• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokémon General Discussion Thread Gen VIII: Dragon keeps editing the title

The animation shows the moon being moved, in multiple games, and we know it requires the moon to be visible. The fact it shows the moon being moved, the moon being visible is required for it to work, and it can function regardless of the time of day and even makes it night briefly going by the animation, you get my point.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
Actually, it does. With the enforcement of the rule, the main topic was that if all sources can be used as support, they can be used as contradictions.
I feel like some sources should be used over others in terms of both support and contradictions.

@Gyro

We literally just had a massive thread over this in which the majority of people agreed with all of them being equal. You can make another thread if you wish as currently it has been added to one of our canon pages, can't remember which one.

The problem is that we need to prove that the move animation is literal, especially seeing as nothing else in the series supports this. And we also need to think about what the most obvious answer here is. The animations are simply used to show the moon giving energy and less that the Pokemon is literally moving said moon. The moon simply has to be out, however less visibility means less healing power.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
@Chariot
I feel we are arguing two things.

I am arguing that the moon is not being moved and instead the move gets different results due to certain weather obcuring the moon. I mean, that seems like the natural course of thought to me other than them literally moving the moon.
That's what I was thinking too.

There really isnt an issue here.

The animation is literal, why? Well for starters the moon has to be out as you said yourself, and as such when moonlight shows the moon being moved and making it night regardless of the time of day and most notably in games where night doesnt exist. The implicaton is pretty obvious. In games where night time doesnt exist but it shows the moon being moved, it being made night time temporarily and the pokemon healing itself, with the weather conditions effect it, still being a thing. It's clear what's happening.

It sure as hell aint clearly visible as it needs to be for the move to function.

Well then explain why weather conditions, even the simplest of such, nerf the shit out of it?

That's a clear implication that obscurity makes it not function right.

Because said weather is flat out blocking the amount of energy you get.

Should I also note that time of day nerfs this as well? If it's during the morning or daytime, the move only heals 1/4 the usual amount. If we were truly moving the moon and making it night, this wouldn't be an issue. At least in Gen 2.

During no weather, harsh sunlight and during the day, there is nothing blocking the energy of the moon from you as with hail, rain and sandstorms you have clouds and sand blocking the moon.

The fact that you still get energy even if the moon is blocked shows that it doesn't need to be clearly visible to give energy.

That's how you take that, but it's clear to me that it's the weather obscuring the moon, which makes it less effective, not the magic energy taken from it somehow being stopped by weather conditions.

And there you go, I didnt know that, while I disagree with your other arguments for a multitude of reasons, that's an actual point, and as such I can conceede to that because now there's only like one game that showcases it like that, not a handful.

Why you only decided to mention that now though is beyond me.

Although for your last bit, that wasnt my point, if something as simple as even rain could obscure the moon to the point it doesnt function properly, why the hell would it being day, where you cant even see the moon depending on where you are on the planet, make it act as intended.

...But I did say that the weather obscures the moon...

"During no weather, harsh sunlight and during the day, there is nothing blocking the energy of the moon from you as with hail, rain and sandstorms you have clouds and sand blocking the moon."

"The fact that you still get energy even if the moon is blocked shows that it doesn't need to be clearly visible to give energy."

"I am arguing that the moon is not being moved and instead the move gets different results due to certain weather obscuring the moon."

Yes, and the weather obscuring the moon was what I was arguing for.

We just disagree on why it mattered.

And no, I'm talking about the time of day point, if not for that I'd still continue disagreeing with you.

So we agreed that the moon was obscured.

"Although for your last bit, that wasnt my point, if something as simple as even rain could obscure the moon to the point it doesnt function properly, why the hell would it being day, where you cant even see the moon depending on where you are on the planet, make it act as intended. "

Because, the moon can still be seen during the day? I highly doubt the Pokemon company was thinking of moon placements here. Occam's Razor would imply that the moon is simply not obscured by anything on a clear sky when you use it.

Yeah, but still less so then like a light rain, hence my point.

