• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Official Calculations Discussion Thread

Howdy! how would one of y'all tackle a feat like this one where roger from American dad moves fast enough to perceive a bus moving in slow motion
Use the slow-mo formula.

Person's True Speed= (Object's true speed/Object's Apparent Speed) * Person's Apparent Speed

Object's true speed is self-explanatory

Object's apparent speed is the speed you see the object moving at within that dilated timeframe

Person's Apparent speed is the speed you see the person moving at within that dilated timeframe

If I have a fictional world map that shows fictional countries like this, can I use the circumference of the planet to measure the size of the countries?
You'd need an actual globe to pull it off (Since flatmaps skew out the size of countries to unrealistic proportions), which I'm sure would hide most of the countries, but if there are any defining landmarks there, I suppose so? It's a lot of heavy work to do tho, no telling where what part can suddenly have inconsistent sizes and such.

Well, maps don't change the size of countries on a massive scale, right? As far as I can remember we often use maps to measure the size of things like explosions

Well, maps don't change the size of countries on a massive scale, right? As far as I can remember we often use maps to measure the size of things like explosions
Well those usually have stated distances or some distinct landmarks or some unique appearances that have actual stated distances.

Well, at least for the IRL world with IRL countries and continents that's not much of an issue, but fictional landmasses? That's where things get tricky.

So Iron Monger has a feat in Iron Man 1 where he crushes Tony's helmet
I wanted to ask if this would just be standard crushing calc or if it requires taking the hollowness of the helmet into account somehow
Definitely requires hollowness to be taken into account but uh... don't we have IRL replicas made of the same stuff? Use those I guess?

Definitely requires hollowness to be taken into account but uh... don't we have IRL replicas made of the same stuff? Use those I guess?
Would i just look for the force needed to crush one of the replicas then? Also i kinda doubt there's replicas of the helmet made out of gold-titanium alloy tbh

So is there any way to do the calc (also i should have specified i want to calc the LS since i feel like my comment could have been misunderstood)?

Not sure, we'd need an exact replica that has better-than-tank-armor capabilities.

a little odd idea i just had, not sure if this would work since i came up with it in 1 minute but how about taking the force needed to crush an actual human head (since the helmet is head shaped) and multiplying that by the difference in compressive strength between bone and the alloy?
Again doubt this would work, especially since skulls aren't exactly hollow (they have brains in them after all) but i'm just throwing out some ideas

a little odd idea i just had, not sure if this would work since i came up with it in 1 minute but how about taking the force needed to crush an actual human head (since the helmet is head shaped) and multiplying that by the difference in compressive strength between bone and the alloy?
Again doubt this would work, especially since skulls aren't exactly hollow (they have brains in them after all) but i'm just throwing out some ideas
AFAIK such a scenario doesn't exist yet, Obadiah crushed the helmet in his hand.

I expected

But I don't think it is a calculable feat, since it is an heat based calc using the temperature of lightning in the water.
I don't think that factor would be much of a problem since the heat energy is causing the explosion making it analogous to other sources that would cause a comparable explosion size from underwater. So finding a TnT equivalent wouldn't strike me as much of an issue.

I'm calcing a feat and the destruction is done via fire, the fire is able to melt iron and it caused a crater that left nothing around it but flames and vapor coming off from the ground. Is there something I should do or should I take the standard the vap value?

I'm calcing a feat and the destruction is done via fire, the fire is able to melt iron and it caused a crater that left nothing around it but flames and vapor coming off from the ground. Is there something I should do or should I take the standard the vap value?
i think so?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but the standard vap value should essentially be the same as the long way around; from the page this is exactly the case with titanium. Which would be getting the specific heat capacity (energy needed to heat the material up 1 degree), boiling point, and latent heat of fusion/vaporization (energy needed to change its state to liquid/gas).

How do I calculate the combat speed of someone who can swing a sword 10,000x in one breath at FTL speeds?

Do I just get the amount of swings done in a second and multiply by baseline FTL speed (3x10^8ms-¹)?

Back