• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Profile image additions or replacements requests (New forum)

Sauron has two images coming from the movies (one is literally called film trilogy) despite him having a separate profile for his film version.
I was wondering if anyone can find good arts to use as replacements, as it was done with Gandalf, who previously had a movie render in his book profile.

Last edited:
A really good fan drawing is likely preferable to the movies, but official art if obviously even better.

The only official art I could find is this drawn by J.R.R Tolkien himself on his depiction of Sauron.

Krukov:

Thank you. That is better than nothing. You can use that until somebody find a better alternative then.

I do rather use the movie pics than the fan arts as they are more "official"
The problem is that we have separate pages for the movie versions of some of the characters.

I at least agree the pics should be renamed instead of "Film trilogy" It should mention humanoid form and eye form. Also, I do agree that fan art should be used to distinguish them from the movie profiles; if we didn't have the movie profiles, it would have been fine to use those; but it's now preferable to show a distinction.

How does Sauron's profile not have Tolkien's sketch of him? It's absurd to use anything but that, even if it's an unfinished drawing it should be on the gallery. There's fan art for all of Sauron's disguises, you'll find many in the Tolkien Gateway wiki.

Same goes for the Smaug image, what we have in his page is fan art and not the awesome drawing Tolkien did.

As I mentioned above, I agree about this. Is somebody willing to replace the current image?

The current image shows her entire body, is in colour, and is also less "suggestive" for a character that looks 13-14 years old, so I think that we should preferably keep it.

OPM profiles are currently changing their renders to manga renders, since it is the source material, the one in her profile is fanart I believe

Thinking that said render could be too suggestive, I also made this one

Last edited:
As I mentioned above, I agree about this. Is somebody willing to replace the current image?
For Smaug I have two, one would the be main image and the other would go in a gallery. The first is seen in maps and is the opening illustration for The Hobbit. The second is also by Tolkien, it appeared in the second English impression and the first edition in the US. These and one or two others are the only, truly official images for Smaug.

For Sauron we only have the water color sketch but for literary characters we can use illustrations from others so long as they're widely recognized or are faithful to the descriptions in the book. The Eye of Sauron is described, to summarize, as an eye similar to a cat's surrounded by fire. We could use this image by John Howe, since it's similar enough. The water color sketch can still be used, however.

Also, we gotta get rid of that gallery, it's all movie-related fan art. You can add book-influenced art but much of that needs to go.

Should we add pics of his many forms too (In the gallery)? He has the form of an Elf (Annatar the lord of gifts) and I think he was a bat and wolf too at some point.

OPM profiles are currently changing their renders to manga renders, since it is the source material, the one in her profile is fanart I believe

Thinking that said render could be too suggestive, I also made this one
Thank you. That seems fine to add to me.

Also, I am fine with the suggestions for Tolkien characters images.

It's from a panel where she was posed in a diagonal stance and her feet are cut off, that's what's weird.

It's also from way back in the early chapters of the manga, shortly before Boros' ship attacked.

It was, but people apparently decided that the OPM profiles all need manga images, so here we are.

Carnage Kabuto and a few others still have their anime/game renders.

I don't see the issue with them not being from the manga, we usually get better relaxed poses from anime renders and whatnot.

And several manga-only profiles on the wiki use anime renders (and many anime renders are full-body, like the profile images are supposed to be).

For Smaug I have two, one would the be main image and the other would go in a gallery. The first is seen in maps and is the opening illustration for The Hobbit. The second is also by Tolkien, it appeared in the second English impression and the first edition in the US. These and one or two others are the only, truly official images for Smaug.
What are people's opinions on this for Smaug's profile?

Thanks to everyone who has helped with Sauron's and other LotR images!
About Smaug, I think the second is good, being official and colored.

I also think that Tatsumaki's fan-drawn image looks better, and that images of what looks like a 13-14 year old girl who does not appear to wear panties have to be very careful to not be suggestive in any way.

I can restore the old image if you prefer.

Also, big thanks to everybody who are helping out with Lord of the Rings.

Back