Doesnt matter what Game Freak was thinking of if what actually happened goes against that. Occams Razer would imply the simplest thing, the thing we see would be simplest, not having to assume Game Freak doesnt know how day/night cycles work. Especially given the animations show the moon moving and it becoming night, although this conversation is kinda pointless now.

"Yeah, but still less so then like a light rain, hence my point. "

Even light rain would still have clouds that cover the moon.

"Occams Razer would imply the simplest thing, the thing we see would be simplest"

The simplest thing we would gather from what we see is that the Pokemon is getting power from the moon. Especially when nothing else in the series supports such a thing. Especially with everything we know of the move. The simplistic thing to assume is that on a clear sky, the moon is something we can see during the day. The logical course of action would to assume that moonlight still works well during a clear sky as the moon is still visible.

I know, but we still get a pokémon game every year, right? That's because the Game Freak team is more divided than a pizza into portions.

I honestly wouldn't mind having a Pokémon game every 3/4 years, and I think the concept of third version is outdated.

Also, regarding the development. We also have to think about the fact that SwSh doesn't have the full staff iirc. As they have people focused on Home. Meaning SwSh is dealing with cut staff which is another issue.

And Town

GF desperately needs to hire more people, Ubisoft for example, is a company that makes annual games but also has a number of 9000 employees.

Honestly, SwSh is basically not given the full attention of TPC and as such is short on developers due to Town and Home.

How many times have gamers called a game bad before the launch date and been proven wrong when the game released? Alot, like a alot of times. I thought we learned our lesson a long time ago, but apparently we haven't...

NeoZex6399 said:
I know, but we still get a pokémon game every year, right? That's because the Game Freak team is more divided than a pizza into portions.
I honestly wouldn't mind having a Pokémon game every 3/4 years, and I think the concept of third version is outdated.
We do but you gotta remember that every other game is basically entirely reused assests (sm to usum). Very little has to actually get made for most games, only games with a new setting need actual full time effort to make, even more so after Creatures went and handed Game Freak pokemon models that they're still using to this day along with animations, I think the actual issue is how assbackward Game Freak is in hiring new staff and fresh blood. It worked for Nintendo, Game Freak should do the same.

Well, about the direct... I hope there are more regional forms, and if it is possible that they aren't from gen 1 (for obvious reasons), also I hope they show some new city and something about the legendary pokémon.

And I hope Nintendo and Atlus announce SMTV's release date once and for all.

Peter "Quicksilver" Maximoff said:
How many times have gamers called a game bad before the launch date and been proven wrong when the game released? Alot, like a alot of times. I thought we learned our lesson a long time ago, but apparently we haven't...
Every single game ever honestly, hat's the internet for ya. I think the difference being most tend to be unfounded claims, this aint exactly unfounded though. Not to say it will be bad in the way you're using the word, but way worse than it actually could be? That's a gurantee.

Peter "Quicksilver" Maximoff said:
The inverse happened more to, DK Forever and Fallout 76 are prove if that

NeoZex6399 said:
Well, about the direct... I hope there are more regional forms, and if it is possible that they aren't from gen 1 (for obvious reasons), also I hope they show some new city and something about the legendary pokémon.
And I hope Nintendo and Atlus announce SMTV's release date once and for all.
Oh yeah, I want new forms, galaar zigzagoon was cool as shit, I like ot's more badger aesthetic with the punk look. I want a galaar vespiquen honestly. Please buff it...

@Peter

There are also many cases where a game was believed to be awesome and ended up being disappointing.

Also Pokémon has been dragging certain problems since gen 6, like the lack of a good postgame or a reduced amount of new pokémon.

Also the story of Gen 5 remains the best.

I mean, with the new Pokemon, they were fitting in over 700+ models on the 3DS, so the lack of new Pokemon makes sense tbh. Also define a "good postgame" because I view USUM and ORAS' post game to be pretty good.

Well, now there's no excuse.

If they're not going to add all the pokémon, at least that they add a lot of new pokémon in the next games.

I mean, we have to wait on that as we don't know how many new Pokemon there so we can't judge them on that just yet.

Back