morphed into one of the biggest names in the industry. That by itself, without even going into Marvel's further development into a multimedia juggernaut, is a feat everything as impressive as anything his characters have accomplished in-verse over the years. There's no wavering on that. No denying it whatsoever.

Rest in peace, Stan Lee. The world of comics will never be the same without you.

I also want to say that I was talking with a friend about our favorite comics when both of us found out about the news. Needless to say, we weren't ready for this at all, and the sheer irony did nothing to soften the moment.

It was an unusually fitting coincidence, in retrospect. But Jesus Christ...

I was doing maths study today when my mom told me. As a mere high school student, I can't ever truely say that I ever understood exactly the impact that Stan the Man had on the world, and on the comic book industry. But, as a true blue Marvel fanboy, Stan Lee was one of my great inspirations. He seemed like such a tireless, fun man, who enjoyed life to it's fullest.

Many famous people have died before. But none have ever hit me like this one did. And, while Stan's death is a sad, sad day for fiction in general, it should be a time to remember the life of the man who changed the way we see comic books. As a man who created characters first and superheroes second. And, when the MCU's supply of prerecorded cameos runs out, and I watch the first movie without Stan's presence, it will hurt me more than a thousand Thanos snaps.

Rest in peace, Stan.

Excelsior!!!

I...honestly...ugh...I almost broke into tears today.

First Steve Ditko, now this.

My country's people only know Stan Lee for his cameos.

But ever since I read his Spider-Man comics, I turned into an instant fan of his.

EXCELSIOR

Stan Lee was like an Alfred Hitchcock or an Orson Welles in that his work was largely very approachable without making any sacrifice of depth. Spider-Man's responsibility, Daredevil's faith, Silver Surfer's existentialism -- these were among many important themes Stan's writings communicated in a fashion anyone could appreciate and enjoy. Perhaps comics as a whole are a fluffy medium, and it is true that too many are content to pour over escapades of men in tights instead of branching out into other works. However, Stan's work did have meaning, and I am not the only one who went on to appraciate artists like Tarkovsky and Kurosawa because of works by Stan Lee and storytellers like him. He was an artist who appreciated foreign works, too; his Marvel Epic imprints brought works from Japan and Europe to Western shores, heightening our appreciation for art from cultures around the world. Visionaries as influential and good-hearted as Stan Lee come along only once in a lifetime, but Lee's marvellous accomplishments will live on for much longer still. You'll always be "The Man," Stan Lee. Excelsior!

Stan Lee, On His Accomplishments

And, while we're here, let us remember something.

When Stan died, this is what DC Comics wrote on their Twitter. Respect for such a man transcends even the age-old rivalry between these two giants of the comic book world.

If these two, who have held a grudge for so long, can put that aside to celebrate this wonderful man, that, well, that is a message that I think we all can take to heart

That video is a good reminder that we should take the time to directly voice our thanks to our favorite artists. I recently spoke with some game devs for a review of their work, and they were overjoyed that someone took the time to contact them and praise their work. In fact, several years ago, I even got a response from Toby Fox when I sent him an email saying how much I loved Undertale and the good memories I made playing it with family. Naturally, most people as famous as Mr. Lee aren't going to be able to read every message sent their way, but consider sending some good will to the people who make the works that spice up your life, especially the folksdoing their best in the indie scene. It may mean more to them than one can ever know...

no matter how many times I say this Stan Lee will be missed definitely. He made some of my favorite characters and has a great sense of humor that made me enjoy a lot about marvel. I wanted to see him live around a 100 tbh but 95 is a great age to go out. rest in piece stan lee. EXCELSIOR!

Back