• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokémon General Discussion Thread Gen VIII: Dragon keeps editing the title

It wasnt a joke calc. The calc itself was right and the math checked out and would of been totally usable if it wasnt an outier. A joke as in it's pointless to even calc it. I think, idk ask cal. Kukui is trying to claim it isnt an outlier for high end legends basically. You can read why above.

Because Kukui explained why, I dont agree with him but come on, at least read the thread.

According to the blog's context, Cal seemed to treat it just like his Morning Sun calc, i.e a joke calc. So, unless we play revisionist history and say those were serious, they are jokes.

But are the calcs wrong? If the calcs arent wrong then even if it was a joke, it could still be applied if reason for those being applied are found.

I dont agree with applying them but cal's intentions doesnt make the calcs in question wrong.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
According to the blog's context, Cal seemed to treat it just like his Morning Sun calc, i.e a joke calc. So, unless we play revisionist history and say those were serious, they are jokes.
What you never heard of a serious joke before? Also, why should we argue with Professor Kukui, isn't he the Pokemon Moves expert?

NeoZex6399 said:
I'm sure Moonlight and Moonblast are just colorful magic.
Moonblast I'm pretty sure yeah. But to be fair, Moonlight explicitly shows the moon moving in some games if im not wrong, like stadium.

The safest thing to assume is that the Pokémon are only summoning the image of the moon or creating a portal that brings them moonlight.

I disagree because alot of normal mons can learn that move. Matter of fact, i don't think that the animation of moves should be considered when we are doing the Pokémon profiles unless it is a exclusive move of a legendary, otherwise, alot of mons that learn those moves via Level-up will be considered PIS

HenryWong122 said:
What you never heard of a serious joke before? Also, why should we argue with Professor Kukui, isn't he the Pokemon Moves expert?
Prove this was a "serious joke" please.

First off Neo, the fact its effect and potency changes depending on the weather, and low visibility weather actually hinders its effect, disproves your point. The fact the actual moon being visible or not visible changes it power throws out portals and the like as a alternative.

Moonlight from what I can tell is legit, I just have issues applying it and not treating it as a outlier.

They just gather energy from the moon, they not explicit move it. It could be just like that Seismic Toss thing, where it is only to visuals

I think there's a huge misconception here.

THe feats in question involve moving the moon to perform said attacks (moonlight works regardless of time of day and the animations imply actual moon moving, especially given that the moon is required to be visible to use it) not the actual energy blast after the fact.

Once again, I dont agree with applying em but Moonlight by all accounts does involve moon moving in most incarnations.

How has Moonlight been used in the anime? The manga doesn't have moon movement for it. Is there anything supporting these moves as moon movement?

Drite77 said:
This will be like that Seismic Toss thing, i swear
It probably will be yeah, doesnt mean the calcs aint legit though, we just cant use em.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
How has Moonlight been used in the anime? The manga doesn't have moon movement for it. Is there anything supporting these moves as moon movement?
Other than the games showing it as such and taking precedence over other canons. idk, i dont even think the manga or anime even follow the main rule of the moon has to be visible for it to even function properly.

We actually had a massive thread about this. Seeing as Pokemon pages are composites, all canons are treated as equal.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
We actually had a massive thread about this. Seeing as Pokemon pages are composites, all canons are treated as equal.
Then it doesnt matter what other things showcase it as. If all canons are equal then if one shows it as such, another one wont take away from that. Kinda like leaf blade or dragon claw, sometimes it's energy blades, sometimes it's actual leaf blades or claws with no energy.

Actually, it does. With the enforcement of the rule, the main topic was that if all sources can be used as support, they can be used as contradictions.

There's more times it shows the moon being moved, regardless of time of day, with the rule that the moon has to be actually visible to have it function properly, then any other type of showing.

I mean, would it not simply be that they are using the moon to get energy and that the animation is simply showing that they get energy from the moon instead of literally moving it? Why would they move the moon when it's always out?

The real cal howard said:
For once I agree with Dragon here.
I agree that it shouldnt be used. I disagree though that the feat in question is wrong.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
I mean, would it not simply be that they are using the moon to get energy? Why would they move the moon when it's always out?
Because that's how it works? Even weather conditions can massively nerf the move's effect making you only restore a small fraction because the moon is no longer visible.

Wait are we talking about my Moonlight calc? That was fully a joke and as serious as 4-C Espeon. You'd be better off arguing High 5-A Dusclops.

I am, but it being a joke dont matter cal if the math is right, and the move actually functions like you calced it to act. Doesnt mean it aint an outlier, it is a outlier, but the move still functions like that.

@Chariot

I feel we are arguing two things.

I am arguing that the moon is not being moved and instead the move gets different results due to certain weather obcuring the moon. I mean, that seems like the natural course of thought to me other than them literally moving the moon.

Back