• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding the validity of Wally West's trans-time velocity feat

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Fraction of a second so infinitesimal no word exists to describe it" could easily be fullfilled by larger units of time such as a yoctosecond (0.000000000000000000000001 seconds). There's no logical reason to assume a Planck time.

HIT IT said:
"Fraction of a second so infinitesimal no word exists to describe it" could easily be fullfilled by larger units of time such as a yoctosecond (0.000000000000000000000001 seconds). There's no logical reason to assume a Planck time.
It's literally Said that No word exists to describe it

if they mean Yoctosecond They would say yoctosecond

not to mention in the context IIRC of the scene Flash is outracing teleporters So yeah

Dbfan and critic said:

Except you ca describe a Planck time. We've got a term for it, "planck time".

I'm with DBfan on this. Flash has a giant scientific background, and words like zeptosecond and attosecond get thrown around when referring to him. No words exist is likely true when referring to him.

HIT IT said:
Dbfan and critic said:

Except you ca describe a Planck time. We've got a term for it, "planck time".
They used planck time as a low end in the calc IIRC

@HIT IT, yes, but the point is that is even below that, so Planck Time here is a little low ball for the calc

AidenBrooks999 said:
@HIT IT, yes, but the point is that is even below that, so Planck Time here is a little low ball for the calc
I'm pretty sure you can't take it as literally as that. See what Saik said

Saikou The Lewd King said:
Seems more of an hyperbole to me.
Also, outracing teleports is most likely unquantifiable.
Well considering this is Flash Who Is heavily scientific And the omniscient narrator

I highly doubt it's hyperbole

Not to mention the Teleportation was described by the cosmic gamblers as "instantaneous"

Well considering this is Flash Who Is heavily scientific And the omniscient narrator

I highly doubt it's hyperbole

Not to mention the Teleportation was described by the cosmic gamblers as "instantaneous"

If he truly did outrun teleportation, he may have Infinite or higher speed

I agree with DBfan and Cal here.

• Flash in general is a very science themed character, with obscure phrases like "attosecond" and zeptosecond" frequently thrown around. Even in the particular story itself. They would've used yoctosecond or Plank Instant instead of the quite explicit "so small that no word exists to describe it." There is no vagueness in that statement or any other possible interpretation unless you want to claim it to be a hyperbole.
  • This comic in of itself was extremely over the top with multiple feats in the sextillions c and such.
  • Flash wasn't bragging about his speed to anyone. He was having an inner monolougue in which he was even saying to himself he's still too slow and humbling admitting that he needed help to get this fast.
Honestly from a character who has shown to be very scientific, with knowledge of obscure phrases and his own power, along with being rather humble and not at all tending to be hyping himself up, in a story that has shown to be completely over the top with feats to an absurd level, I think it is fair to accept this feat for him (at least as an amped thing and not his regular combat applicable speed.) Especially of we're to accept one off, random statements of "6x10^125 yojona" and such as true.

Ryukama said:
I'm not saying that the feat itself should be completely disregarded, only that the assumption of a Planck time is unjustified.

It was also performed when he was boosted, so it doesn't scale to his regular speed

@HIT

"I'm not saying that the feat itself should be completely disregarded, only that the assumption of a Planck time is unjustified."

How is it? It is clearly stated that there is no word or phrase in existence to describe it. If anything assuming a Plank Instant (a word/phrase that humans have created) as the timeframe is a lowball, unless you think the statement itself is a hyperbole, which I think in this case it's more likely not to be.

"It was also performed when he was boosted, so it doesn't scale to his regular speed"

I explictly said in my response "he needed help to get this fast" and "as an amped thing and not his regular combat applicable speed." So I agree with you in that regard.

Ryukama said:
@HIT

"I'm not saying that the feat itself should be completely disregarded, only that the assumption of a Planck time is unjustified."

How is it? It is clearly stated that there is no word or phrase in existence to describe it. If anything assuming a Plank Instant (a word/phrase that humans have created) as the timeframe is a lowball, unless you think the statement itself is a hyperbole, which I think in this case it's more likely not to be.

"It was also performed when he was boosted, so it doesn't scale to his regular speed"

I explictly said in my response "he needed help to get this fast" and "as an amped thing and not his regular combat applicable speed." So I agree with you in that regard.
There are words and phrases to describe pretty much every single unit of measurement imaginable. For example, a yoctoplanck time is a unit of measurment equal to 0.000000000000000000000001 Planck times, and you could invent terms like 1/FOST(10^100) seconds

Not sure what I was really thinking about when I made this thread. You can lock it if you want :|

Unless theres anyone willing to argue that it's an infinite speed feat or unquantifiable/an outlier/hyperbole/whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back