• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible One Piece speed downgrade

Calculation 1: Thunder Bagua speed

Issue: Using that reaction time in calculation is calc stacking according to new standarts.

Calculation 2: Sanji dodging laser

Issue: The calculation uses distance from Queen's nose to Sanji's foot. Radius of explosion won't change much either since explosion has certain speed. Also, no, I don't think that everything there is based on "lowball" since even 180 degree rotation is very assumptive considering at the end he was in the same direction as in the beginning. Assuming that Sanji moved this distance until laser reaches foot is nonsense. If someone say that after repositioning, because of turning upside, Sanji should still move until laser travels 50cm distance, I don't think that would work. Because while leaning he will increase distance between him and laser so you can't use that timeframe for overall distance. I suggest using distance to the ground.

Panel

Sanji Height = 1.80m or 176 Pixel (Red Line)

1.80 / 176 = 0.01022727272 = 1 Pixel

Sanji Head = 0.21477272712m or 21 Pixels (Blue Line)

Panel

Queen's Nose = 0.34971428571429m or 44.102 Pixel (Red Line)

0.34971428571429 / 44.102 = 0.00792966953 = 1 pixel

Yellow Line = 244.616 Pixel or 1.93972404175m

Sanji's Distance From Screen

0.21477272712 * 335/[46.325 * 2 * tan(70deg/2)] = 1.1090515501

Sanji is 1.1090515501m away from screen

Queen's Distance From Screen

0.34971428571429 * 335/[44.102 * 2 * tan(70deg/2)] = 1.8968942409

Queen is 1.8968942409m away from screen

Pythagoras

sqrt((1.93972404175)^2 + ((1.8968942409 - 1.1090515501)^2) = 2.09361540489

Distance between Sanji and Queen is 2.09361540489m

5,65486678÷2.09361540489 = 2,7010055269903 c (FTL)

This was already discussed

This was already discussed
I see, but I don't think that these are same arguments as "it's obviously not 50 cm when you look at it". I don't understand why first one got rejected though.

Based on the earlier thread regarding timeframes, I am sure that calc 1 can be removed now.

The corrections for the Sanji dodging the laser calc seem fine but it would have to be put in its own blog and evaluated there.

Based on the earlier thread regarding timeframes, I am sure that calc 1 can be removed now.

The corrections for the Sanji dodging the laser calc seem fine but it would have to be put in its own blog and evaluated there.
Ok, I will make blog soon.

Tbh the concerns raised about the Sanji calc feel kind of like a nothing burger to me. I’d still favor Kachon’s calc

To elaborate further, going by the changed version of the calc, the laser would’ve hit Sanji’s legs before he moved. This is evidently not the case.

The current tally on this thread seems to suggest otherwise.

Tbh the concerns raised about the Sanji calc feel kind of like a nothing burger to me. I’d still favor Kachon’s calc

To elaborate further, going by the changed version of the calc, the laser would’ve hit Sanji’s legs before he moved. This is evidently not the case.
Obviously this calculation involves a lot of guesswork. That's why I think it would make more sense to calculate with lowball. KingTempest made the same calculation, and according to his interpretation, Sanji only used a 90-degree movement because he wouldn't logically be waiting with his feet in the air after falling to the ground. KingTempest's angle of action made more sense. I think this would be a more reasonable value for the calculation, which consists of many assumptions. Also, it seems more attractive to draw a pixel up to Sanji's face for the distance of the attack, as in Floxy's calculation. It seems a bit ridiculous that he did this move until the laser beams reached Sanji's feet. Because the target is not Sanji's feet, we don't know if his feet were in the air before the attack was fired

Last edited:
Are you looking at the tally for the last one?
Isn't that for something like:
There is a Mach 20 attack (6860 m/s) stated in-verse. We calculate the timeframe by seeing the character dodged 1 meter (Via pixel-scaling). Time = Distance/Speed. 1/6860 is 0.000145773 seconds perception timeframe.
And then using that as in another calculation is disqualifying. Luffy's LS statement is a perception speed statement. Using this stated timeframe (it being in another scene is not disqualifying) for the calculation shouldn't be calc stacking, and it doesn't involve any assumptions or fan-made numbers for the reactions.

Isn't that for something like:

And then using that as in another calculation is disqualifying. Luffy's LS statement is a perception speed statement. Using this stated timeframe (it being in another scene is not disqualifying) for the calculation shouldn't be calc stacking, and it doesn't involve any assumptions or fan-made numbers for the reactions.
I guess by the new standards this is considered compute stacking. We find the speed of light by calculating 1/299792458 to the perception time, and since this involves an additional calculation, using this value in other calculations constitutes calculation stacking.

