• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokegods and anti-regen

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
I'm gonna put this in simple terms. I'm making pasta and don't wanna take up too much time.

The creation trio can learn Heal Block, which stops any and all healing (Potions, Berries, Absorb and co., Recover and co. Aqua Ring and co.,). Arceus created them. He gets it too.

This stops ''healing'' not ''Regenerationn''. All of the healing methods in Pokemon are generated by an outside or situational effect. So it's not really Regenerationn since it's not innate.

@Weekly

It's described in-game as this up to D/P:

"A self-healing move."

And this onward:

"Restoring its own cells."

It must be instigated and is not automatic, thus not Regenerationn.

Technically Healing is Regen in a sense mainly because one you can regen from wounds. Two even then does it always have to be inate regen? I don't know if there were any discussions regarding inate regen and those that isn't inate at all.

@Starkiller

Let's put it from this perspective:

Would a doctor's intervention be considered natural Regenerationn? Of course not. They're intervening in your recovery to speed things up.

Regenerationn is completely autonomous. You don't think when your body regenerates the skin cells necessary to close a cut. Wolverine doesn't think about regenerating. Neither does Deadpool.

Yes, there's a difference.

@Weekly

Maybe, but that might be iffy considering the fact that it only triggers after being switched out and stuck back in a Poke Ball (thus another source of external intervention).

@GameHearo

Still needs an outside source to regenerate.

In any case though, healing is basically the repairing of damaged cells and etc, as mention on https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healing:

With physical damage or disease suffered by an organism, healing involves the repair of living tissue, organs and the biological system as a whole and resumption of normal functioning. It is the process by which the cells in the body regenerate and repair to reduce the size of a damaged or necrotic area and replace it with new living tissue. The replacement can happen in two ways: by Regenerationn in which the necrotic cells are replaced by new cells that form similar tissue as was originally there; or by repair in which injured tissue is replaced with scar tissue. Most organs will heal using a mixture of both mechanisms.

Also we are using game mechanics to a extent here.

You can't get healed with "passive" regen moves like Aqua Ring or Wish either. Technically, you can still use the former, but the health boost won't kick in.

@Starkiller

I still believe in creating a distinction between healing and Regenerationn due to the difference in mechanics.

We have no idea how Regenerator works otherwise, since it's only been shown to work after the player switches out their Pokemon.

Regardless even if there is a difference between Regenerationn and healing in mechanics, they still have the same concept of repairing from internal and external damage like a cut wound.

@Starkiller

Fiction tends to make a distinction between them.

For example, Lancer's Gáe Bolg nullifies Regenerationn, but magical healing can be administered to seal the wound if applied fast enough

@Rep Hmmm even with magical healing, I recall something about taking time to regen even with healing. Not all parts of fiction, but I feel they still have a similar concept either way.

Healing can be applied to others, per our own definition. Regenerationn is self only. Heal Block stops both. Things that can be applied to others, like Wish, berries,and potions, and self, like Recover, Ingrain, and Leech Life.

So is this anti-regen or not? I just saw this thread and I kinda put "Can cancel Regen" on Latios' file since we count Recover as regen here.

Regenerationn isnt but self-healing (a specific type of healing) it isnt always passive (remember cell? when he got his right half busted he had to concentrate to regen) so... yeah, heal block should qualify as anti-regen.

Edit: btw, negating healing > negating Regenerationn since it impossibilitates self Regenerationn even with an external source.

I agree with this being anti-regen, however, people forget that there are different kinds / levels of regen blocking. I.E.judging from Recover's description, it sounds like it blocks regen up to a limited level of Low-High Regen (Mainly the cells part, but from how recover is used, I think realistically it would be Mid-Low)

Does Arceus have Heal Block? If not, then he doesn't get the ability, it would just mean he has power bestowal but not necessarily the ability.

^there is a note on his page explaining that due to he nature as God of the pokeverse and such he is believe to posses every single pokemon ability.

On a side note: heal block can block Regenerationn/healing from intangible/spiits and conceptual beings (ghost pokemon and Creation Trio can use it on each other) so... it isnt only limited to cells (do ghosts have cells? or concepts have atoms?). Its more like a lolnope to regen in general tbh.

^While he is considered the God, it was never stated that he had every single ability.

Ghost type Pokemon probably are made of something else similar or cells, (They're not non-corporeal or intangible like actual ghosts for the most part, some ghost types aren't even actually ghosts)

Ghost types vary a lot tbh, Gastly is stated to be made of gas, while gengar is made of shadows (this is best seen in the manga)... so idk.

I am here.

I am sandwich.

I am all atoms.

I am above all, and transcend all.

I am supreme.

I am... that one guy you saw in the Parking Lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back