• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Nasuverse Discussion Board 23

Well, more difficult than impossible but

Has to do with the fact that, MAINLY, the incredible mysticism and greatness of the actions of people started decreasing with time. Beinf a hero was hard, and hardly anything would qualify you for that. Saving the world or dooming it was as simple and as common as a company debating whether to cut down or leave alone a forest. Doing something truly impossible or standing out among the masses in a way meaningful for a Heroic Spirit just became harder and harder with time.

I don't

I also think that the plot is written around Gilgamesh whenever there's no plot armor for the Protagonist, so hey, what do I know.

We should probably clarify that this is just becoming a heroic spirit via a legend. If you become a heroic spirit via cutting a deal with the counter force, that can basically be done in any time period

I could maybe buy that for the past two decades, but the idea that nearly no one in the past two centuries has distinguished themselves is ludicrous to anyone who thinks about it for more than three minutes. We already have servants who are relatively indistinguished anyway.

"Relatively" is the main word here.

Plus, the closest Servant we actually have is Mata Hari if I remember right and she's immensely weak. That's at least a century and it shows on her, so I am way more open about considering the idea.

I won't get into a argument since im on mobile, but the weakness is from lack of mystery, not lack of distinction

@Yobo

Not meaning to argue about it, but I don't think you got what I meant. Someone outstanding beyond the masses being born is not as much of a thing anymore, not to mention that, again, the scale of things like affecting a nation or saving the world is not at all the same as before either. When you factor in the decreased strength of humans overall and modern weapons equalizing battles between people so much, it makes a lot of sense that no one is "the one that stands out". Even Billy's A++ Marksmanship marks him as a one in a century genius with guns, which should tell you the kind of thing that was needed.

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
@Yobo

Not meaning to argue about it, but I don't think you got what I meant. Someone outstanding beyond the masses being born is not as much of a thing anymore, not to mention that, again, the scale of things like affecting a nation or saving the world is not at all the same as before either. When you factor in the decreased strength of humans overall and modern weapons equalizing battles between people so much, it makes a lot of sense that no one is "the one that stands out". Even Billy's A++ Marksmanship marks him as a one in a century genius with guns, which should tell you the kind of thing that was needed.
Still not sure I get what you mean.

To put it simply:

- It's much harder to do things now that would stand you out as a legend or could be called "grand achievements", because world changing decisions and actions are a day to day thing pretty much.

- One way or another, Heroic Spirits stand out. In a day and age where a human standing out so much he could be called "one of a kind" across all the world is way harder, especially when modern weapons equalize humans so much and learning to shoot a gun expertly isn't as stand out as learning to shoot a bow or use a sword expertly.

At least going off what Nasu has commented for the Nasuverse. Bi

Let me use an example of a Servant's legend. Siegfried slayed a Dragon and bathed in its blood, granting him the ability to talk to animals and invulnerability except for the spot on his back where a leaf prevented dragon blood from getting on it. He also gained the dragon's gold. Now, using a present day human, explain how they would be able to create a legend of similar mystery and potency.

If it's the mystery of it, that seems reasonable. But standing out is something that's achieved by a lot of people in the past two centuries. Obviously they're going to be weaker as they don't have the same mystery as those from the age of the Gods, but the actual qualifying legends still stand out. It's perfectly reasonable to carve out a legend for yourself in a time of gunpowder and machinery, especially when combative powers aren't necessary for Heroic Spirit Qualification

DragonEmperor23 said:
Let me use an example of a Servant's legend. Siegfried slayed a Dragon and bathed in its blood, granting him the ability to talk to animals and invulnerability except for the spot on his back where a leaf prevented dragon blood from getting on it. He also gained the dragon's gold. Now, using a present day human, explain how they would be able to create a legend of similar mystery and potency.
Is the mystery really the issue though? And what qualifies as potency?

I mean, that's a legend befitting a hero, but just see the issue with Jack the Ripper when he's invoked as the embodiment of the mysterious nature of what was truly Jack the Ripper, a "legend" of great and multifaceted renown. It allowed him to become a surprisingly strong Servant under the right circumstances, because the magnitude of a legend is not just what happened in it but how prevalent it is among the people. Sieg is strong because his legend is big in his area, but he was likewise very strong when he was ACTUALLY alive. Jack on the other hand only has his legend to rely on because he's nobody, but that legend is massive and spread to all corners. Another example is Vlad, who is only as strong as he is under the double boost of being in his homeland and being inside his designated territory, which makes him even stronger. Yet still, he can match 5 Servants all of impeccable caliber the moment he uses his NP based on the legend of dracula, a massive and very popular legend to this day.

Leaving aside that humans now a day aren't very capable of reaching the level of Sieg or maybe even Vlad, so they don't get much power from who they were in life, establishing a legend of such magnitude and prevalence IS incredibly difficult, much more difficult than before, and that's the other main issue.

Reaching a level equal to Vlad is certainly possible. And maybe, like I said, that would be true for the past two decades, but a lot of individuals have come up in the past 200 with well known stories as well. Sure, they may be weaker, but being weak isn't part of the issue with overall Servant qualification.

By potency, I mean that a human slayed a Phantasmal Beast and became mostly invulnerable. What modern day human would be able to do something on that level? Like, give an example of a modern day human doing something worthy of being recorded on the Throne.

DragonEmperor23 said:
By potency, I mean that a human slayed a Phantasmal Beast and became mostly invulnerable. What modern day human would be able to do something on that level? Like, give an example of a modern day human doing something worthy of being recorded on the Throne.
Two things:

You don't have to do something on that level to qualify as a heroic spirit. We have plenty of Servants who qualify just based on shooting pirates or writing books.

We aren't arguing about modern humans, we're arguing about the past two centuries as a whole. Big difference.

Blackbeard is the most well known pirate in history. Fame and Mystery go a long way in the process of making a Servant.

Right, so give an example.

No clue, there may be some further nuances that they don't tell us.

And I still don't see why you keep mentioning 2 centuries when the latest we have seen is, again, Mata Hari. It just means it becomes way harder by that time but it's not impossible. We do know there are figures like Michelangelo, Dahut and Charles Nodier that didn't become Heroic Spirts.

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
No clue, there may be some further nuances that they don't tell us.

And I still don't see why you keep mentioning 2 centuries when the latest we have seen is, again, Mata Hari. It just means it becomes way harder by that time but it's not impossible. We do know there are figures like Michelangelo, Dahut and Charles Nodier that didn't become Heroic Spirts.
Iirc that's supposed to be the cut off date that gets brought up most places with Servant qualification. If it was stated to be something else required for qualification that would make sense.

Honestly, it's more reasonable to say that most spirits younger that 200 are too weak to be worth summoning, which is a lot more reasonable.

DragonEmperor23 said:
Isnt a legacy another word for descendants, what does that have to do with heroic spirit qualifications
Technically it means how much money you put in your will, but it's used as other things like meaning "legend", for example.

Where was 200 years stated, then? I don't quite remember that. The mere existence of Billy the Kid, who has 3 decades to go before even his birth was 2 centuries ago, would seriously refute that idea.

Was that an in-verse thing or was it said in a forum?

Back