I guess by the new standards this is considered compute stacking. We find the speed of light by calculating 1/299792458 to the perception time, and since this involves an additional calculation, using this value in other calculations constitutes calculation stacking.
No, not really. LS reaction times are a standard for this site. Saying that using a statement for Light Speed perception is like saying that someone dodging lightning is calc stacking. Luffy canonically has light speed perceptions and we have a standard figure for this so it can be used.

No, not really. LS reaction times are a standard for this site. Saying that using a statement for Light Speed perception is like saying that someone dodging lightning is calc stacking. Luffy canonically has light speed perceptions and we have a standard figure for this so it can be used.
You find the perception speed of 3.336 nanoseconds by making 1/299792458, which means it is found with a calculation. You cannot use this calculation for other calculations either. I know that CGMs accept this.

Last edited:
You find the perception speed of 336 nanoseconds by making 1/299792458, which means it is found with a calculation. You cannot use this calculation for other calculations either. I know that CGMs accept this.
This, yeah.

You find the perception speed of 336 nanoseconds by making 1/299792458, which means it is found with a calculation. You cannot use this calculation for other calculations either. I know that CGMs accept this.
This is stupid but I guess that's what's been agreed upon.

This, yeah.
So then you can never use light speed or any other speeds in perception for a calculation...?

Is what it seems you're suggesting? A stated perception speed makes no sense to be a calculation

Last edited:
So then you can never use light speed or any other speeds in perception for a calculation...?

Is what it seems you're suggesting? A stated perception speed makes no sense to be a calculation
We don't have a stated perception timeframe here.

We don't have a stated perception timeframe here.
We get that statement from luffy while reacting to a speed, how don't we have a stated perception time?

Would be no different from getting a statement from a Databook saying able to perceive the speed of light!

What I'm talking about is a timeframe, which we don't have unless it gets calced. Which then can't be used in another calc due to calc stacking.

Being "able to percieve the speed of light" is not a timeframe.
Yee it's not a timeframe (Assumed you meant perception time when saying that). It's a stated speed for luffy, which is why it can be used in a calculation

Yee it's not a timeframe (Assumed you meant perception time when saying that). It's a stated speed for luffy, which is why it can be used in a calculation
What is 0.000000003336 seconds to you? A speed or a timeframe?

No, Luffy just calls a light-speed attack slow. This does not mean that he has a perception speed of 0.00000000336 seconds. Because this result is a time found by dividing 1 by the speed of light.

a perception time that can be converted for a minimum of luffy's reaction speed
And that conversion process is a calc. That's what we're getting at. I'm not trying to be pedantic here; I'm just trying to get down to the essential issue so there's no confusion.

And that conversion process is a calc. That's what we're getting at.
No it is not... Then any stated speed or time is a calculation and becomes Calc stacking

Moving at the speed of light is 299 792 458 meter / a second

Meaning that's already a Calc and can't be used in a calculation, from what I'm seeing you're trying to say...
I'm not trying to be pedantic here; I'm just trying to get down to the essential issue so there's no confusion.
Yee but I've yet to see the issue of using a statement for perception in a calculation

Last edited:
@MonkeyOfLife It technically is, but we have a noted exception in our rules on Calc Stacking that covers that:
  • Using the calculated speed of a projectile to calculate the speed of a character dodging said projectile on the very same occasion is usually permitted, as long as the projectile wouldn't have changed its speed mid flight.
As long as we have no reason to think that a lightspeed projectile would have changed its speed, then using that value to calculate another person's speed in the same occasion is permitted. Hence why we have calcs of people dodging Kizaru's laser beams.

And that's if we disregard the fact that a stated speed is not actually the same thing as a calculated speed.

@MonkeyOfLife It technically is, but we have a noted exception in our rules on Calc Stacking that covers that:
  • Using the calculated speed of a projectile to calculate the speed of a character dodging said projectile on the very same occasion is usually permitted, as long as the projectile wouldn't have changed its speed mid flight.
As long as we have no reason to think that a lightspeed projectile would have changed its speed, then using that value to calculate another person's speed in the same occasion is permitted. Hence why we have calcs of people dodging Kizaru's laser beams.
and why doesn't that work with perception speed? There are many blitzing calcs that use average human perception

Back